The Grief Counselor-In-Chief

Fort Hood, Texas; Tucson, Arizona; Auroa, Colorado; Newtown, Connecticut; Chicago, Illinois.

In an all-too familiar refrain, President Obama showed up today at the memorial for the victims of the Washington Navy Yard shooting to help pick up the pieces from another mass-shooting in America, delivering remarks and consoling the grieving families. Because the NRA won’t.

September 22, 2013 in Washington, DC.(Getty)

September 22, 2013 in Washington, DC.(Getty)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama grieving with the families of the victims of the Washington Navy Yard shooting. September 22, 2013.(Getty)

September 22, 2013 in Washington, DC.(Getty)

September 22, 2013 in Washington, DC.(Getty)

We can’t accept this. As Americans bound in grief and love, we must insist here today there’s nothing normal about innocent men and women being gunned down where they work. There’s nothing normal about our children being gunned down in our classrooms. There’s nothing normal about children dying in our streets from stray bullets.

This entry was posted in Guns, President Obama, Quote and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Badgerite

    I like them as people. They care about the country and they care about its people.

  • muselet

    I wish we didn’t have to know how good Barack Obama is at delivering remarks at memorials and consoling the grieving.

      Sadly, there might be more of this in the future.

      • muselet

        Guaranteed, I’m afraid.

        “might” ???

    Reading that quote gave me goosebumps. He always knows what to say. And if we all think we’re weary of hearing about these stories just imagine how weary he is from having to comfort so many families, having to fight the NRA with so little power to change things on his own, and having to deal with the too high expectations of the far left.

  • feloniousgrammar

    No other advanced nation endures this kind of violence. None. Here in America, the murder rate three times what it is in other developed nations. The murder rate with guns is 10 times what it is with other developed nations. And there’s nothing inevitable about it. It comes about because of decisions we make or fail to make, and it falls upon us to make it different.

    He means every word of it. He loves this country. Wisdom is the difference between love and romanticism. This country needs the kind of love that swabs the crusted stump not cheap patriotism