Mike Lee Really Hates Regulation of Toilet Water

Picard and Riker Facepalm

As water levels in Utah hit a 20-year low amid record drought, Utah Senator and government shutdown aficionado Mike Lee’s primary concern is not how to repair the damage but rather the government telling people they can’t water their rock gardens.

Currently, water reservoirs have reached a 20-year low as a drought rages on across the state.

Even so, the Beehive State’s junior senator took aim Saturday at what he views as the real problem: not water shortages, but “oppressive” government regulations that make it slightly more difficult for people to use as much water as they want.

Appearing at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) outside St. Louis, Lee gave a lengthy speech against what he saw as government impinging on the rights of Americans. He lambasted the federal government for regulating “everything from how many grams of riboflavin are listed as being contained in your breakfast cereal to how many gallons of water your toilet can flush.”

In hindsight, it should’t be a surprise that Mike Lee was the first to begin seeking allies for a government shutdown in July of this year. After all, the federal government is regulating his riboflavin. Or something.

By the way, why is riboflavin in breakfast cereals regulated? So people who can’t afford to eat eggs Benedict each morning can properly account for nutritional value. But, you know, fuck those people. Stupid poor people. And those kids who eat cereal every day? Get lost.

To be fair, Senator Mike Lee is clearly full of shit so I can understand why he would have a problem with low-flush toilets.

This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ArrogantDemon

    I need Michelle Obama to come out & say how bad it is to drink water straight from the loo & let the hilarity commence

    But hey, he can always use Brondo to help Utah out of its drought too

    Why is Lee blathering on about eau de toilette? Do his followers know he being all poncy?

  • Lady Willpower

    TYRANNY!!!

    The entire Republican party has become a joke. All of them. We’ve had our share of loony Dems over the years, but nothing approaching this. They’re ALL fucking nuts.

      All the loony Dems laid end to end don’t equal the nuckin’ futtery of just Mike Lee, and he’s not the worst of the lot.

  • trgahan

    Yeah, he’s a treasure coming from the western State consistently ranked worst in water management.

    Like all white male members in good standing of the church he belongs to, capitalism is defined as fleecing/defrauding anyone you’re smarter, stronger, and/or more resourced than. So the government not allowing you to sell harmful products filled with riboflavin is indeed tyranny to them (second and third vacation mansions don’t pay for themselves you know!).

    He is also the same man who told oil and gas companies that it’s a proven fact they manage land quality and environment better than any federal or state agency ever has. No one in the room laughed…

    “Senator Mike Lee is clearly full of shit so I can understand why he would have a problem with low-flush toilets.”

    That, my friend, is FTW

  • muselet

    Mike Lee went on to complain about how it’s evil for government to regulate light bulbs.

    Righties are obsessed with toilets and light bulbs. I’m sure that signifies something, but I’m not sure what.

    –alopecia

    • Nefercat

      “Righties are obsessed with toilets and light bulbs. I’m sure that signifies something, but I’m not sure what.”

      It signifies that they are full of shit, and completely in the dark as far as, well, everything. Oh, and that they don’t like light being shined on them. Kind of like cockroaches.

      • muselet

        Well, yes, but I was kind of trying not to go there.

    The Republicans and wingnuts (yeah, I’m being redundant) have convinced themselves that government regulation is the source of every problem. Every problem ever is somehow caused by the government.

    Pay no mind to the reality that there just isn’t enough water to go around, that it just doesn’t exist. Nope, the only reason you can’t use as much as you want is because of government regulations that limit water use.

    Clearly, if any restrictions on water use were abolished the reservoirs would magically fill up.

    • Christopher Foxx

      … to how many gallons of water your toilet can flush

      The reason for that is to ensure sufficient water is available for the other things it’s needed for. Essentially to take a common resource and manage it for the maximum general good.

      These basic concepts of managing resources is and promoting the general welfare are, of course, completely incomprehensible to “conservatives”.

      They are, at their core and on the surface, selfish little babies.

  • Teddy’s Person

    I moved to Utah about a year ago and have consistently been shocked by how much people water their lawns. Granted, they all have these spectacularly green lawns. But I just want to scream – “you live in a flippin’ desert, deal with some brown grass or plant the appropriate foliage.” I rent in a townhouse community, and they water the lawn so much that sometimes it’s too wet to mow. The waste just makes me sick, but I understand why Lee would be vocal on this issue. It resonates with the folks around these parts. That said, Lee and the GOP are all assholes.

    • feloniousgrammar

      All the golf courses in Arizona? I do want to steal their golfs, and the American lawn is one toxic, resource consuming piece of nothing I would love to see extinguished. Too many little lords, not enough citizens who give a damn about their community— this does not bode well for human adaptation which = human survival.