The Moronathon Has Ended

Shortly before noon today, Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) concluded his nearly 22 hour lecture on the floor of the Senate. Cruz did not speak for the entire time, however, he had help from his partner in crime Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) who, as you may recall, is the man who drafted the bill to shut the government down over Obamacare and began seeking allies for his Coalition of the Willing.

Senators Rand Paul (R-KY) and Marco Rubio (R-FL) also made surprise appearances during the 22 hour fundraising drive, because no 2016 hopeful should be left behind.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was less than impressed by Cruz.

Ted Cruz could have spoken for another hour, but he chose to bow out early.

Why? It may be because he’s scheduled to appear on the Rush Limbaugh show.

This entry was posted in Congress, Rush Limbaugh, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    It was all about the free publicity, obviously. Maybe it did more damage than good though. I paid homage to his absurdity over at my blog with a little-Seuss like rhyme….

    I do not like him,
    Ted-I-am.
    I do not like
    Ted Cruz, the man….continued at http://drangedinaz.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/ted-i-am/

  • CL Nicholson

    This is all about playing to the party crazies for 2016. Basically, he’s trying to create a wing nut armada for the primaries with him leading the helm.

    • formerlywhatithink

      Yup. The nation was witness to a man politically masturbating in public to appease his base. When even C-Span notifies it’s several viewers that what Cruz was doing was not an actual filibuster, any supposed reason Cruz gave for his verbal self gratification went right out the window. He’s nothing but a glorified salesman that will use any unethical trick to sell his product: himself. And as usual, the media gave him all the coverage he craved.

  • condew

    So, basically, when Cruz said he would speak until he could no longer stand, he was lying because he already had an appointment to be on the radio with Rush, and if not that, he had already agreed to end at a particular time for a scheduled vote. That’s sad. Less than zero content.

    To think he could have used those 21 hours to lay out a detailed Republican counter-proposal and defend it point by point as better than Obamacare. He had the opportunity, but I guess he couldn’t.

    • LeShan Jones

      He could have, if the republican’ts were an idea party. They don’t have any ideas or credibility these days.

  • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

    And true to form the morning “news” shows reported it without context as a courageous Mr. Smith Goes To Washington moment. Literally. (Yes, I know what literally means!)

    • D_C_Wilson

      Ironically, Mr. Smith introduced a bill to create a campground for the fictional Boy Campers, not take health care away from poor kids.

      Instead of pointing out where the MSM acts as stenographers, maybe we should only point out where they actually commits acts of honest to goodness journalism….few and far between though they may be.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I’m sure Chuck Todd got himself a big blue stiffy watching and listening to Ted Cruz yargle-bargle on.

  • condew

    I am among those disappointed with Obama’s role in in the health care debate. I would have liked us to consider single payer. I would have liked a public option. But in the end maybe Obama’s sense of what was politically possible will prevail. If Cruz were not marginalized on the right because the ACA was more sweeping and upset more people; if the insurance companies were not looking at increased profits and were funding ads against the health care reforms, then maybe there would be some chance that Cruz would have come off as something other than the right wing nut job that he is, and maybe there would be some real danger of repeal.

    • Al Iriberri

      Obama knew that single-payer, while a far preferable solution, was dead on arrival. So he pitched the (former) AEI proposal of a mandate…a concept that originated in the Nixon administration. It was literally the Newt Gingrich Congress response to Hillary Clinton in the 90′s. It was the REPUBLICAN approach to healthcare – and despite essentially giving them YES for an answer, they oppose it. They adamantly oppose it because…reasons, that’s why. *facepalm*

    • 1933john

      If!

  • Zen Diesel

    Crazy is as Crazy does, the Clown show is finally over.

    • muselet

      The clown show is never over. It’s truly the show that never ends.

      –alopecia

      • Zen Diesel

        Your so correct, the Flying Monkey Caucus will just move on to the “finding the one tiny healthcare exchange abnormality and blow it out of proportion phase” as to why Obamacare should still be repealed, once Oct 1 is here.

  • D_C_Wilson

    So, after bloviating for 22 hours, he didn’t stick around for the cloture vote because no one keeps Master LImbaugh waiting!

  • jebediahspringfield

    “began seeking allies for his Coalition of the Willing.”

    JM, you misspelled Coalition of the Wanking.