Meanwhile, Another Vote to Defund Obamacare

Congressional Republicans want to have their pandering cake and eat it too by scheduling a vote to defund Obamacare ahead of a separate vote to fund the federal government.

House Republican leaders are proposing a plan in a conference meeting Tuesday to force a symbolic Senate vote on defunding Obamacare but will stop short of shutting down the federal government if the Senate vote fails, as expected.

The proposal, sketched out to TPM by a GOP leadership aide, is designed to give conservatives the vote they seek on defunding the health care law without risking a confrontation that could result in a government shutdown when money runs out on Sept. 30.

This is essentially a “cave” or at least an admission that defunding Obamacare is a pipedream at best, but the GOP has backed itself into a corner where they can’t afford to not vote to defund Obamacare.

They’ve hyped the idea so much to their caucus and their constituents, as seen at town hall meetings during the month of August, that they can’t afford to let the next month pass without voting to defund it again. They have to save face.

By my count, this will mark the 41st attempt to defund Obamacare. This is reportedly symbolic but, if we’re being honest, so were the last 40 attempts.

This entry was posted in Congress, Healthcare and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Everyone who makes under 400% of the national poverty rate will be eligible for government subsidized health insurance. More people will be eligible for MEDICAID. In spite of the “get government out of my MEDICARE” idiocy, a whole lot of people are about to find out that they can get affordable health care. Many idiots will still vote Republican, but you can bet that the ones who aren’t totally deranged are going to take advantage of the Market Exchange or sign on to MEDICAID.

  • ninjaf

    It is the House that has voted dozens of times to defund the ACA. I don’t know how many times the Senate has done so, if at all.

    Splitting hairs, I know, but it is better to be clear and not lump all of the votes together.

  • Schneibster

    Actually I think the 42nd attempt will be symbolic in Hitchhiker’s Guide terms.

    • muselet

      “I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.”

      –alopecia

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    My only reaction is: You have to be fucking kidding me!
    More time and taxpayer money wasted on total unadulterated nonsense.
    Why am I not surprised it’s the Teabagger Congress.

    • Schneibster

      Baggots, baggers, bagroes, teatraitors, teapublicans, Republican-Americans.
      Teagroes, white trash, trailer trash, inbred meth cooks.

      People who failed in school because they were stupid and therefore hate it and don’t want to spend any taxes on it.

        Now, now. A lot of those people were likely the victim of authoritarian parents and poverty. They fear being in last place and are so afraid of being labeled as stupid or ignorant that they can’t learn. Most of them feel inferior and it eats them alive every day. “White trash” were looked down upon by slaves. On some level, they know this and are too afraid to surrender their outlook.

        I think it is possible for them to change, but they are particularly susceptible to the screeching of Fox news and their preachers, and now, to the bottom-feeders in Congress. I think that regardless of how and what they balk at, that anything done to help the impoverished and uneducated will benefit them and make them more likely to turn down the alarms in their heads and start to think differently. I imagine that Obama knows this and wants to benefit them for pragmatic and humanitarian purposes.

        • Schneibster

          The other more charitable way to look at it is, they’re the followers that every large mammal hunt leader needs.

          I still hate them when they repeat racist memes.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        Tihadists. Teatards. Tea-ballin’.

    • Zen Diesel

      The turds from the Teabaggins Congress are plucking my last nerve with this bullshit. How fucking stupid do they think sane Americans are?

      • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

        I’m with you Zen.
        “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting
        different results.”
        That kind of sums up our do-nothing congress and the party of no, nothing, nada, no way, nix, nope…..

        • Zen Diesel

          If only the President would work with Congress to repeal his signature bill….lol.

    “Congressional Republicans want to have their pandering cake and eat it too”

    I’m seriously hoping that Obamacare kicks into high gear and really, really works so that these jerks will choke that cake.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I think they must’ve thought that with all the talk surrounding Syria, Democrats would get distracted and inadvertently vote yes to abolishing Obamacare.

  • mrbrink

    Because a secession vote would be indiscreet.

    • Schneibster

      A secession vote in the House of Representatives would be a major gaffe.

    • D_C_Wilson

      It’s only a matter of time.

      • mrbrink

        I consider it the subtext of every vote they take.