The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 9/25/13

bcs_angry_black_lady

Angry Black Lady: Blogger Imani Gandy aka Angry Black Lady Joins Us for the Hour; ABL versus Greenwald; The Ted Cruz Filibuster; The Realities of Obamacare; Finally Affordable Healthcare; Chez and ABL Tumor Stories; The Creepy Rapey Koch Brothers Ad; Alex Jones and Jerome Corsi on Kenya; Wayne LaPierre is a Talking Bumper Sticker; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius, the BobCesca.com Amazon Link and the Bowen Law Group.

There’s more political talk — and more Angry Black Lady! — in this week’s After Party — Thursday at Noon eastern time. If you’re not a member, subscribe already. Only $6/month, cancel any time.

Download the mp3 (57 minutes, 24mb)
RSS Feed
Bob & Chez Show Archive

Bubble Genius

This entry was posted in Bob and Chez Show. Bookmark the permalink.
  • Jeremy Grunloh

    Always had a big crush on Imani. Can’t wait for this. :)

    • Jeremy Grunloh

      Who the fuck voted that comment down? The hell?

      • RilesSD

        Sirota?

      • beulahmo

        Some humorless dudebro.

      • muselet

        The same person (I use the word loosely) who’s downvoted every positive comment about her on the thread. It’s cowardly to do something like that without offering some kind of explanation (it’s not the same as refusing to refute a troll, after all).

        C’mon out and explain yourself. We won’t do much more than make fun of you. Probably.

        –alopecia

        • drspittle

          Over at BJ, which I no longer read, the ABL hate trolls came out of the woodwork whenever she posted. Maybe one of them migrated over here.

          • stacib23

            One of the main reasons I left.

          • drspittle

            Me, too.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        A douche that can’t stand smart black women.

  • muselet

    I can see the one-sheet now: Chez Pazienza is Zelig!

    Being the adult doesn’t work with people like Glenn Greenwald. There are topics he cares about and will fight anyone who disagrees with him like a cornered badger, which is fine—to one degree or another, we all do that. However, with Greenwald, there are far more topics on which he has no particular opinion and which he therefore dismisses as trivial or mere distractions.

    “I just want to kick [Ted Cruz] in the shins.” I want to kick him, too, ABL, just not in the shins.

    It should surprise exactly no one that Ted Cruz is confused by a Dr Seuss book. Every time I see an account of someone who knew Cruz back in the day saying how smart he was, I want to take that person aside and explain that Ted Cruz isn’t really very smart at all. He has the particular kind of brain that makes college and law school easy(ish). Not the same thing, not at all.

    I don’t honestly think Cruz’s little 21-hour stunt will hurt him with the GOP, provided the fundraising numbers don’t tank. As long as the people who think stapling tea bags to their headgear constitutes piercing political analysis keep chucking dollars at the party—and they will—Cruz is golden.

    For Peter King to accuse Ted Cruz of “governmental terrorism” is hilarious. No one knows terrorism like Peter King, after all (Google NORAID—King was a big fundraiser for the cause).

    The Koch brothers are clearly happy with that horrific Uncle Sam the Molester ad or there would have been reports of a small production house mysteriously going out of business and there being missing-person reports out on all of the employees. Can you imagine the interview when someone involved with that ad wants a position at another company? (“Hmm. There seems to be a gap in your work history for 2013. Care to explain?” “Umm, well …”) I’m shocked, too, that the enormous fake head wasn’t an Obama mask.

    Bob, I’ve read the Alex Jones/Jerome Corsi conspiracy theory about Nairobi, I’ve now heard you explain it, and it makes no sense. None. Jones and Corsi manage to use actual words from the English language but string them together seemingly at random. They’re completely hatstand and should be mocked mercilessly until they go on their meds.

    Gun control and climate change are two topics that will never go anywhere in the current Congress. There’s no point in getting excited about them because the crazies won’t let anything meaningful happen. Like it or not, we’re reduced to hoping the UN will do something or the Vulcans will stop by and give us some new technology.

    –alopecia

    • beulahmo

      I’ve been thinking about Cruz’s career plans, and I don’t see him getting re-elected to the Senate (not in Texas, anyway). It seems pretty clear that he plans to run for President in 2016. This’ll endear him to the Frankenstein monster serving as the GOP base, but he’ll be forced to make increasingly hostile and insane statements that’ll alienate and, possibly MORE disastrous for the GOP, animate Latino, Black, and elderly voters in Texas. The state is already trending “purple,” and although Cruz will be running for re-election during the 2018 mid-terms, it’s a state-wide election, and he’ll have cultivated quite a bit of active loathing among non-TeaParty voters, even in Texas.
      Frankly, I’m wondering if we’re looking at another Newt-like creature who’ll demagogue in order to raise a lot of easy dough. He’ll earn a permanent place in the “elite” Fox media-book publishing entertainment complex as the “smart” Conservative Latino.

      • muselet

        I’m not so sure. Ted Cruz won 56-41 with 40% of the Hispanic vote (or so Wikipedia tells me) the first time round. Given the advantages of incumbency and an assist from voter suppression, he could be reelected comfortably. It wouldn’t be a landslide, but unless he really screws up in the next four years or so, it’s hard to see him losing.

        Yes, he will definitely run for president in 2016. It will be interesting to see how he does in primary season. He’s glib enough—and good enough at blowing the requisite dog whistles—that he’s so far avoided saying too many of the wrong things and so has stayed below the media’s radar, but he’ll be forced to throw red meat to primary voters. That could be fun to watch.

        I’m not sure about the Ted Cruz/Newt Gingrich comparison. They both have egos as big as all outdoors, true, but Gingrich has always been a self-aware flim-flam artist, while Cruz is a true believer. Gingrich thinks he’s smart; Cruz knows he’s smart (no, not merely smart, brilliant!), so merely cranking out book-like artifacts and hanging out in green rooms won’t be enough for him. He might start The Ted Cruz Institute for Something-or-Other to try to push policy, though.

        Time will tell.

        –alopecia

        • beulahmo

          Cruz coasted a bit on his surname in 2012, believe it or not. He wasn’t as high-profile in Texas as he is now, and that helped him, I believe. But I think his run for President in 2016 will destroy that advantage; in fact, I predict it will generate new and intense animosity. Most folks presume he has Texas in his back pocket, but he really doesn’t. He’s going to animate a lot of otherwise apathetic voters–I feel it in my bones (I’ve lived in Texas for 25 years). In fact, I have a feeling he will be largely responsible for making Texas competitive in Presidential elections starting in 2020. ;-)

          • muselet

            I hope you’re right.

            –alopecia

  • CL Nicholson

    Awesome show!!

  • RilesSD

    Only 12 minutes in and I’m already in love with Imani

      She’ll definitely be back — maybe as a regular.

      • RilesSD

        Fantastic.

        • RilesSD

          There is a fucking downvote-troll here today.

      • muselet

        Cool.

        –alopecia

    • beulahmo

      She’s great–super-smart and so, so witty.

  • Lady Willpower

    Of all the things I find irritating about Sirota, Greenwald and their minions, it’s the way they talk to women of color. Imani nailed it. They talk down to us ALL the time, and it’s not even remotely subtle. “Run along little ladies, the men folk are doing important thinking right now.”
    I’m sure they would say they’re not being disproportionately rude/condescending to us, and that they’re just answering us the same way they’d answer any other “drooling Obamabot” but it sure doesn’t feel that way to me.

    • beulahmo

      Glad I’m not the only one who sees it. But I think Sirota especially enjoys provoking Black people in particular–women and men (though he’s extra-condescending to the women) because he knows Black folks are going to resist his little tricks to manipulate them into agreeing that President Obama is an evil person, driven by malicious intent. I don’t know–it just seems to me he’s just dying to say “you’re just giving him a break because he’s Black!” But you know what? Most of us are aware of that white trick — the one that if the Black guy isn’t perfect, then he “deserves” any charges of guilt (and punishment, if possible) that privileged white folks care to throw at him, no matter how severe or out of proportion. (Notice how many white folks sincerely believed that since Trayvon had tried marijuana and gotten in trouble at school, he wasn’t innocent, and so he “deserved” to be presumed a thug and tracked down and shot dead.) So since Obama is now President, yet the problems of Gitmo, GWOT and expanded surveillance haven’t somehow completely disappeared (How and how long should it take? That’s not Sirota’s or Greenwald’s problem), Obama is now fully guilty and morally responsible for ALL of it. It’s bullshit, and Black folks, in particular, aren’t going to be brow-beaten into agreeing with it. And that really, really pisses him off.

    ABL, Yippeee!!!! I’ve been reading her stuff elsewhere and it’s great to hear her on your show, Bob.

    Vagina Spelunking–my new favorite euphemism, loved it so much I made it part of the title of a blog post.

    In regards to hanging on to the last pill…I don’t have insurance at all and it’s been over a year and a half. I pay full price for a scrip that I HAVE to have. Sometimes when money gets tight, I will cut back my dosage, which is really, really bad….and then sometimes I get down to the last few pills, I will do the same thing as ABL….are my symptoms bad enough today that I should take this last pill or should I wait because it might, FSM forbid, get worse. No one should have to make that kind of choice.

    Chez “I’m a dick” dick soap — I like the sound of that

    Alec Jones is the king of “paranoiac dog whistles”

    The element of surprise always gives an advantage to the aggressor–oldest military concept in the world. And the more guns there are on scene the more “weapons of opportunity” there are for the shooter.

    You know what you DIDN’T talk about with ABL? The kerfluffle between John Cole from Balloon Juice and Bob…Or was that one of those verboten topics? I haven’t seen ABL over there in a while and the Team Uterati site hasn’t had a post for a while. What’s her status at those sites, if I may ask?

    And I wholeheartedly support more “double whammy” on the show!

    • stacib23

      She is great – I used to read her blog all the time. Another of my favorites, Extreme Liberal, cross posts there. She had her own kerfuffle with John Cole a few months ago. She left for a few days, maybe a week, and then he apologized and she came back. I don’t know what happened after that because I cut down on my visits to BJ after that.

        Well, the commenters over there were always kind of hostile to her and I never understood why….She’s smart, funny, assertive, cool…didn’t make sense. I still read BJ but my grain of salt is MUCH bigger due to recent crap that Cole has been posting. I frequently don’t agree with them, but I always learn something new.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I think I’m in love with ABL! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

  • HilaryB

    Almost choked on my water during the segment on the rapey Obamacare commercial. :) I really like ABL and hope you bring her back again sometime.

  • mrbrink

    ABL’s amazing, as always. I catch her out there on the radio from time to time making her waves. Always a generous laugh, pointed commentary– fierce and resilient. Anywhere Imani isn’t welcome is a sad and pitiful place that should reconsider the obsessive, stalkery error of their ways. Sleep it off, haters.

    And “Chez’s Bubbly Bodily Bath Fluids” would make any lathersome occasion hilariously filthy.

    Great show. The time flew over the cuckoo’s nest.

      Your name for Chez’ soap is so much more mellifluous than mine, as always! /not worthy

  • MrDHalen

    Wow!!! Just a great show guys!! ABL was great, would love to hear on again.

  • Lex

    a better metaphor i use is that people like cesca would defend Obama if he pulled a Woodrow willson and put anti war protestors into interment camps (woodrow willson did that to anti war protestors of world war 1)

      Actually, Wilson arrested Suffragette protesters. The women felt that if the US was defending Democracy abroad (WWI) that we should actually implement real Democracy at home by allowing women to vote. They weren’t anti-war protesters. You are either reading conservative alternate history websites or you are a conservative yourself. Good luck with that.

  • Stubbhead

    Please let the ladies at Bubble Genius know that I will absolutely purchase a Chez’s Tumor Soap on a Rope.