Texas AG Candidate Chases The Doomsday-Prepper Vote

Texas Railroad Commissioner Barry Smitherman, a man who wants to be the next Attorney General of Texas, is already talking about preparing for secession if the United States collapses.

In an interview with WND, a right-wing birther hub, Smitherman argued that Texas not only has the capability to survive without the rest of the country, but is actively taking steps to prepare for that day. “Generally speaking, we have made great progress in becoming an independent nation,” he declared. “I think we want to continue down that path so that if the rest of the country falls apart, Texas can operate as a stand-alone entity.”

I suppose Smitherman will have the doomsday-prepper vote all locked up.

The United States isn’t going to “fall apart,” but that may sound sexy to god-fearing conservatives in Texas. Or at least those who read Rick Santorum at World Net Daily. Nothing gets them hot like a good End Times fairy tale.

Unfortunately for them, the world isn’t going to end. In fact, we may even elect another Democrat in 2016, and it may even be –gasp– a woman! Access to healthcare will expand, deficits will vanish, women will start earning more pay, birth control will continue to be available to those who want it, renewable energy will become cheaper than fossil fuels, and gay people will be able to marry in more and more states.

They prefer doomsday. Too bad.

This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Why would Texas survive as a separate nation? It’s not as homogeneous as these wingnuts think it is. Seems they’ve forgotten about the effects of their gerrymandering.

      Because the moment of secession, Texass would become a Libertarian Dominionist haven, and anyone who isn’t white, Evangelical Protestant and either male or under control of a male (as all good wives should be), will be rounded up and put to work on the cotton plantations and weapons manufactories.

        You mean those fat crackers in the hoverounds? They get their asses beat.

    • stacib23

      Maybe they will secede and end up in a whopper of a “war” with the Mexican cartels.

  • nomoremister

    “In fact, we may even elect another Democrat in 2016, and it may even be –gasp– a woman! Access to healthcare will expand, deficits will vanish, women will start earning more pay, birth control will continue to be available to those who want it, renewable energy will become cheaper than fossil fuels, and gay people will be able to marry in more and more states.”

    No, none of that will happen if Hillary is elected president, because Republicans will still have at least a 41-vote superminority in the Senate.

  • Ipecac

    What would be HILARIOUS is if Texas seceded and was immediately invaded by Mexico, who also Remember the Alamo.

      If they seceded, they would also become a foreign country hostile to the U.S. What nation would ally themselves with Texas? Since Bush, it’s probably the most hated state in the nation.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Given the right’s new found love of Russia, I’d say they first overtures for an alliance will be going to Putin.

    • stacib23

      I should have read the comments first. LOL We are thinking along the same lines.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Of course Mexico remembers the Alamo. They won.

    • nathkatun7

      If that were to happen I would be rooting for Mexico to regain their lost territory.

  • Nefercat

    “Access to healthcare will expand, deficits will vanish, women will start earning more pay, birth control will continue to be available to those who want it, renewable energy will become cheaper than fossil fuels, and gay people will be able to marry in more and more states.
    They prefer doomsday.”

    I believe that scenario *is* doomsday in their addled, angry little heads.

  • trgahan

    Yeah, I am sure the Texas economy will be just fine when everything they produce and sell to the rest of the United States gets an import/export tariff put on it and requires customs inspections therefore leading 50% of their the companies to leave for states still within the Union to avoid all that added cost to access one of the largest consumer economies in the world.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Unfortunately for them, the world isn’t going to end. In fact, we may even elect another Democrat in 2016, and it may even be –gasp– a woman! Access to healthcare will expand, deficits will vanish, women will start earning more pay, birth control will continue to be available to those who want it, renewable energy will become cheaper than fossil fuels, and gay people will be able to marry in more and more states.

    They prefer doomsday. Too bad.

    Bob, what you’ve just described, in their view, is doomsday.

    UPDATE: Working thru the comments, I see Nefercat beat me by a few hours. Hat tip.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Fuck Texas.

    I am so sick of the arrogance and superiority that radiates out of that state. Pick a category: adult literacy, high school graduation, teen pregnancy, people with health insurance, and Texas is at or near the bottom of the pile among states. Only the luck of having a high concentration has kept it from becoming a complete drain on the nation.

    Let them secede. I’ll give them a decade before it’s a third world cesspool.

    • Mark Cleary

      D.C., what you describe IS a third-world cesspool.

  • Mark Cleary

    They don’t “prefer” doomsday. To them, what you describe IS doomsday.