Rand Paul Demands We Turn Those Machines Back On!

In an interview on Face The Nation today, Senator Rand Paul told Bob Schieffer that he is a crazy person intent on destroying the nation’s economy if Republican demands are not met in less than 48 hours.

But in a twist totally devoid of reason, according to Republicans, it is still the president who is trying to plunge our finances into chaos to save his precious little Obamacare. Yeah!

“But see, he is saying 100 percent of Obamacare or the highway,” Paul said on CBS’ “Face The Nation.” “The president is the one saying I will shut down government if you don’t give me everything I want on Obamacare. That to me is the president being intransigent and being unwilling to compromise.”

When asked about how both sides who are totally equal and not at all dissimilar could bridge the grievances of people who think promoting and providing health insurance is tyranny, Senator Paul suggested a “conference committee” with equal Republicans there to redefine the idea of democratically-enacted law and consent of the majority.

“I think there is a way,” Paul said. “And I have been saying all along that we should negotiate. See, historically Bob. the way it worked is if the House is Republican and passed something and the Senate was Democrat and passed something you had a conference committee, equal number of Republicans and Democrats, and you hashed out your differences. Why don’t we have a conference committee on this? You could appoint one today, they could meet tomorrow and hash out the differences. That is the way it is supposed to work. Republicans and Democrats are supposed to find a middle ground but right now, it is the president saying my way or the highway, if I don’t get everything I want, if I don’t get Obamacare — which Democrats passed without any Republican support — the Democrats are saying they are willing to shut down the government.”

So…

I want trading reopened right now. Get those brokers back in here! Turn those machines back on!

“I want trading reopened right now. Get those brokers back in here! Turn those machines back on!

You’ve got your reality-based concerns, Senator Rand Paul has a father named Ron and a dripping sack of severed clown heads. How dare you walk away from his bag of constituents?!

This entry was posted in Civics, Ethics, Government Shutdown, Rand Paul and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “…the way it worked is if the House is Republican and passed something and the Senate was Democrat and passed something you had a conference committee, equal number of Republicans and Democrats, and you hashed out your differences…”

    Yes, they did exactly that, several years ago, AND THEN THE FUCKING LAW WAS PASSED. IN THE HOUSE, AND IN THE SENATE, AND SIGNED BY THE PRESIDENT.

    Fuck them all to everlasting hell, for and ever and ever and ever.

    • Zen Diesel

      Fuck them all with the heat of a thousand hot white suns.

  • PrettyFootWoman

    Paul…forgets…ACA is law…if you want to change/repeal the law there is a democratic process…but if you lose…you can not shut down the government to get your way that you were not able to get using the democratic process….The GOP/TP wants to change the constitution without going thru the process…they are trying to change things by bullying their way.

  • Badgerite

    Dear Rand,

    Here is why you do not get to insist on changes to a law that has already been enacted and survived a court challenge. Because you are holding the entire operation of the federal government as hostage to derail a bill that has legitimately passed every test, legislative, judicial and electoral, that your lame ass, obstructionist party has thrown at it. You are therefore proposing that is it acceptable to use a budget bill and threatening to shutdown the government with the attendant economic disruption to derail a bill that is about one day away from starting implementation. And you say you must do this to prevent economic disruption. Uh huh. Have you ever heard of the principle of reliance. My own state has planned its budget based on projections regarding the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Families who would otherwise have been eligible for state sponsored affordable health insurance will not be because of projections based on a law you now propose, at this late date, to derail.
    The time for legislative bargaining would have been back when the bill was passed. Not now and not at the expense of the country and possibly the world economy. That is simply not within the rules. That is blackmail. That is hostage taking. Since the law was passed, its opponents have had their chance in court and in the electoral process and have failed at each juncture. The damage you cause is the fault of your party and your party alone.

  • muselet

    Sam Stein’s final paragraph is a masterpiece of understatement:

    Calls for a conference committee to resolve the debate over a continuing resolution are more than a bit odd, as Senate Republicans held up attempts to have the two parties meet in such a conference committee during budget negotiations this spring and summer.

    Also too, as I said the other day, Republicans do have a strange definition of “negotiate,” don’t they?

    –alopecia

  • motherunit

    All of the compromising has happened already. Otherwise, we’d be looking forward to single-payer health insurance. President Obama compromised and negotiated the ACA practically to death to pass what we’ve got now. Still, way better than we had before. The time for compromising is over. Time to build on what we have and improve it.

  • feloniousgrammar

    From what I’ve gathered about his base, he should campaign shirtless and wearing pink hot pants with a cod piece,

    • muselet

      Now there’s a horrific mental image.

      –alopecia

  • WonderwomanTracy

    Don’t forget it, it was Rand Paul who infamously said “Just because a
    couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be
    constitutional does not make it so.”

    • Badgerite

      Well, it does according to the law of the land as established well over two hundred years ago dating to the early days of our republic. You know it. You love it. Marbury vs Madison. Which no less a luminary than Thomas Jefferson, who was president at the time, did not contest. It seems that for ‘Tea Party’ people, the Constitution is whatever THEY say it is.

      • Christopher Foxx

        It seems that for ‘Tea Party’ people, the Constitution is whatever THEY say it is.

        “seems” ??

        • Badgerite

          My mistake. For Tea Party people, the Constitution is whatever THEY say it is. History and precedent be damned. Pile those tea bags on the hat and full speed ahead.

          • Christopher Foxx

            From their paper thin talking points to the core of their beliefs, they are solely motivated by selfishness.

            It’s what causes them to see anything that they want as a fundamental right, while simultaneously treating anyone else the same way as a reprehensible government overreach.

            They should not be treated gently or as anything other than the anti-American fools that they are.