North Carolina Now Requires a Drug Test to Receive Welfare

Yep. What an awful, awful idea. People with genuine problems won’t be allowed to, you know, buy food anymore. Worse yet, they have to pay out of pocket for the test.

The North Carolina state Senate voted Wednesday to overrule Gov. Pat McCreary’s veto against testing applicants for public assistance for drugs and implement the policy anyway. According to the American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina (ACLU-NC), the state House voted Tuesday to move forward with the tests, which will require some applicants to pay out of pocket for the tests before they can qualify for benefits.

When he vetoed the drug testing bill (North Carolina House Bill 392), he called the measure “a recipe for government overreach and unnecessary government intrusion…that is not a smart way to combat drug abuse.”

And I’m sure Jesus would do the same thing. Feed the poor — but ask them to piss in a cup first. Which New Testament verse is that?

(ht David Benowitz)
This entry was posted in North Carolina and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_am_allwrite

    McCrory, who’s otherwise been a useless dick and has an approval rating in the 30s, has told Health and Human Services not to implement the law because (naturally) the bill doesn’t include funding for the drug testing. He also said that if the legislature is going to approve any additional funding it should go towards education, not this idiot program, which is probably unconstitutional anyway.
    Gerrymandering has fucked this state but good.

  • trgahan

    I think it’s in the Loaves and Fishes parable when Jesus told the apostles had to go forth and pisseth test the moochers before feeding them the Doritos and soda while Jesus passed the time short selling the bond market and attending think tank policy strategy meetings in Aspen….or maybe I have a bad translation of the Bible…

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    And these people call themselves Christians?!
    I have a better name for them; despicable, narrow minded and heartless human beings.
    Stick that in your buybull and thump it!

    • JWheels

      I would just call them fascists.

  • Norbrook

    Considering the fact that previous testing efforts elsewhere have shown that there are only a miniscule percentage of “positives,” it’s an absolute waste of time and money to do it. However, Republican idiots (or is that redundant?) have as an article of faith that the only people who need welfare (and are not white) are doing so because they’re druggies.

      For the cost of testing they might be able to send the people who have a bona fide drug problem to rehab, which would be a subset of people who use drugs. Alcoholics won’t be caught in the dragnet— that’s actually a good thing in this situation. Addicts and their children need to eat.

      What dreadful people Republicans are. It’s so easy for them to punish the poor.

      • Christopher Foxx

        people who have a bona fide drug problem to rehab, which would be a subset of people who use drugs

        The extent of the problem may vary, but I’d disagree that any folks using drugs don’t have one.

  • Treading_Water

    If the fact that these people are getting government money is the reason for the drug test, then first test the legislature and public services. If people on public assistance shouldn’t be spending public money on drugs, neither should public sector employees.

  • PhilSimms

    I see no reason why this law will not be ruled unconstitutional just the same as it was in Florida.

    A 2011 law mandated drug testing of all Florida applicants for the state’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, a federally funded program providing cash assistance to poor families. But the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta unanimously ruled Feb. 26 that the test was unconstitutional, amounting to an unreasonable search.

    The court ruled that the state failed to show that there was any reason to treat poor families as if they were more likely to use drugs than the general population.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    If heaven did exist, these Republican assholes wouldn’t get in.