The Lunatic Base Loves a Good Show

It only took one 21 hour time-wasting speech filled with references to Dr. Seuss, Whitecastle, and Jason vs. Freddy for Ted Cruz to rocket past Rand Paul as the darling of the Lunatic Base of the Republican party.

Cruz has gained 8 points since our last national 2016 poll in July while everyone else has more or less stayed in place. He’s made himself the face of a government shutdown over Obamacare, and the Republican base supports that by a 64/20 margin. It’s not surprising that Republicans identifying as ‘very conservative’ support a shutdown 75/10, but even the moderate wing of the party supports it by a 46/36 margin.

I expect this means Rand Paul will try to one-up Cruz in the near future.

This entry was posted in Poll, Rand Paul and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Badgerite

    Only the ‘lunatic base’ could have considered that a good show.

  • Christopher Foxx

    It’s not surprising that Republicans identifying as ‘very conservative’ support a shutdown 75/10

    Nor is it surprising that, if asked, they’d be incapable of telling you why they want the gov’t shut down or what it would accomplish. They just know that they want it done.

    • MrDHalen

      I think most know why they want it shutdown, but are not aware of the actual damage it will cause to them. Any way to hurt the unworthy poor and minorities is their reason why.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Especially one particular minority who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, much to their dismay.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Oh, I’m sure they are utterly ignorant of the damage it will cause them. Which is also why I’m sure they don’t really know why they want it done.

        Some vague, talking-point-echo of “Because we need to defund Obamacare ” is all they would be able to come up with if asked why. They would not be able to give any rationale or reason beyond it being something they heard someone say should be done.

    • nathkatun7

      I think most of the “very Conservative” Republicans want a govt. shut down because they hate President Obama. They think that shutting down the government will convince the majority of Americans to support impeaching President Obama and removing him from office. At least that’s the talk I’ve heard from some of the extreme right wing Republicans. They honestly think that shutting down the government will turn the majority of Americans, including Democrats, against President Obama. That’s how delusional the supporters of Ted Cruz and government shutdown are!

  • formerlywhatithink

    Oh god, imagine a Republican primary with Cruz, Paul, Steve King and Louie Gohmert. The stupidity, hate and evil snipes would be epic. I would love to see that happen.

    • muselet

      I agree, a Cruz/Paul/King/Gohmert contest would be fun to watch. However, the problem with an all-crazies-all-the-time primary is that there is a small but non-zero chance that the winning crazy would be elected.

      As I keep saying, I miss sane Republicans.

      And you’re right, coverage of the shutdown has been dismal.

      –alopecia

    • nathkatun7

      You left out the thirsty, non-stop water drinking, Marco Rubio. He has consistently aligned himself with Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Mike Lee in the Senate. I hope Democrats in Florida are grooming a credible candidate to seriously challenge Rubio in 2016.

  • dbtheonly

    Too bad that Cruz isn’t a “natural born citizen” & thus doesn’t meet the constitutional qualifications to be elected President.

    • formerlywhatithink

      His mother was a US citizen, so he does qualify as a natural born citizen.

      • dbtheonly

        The Constitution doe not require “US citizen”. It requires “natural born”; which, unless you assert Alberta is part of the US, means he doesn’t qualify.

        • formerlywhatithink

          In 2008, we reviewed research and polled several legal experts. The consensus was that someone is a “natural born” citizen if they have citizenship at birth and don’t have to go through a naturalization process to become a citizen.
          If that’s the definition, then Cruz is a natural born citizen by being born to an American mother and having her citizenship at birth. (This same logic would apply to Obama, even if he were born in another country, which he wasn’t.)

          http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/aug/20/ted-cruz-born-canada-eligible-run-president/

          Just as with the birthers, you don’t get to decide who is and who isn’t a “natural born citizen”. And seeing as there is no clear ruling by the Supreme Court or an amendment, you go with precedent.

          • dbtheonly

            Your interpretation makes a nullity of the phrase of “natural born”. President Obama was born in Hawaii, a State at the time of his birth, & a territory for some 60 years before that. Alberta has never been part of the USA. & Sen. Cruz was a Canadian Citizen/subject until just recently.

            Geography, not me, decides “natural birth”. And since the Supreme Court has never ruled on the issue there is no precedent.

            We discussed the matter on this site about a month ago.

          • formerlywhatithink

            We discussed the matter on this site about a month ago.

            You’re right, and every author on this site ,who weighed in on this topic, agreed that Cruz is a natural born citizen due to his citizenship, granted automatically because of his mothers citizenship, hence a natural born citizen. He never had to apply or go through the naturalization process, therefore he is a natural born citizen.

            The weight of legal and historical authority (1) indicates that the term “natural born” citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship “by birth” or “at birth,” either by being born “in” the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents;or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship “at birth.” Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an “alien” required to go through the legal process of “naturalization” to become a U.S. citizen.

            http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42097.pdf

            Cruz never had to go through the “naturalization” process because he was already a US citizen, therefore fulfills the requirement of a natural born citizen.

            (1). Your precedent. I’m too lazy to look up every case law precedent, but if it’s good enough for the Congressional Research Service, it’s good enough for me.

          • nathkatun7

            John MCain was born in Panama to American parents. Consequently, he is considered a natural born citizen. Please don’t buy into the absurdity of the “birthers.” Even in the case of President Obama, had he to have been miraculously been born in Kenya, to a woman who was an American citizen from Kansas or Hawaii, he would still be considered a natural born citizen based on the status of his mother. It’s true that geography plays a role only in cases where neither of the parents are American citizens. Geography, however, plays no role when the parents are American citizens.

            As much as I detest Ted Cruz, I still think Cruz is a natural born citizen because his mother was an American citizen. As long as Ted Cruz did not have to go through naturalization to, for example, be issued a U.S. Passport, then he is a “natural born citizen.” The same is true of President Obama. All the idiots challenging the President’s citizenship, never pose to ask how President Obama, if he was not an American citizen, could have been issued a U.S. passport without having to go through theNaturalization process?

          • dbtheonly

            John McCain was not born in Panama. He was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which was at the time, as US territory. That is the key difference. In that previous discussion which, contrary to fwit asserts, did not end in agreement, we had a wide range of opinions. I held that “natural born” could include the US Territories & would include US military bases overseas. Others disagreed about the military bases.

            I’ve been hearing insane birther conspiracy theories for almost 6 years now. I’m not letting the Republicans change the terms not that their preferred candidate is ineligible.

          • nathkatun7

            “I’ve been hearing insane birther conspiracy theories for almost 6 years now. I’m not letting the Republicans change the terms not that their preferred candidate is ineligible.”

            Look, I share your desire for pay back for all the absurdities that Republicans have been spreading around, for over six years, to challenge the legitimacy of President Obama. It’s just that my saintly grandmother taught me that two wrongs do not equal truth.

            Basically, my point was very simple: If Ted Cruz, like President Obama, and John McCain did not have to go through the process of Naturalization in order to become citizens then they are all legally natural born citizens. There are only two categories of U.S. citizenship: 1. Those who are citizens by birth; and, 2. those who are citizens by Naturalization. Unless you have concrete evidence that Ted Cruz is a citizen as a result of
            Naturalization, I still stand by my assertion that by law he is a natural born citizen of the United States. Believe me, I would jump up with joy if you proved me wrong because I utterly detest Ted Cruz.

          • dbtheonly

            With respect to your sainted grandmother, I don’t view holding the Tea Party to their own definitions as wronging them. To paraphrase my own Mother, they have made their bed now they must lie in it.

            Their definitions, their rules. They just don’t get to change the terms now that own of their own is disqualified.

            In all but 43 cases in the history of the US your definition is absolutely correct. But the Constitution added an extra phrase as a qualification for President & Commander-in Chief. This might well have been done because persons born in a foreign land might well hold fond memories of growing up in that foreign country and it would make it difficult to lead troops in an invasion of that country, should need arise.

            (Quibblers footnotes:

            Grover Cleveland’s birth holds for both elections thus one less number than the number of Presidents.
            The US would never invade Canada. Wrong. Been there. Did that. At least 3 times)

  • fry1laurie

    38 moderate Republicans? Sounds about right.