Quote of the Day

“We went out and we played touch football and Scooter Libby was one of the players and a bunch of my right-wing friends were there. We all ended up going to the Irish Times pub afterwards. And we were having a little bit too much to drink I guess. But anyway we started arguing about who won the Cold War, etc, and so we decided to settle it like men do when they’ve had too much to drink in the pub.

So we got down to these arm-wrestling matches and I ended up being paired off with Putin! And he’s a little guy but boy I tell ya — he put me down in a millisecond. He is tough! He just – muscles were just unbelievable.” -Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) on Putin in the 1990s

Picard and Riker Facepalm

There’s a lot to process here.

Scooter Libby playing touch football with Putin. Rohrabacher admiring Putin’s “unbelievable muscles.” Settling who won the Cold War by getting drunk and arm wrestling. I mean, sure, how else would you settle it?

Was Putin shirtless during all of this? He usually is.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    The correct answer is no one won the Cold War and we all won when it was over.

  • Richard_thunderbay

    Remember when “Who would you rather have a beer with?” was offered up as a selection criteria for a President?

  • Vic78

    I would tell a joke about a republican admiring a man’s muscles but that wouldn’t be right. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rohrabacher preferred big cigars.

    • nathkatun7

      I know people are fond of making fun of Texas, Oklahoma and South Carolina, but here is Southern California (San Diego and Orange counties) we have our share of GOP idiots: Duncan Hunter Jr.(San Diego County); Darrell Issa (San Diego/Orange counties); and and Dana Rohrabacher (Orange county).

      • Vic78

        Cali gave us Reagan and Nixon so we shouldn’t underestimate the state. I remember Arnold saying he thought governing was easy before he got elected. Issa has me wondering what is wrong with San Diego?

  • Badgerite

    And did he look into Putin’s soul a find someone who would serve as an obstacle to a negotiated settlement to the civil war in Syria, brokered by the UN, and then support and enable the use of chemical weapons on the the Syrian population. What a man. And Assad is nothing if not his father’s son.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Bob, is that picture from the one where Riker was accused of killing the scientist by blowing up the space station, and they did the Rashomon thing on the holodeck?

    What is it with conservatives (and dictators) and “d*ck waving”?
    /rhetorical

  • trgahan

    Stupid question since I am likely full of crap…but since wild conspiracies are all the rage and I too want a penthouse in Rio….how would Putin know how to play American touch football unless he was KGB trained as (and likely used) a deep cover operative working around Americans? Not something your average mid-20th century St. Petersberg raised party member would know about.

    • muselet

      Vladimir Putin is the Russian Chuck Norris. Silly games are easy for him.

    Is that part of a letter to Man Love magazine?

  • muselet

    Dana Rohrabacher talking about Vladimir Putin sounds a lot like Rich “Starbursts” Lowry writing about Sarah Palin.

    Now where did I put that brain bleach …?

    –alopecia

  • Nefercat

    {blinks}

    Uh… eww?

  • D_C_Wilson

    I don’t think I’ll ever get used to idea of all the man-crushes the right has for Putin.

  • mrbrink

    You must stroke the Putin. Compliment his masculine jaw line and beg for his beef stroganoff recipe. Everything else is just who gets what.

    • muselet

      Stroke the Putin. Worst kids’ book ever.

        Not if you’re a Republican. Zing!

      • mrbrink

        As visions of bestiality, rape, pedophilia, rape, and rape danced in their heads…

        • muselet

          I was thinking of a really disturbing sequel to Pat the Bunny. (And I thought I was being creepy!)

            It probably wasn’t creepy then, but it’s probably a little creepy now. Haha! You said “worst kids’ book ever” and I immediately thought of the cherished works from Scooter Libby, Rush Limbaugh, and everything ever written by Lynne Cheney.

            I can’t help it if I’ve been corrupted by this stuff.

          • muselet

            Oh, good, I still have some brain bleach left. Now if I could just find that wire brush …

            –alopecia

  • Richard_thunderbay

    There have been some “Putin rules!!!!” diaries on the dailykos. It seems that at least a few emoprogs have also developed a mancrush on Snowden’s benefactor.