Turncoats

Some elements of the Far Right aren’t necessarily opposed to intervention in Syria, but they don’t believe intervention will be successful.

Because we’ll miss the target? Because it may have unintended consequences? Because we may not be able to deter Assad from using chemical weapons again?

No. Because the Gays have infiltrated the military

American Family Association radio host Sandy Rios claimed today that if the United States attacks Syria over the Assad regime’s use of chemical weapons, American military efforts may fail as a result of the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and the opening of additional positions to female service members.

Declaring that Secretary of State John Kerry is someone who is “not to be trusted” and part of an “untrustworthy” administration, Rios said she doubted that the US Navy will be effective in a possible strike against the Syrian government due to “the homosexual takeover of so much of our military” and roles for women in the Navy.

It didn’t take very long for the classic ‘supporting the troops’ trope to be upended in favor of openly questioning the military’s competence because of women and homosexuals.

Flashback to 2003 and questioning the competence of the military would have been considered heresy.

And here’s what doesn’t occur to them — Don’t Ask Don’t Tell has been repealed, but that doesn’t mean gays weren’t already serving in the military when we invaded Iraq. They’ve been there all along, but now they no longer have to hide.

The Religious Right are patriotic turncoats.

This entry was posted in LGBT, Religion, Syria, Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell has been repealed, but that doesn’t mean gays weren’t already serving in the military when we invaded Iraq. They’ve been there all along, but now they no longer have to hide.”

    I’m pretty sure their reasoned response to this is fingers in the ears while warbling lalalalala, I can’t heeeear you.”

  • BlueTrooth

    The minute they heard the mission had a limited, yet difficult to measure goal they saw an opportunity to place their bets. From a propaganda point of view, it has merit. And let’s face it, the anti-gay “family values” crowd is driven solely by propaganda.

    They appear to have World War II movies stuck in their heads and just can’t picture John Wayne as a gay man or as a woman, though gay men, gay women, and straight women have been serving in a war time capacity for the better part of a dozen years in Bush’s wars.

    One of the oddest things to me about the public reaction to the Bush Administration and the invasion of Iraq was the way in which women soldiers were sent to work in areas of combat as if that had always been the case. It seems that it wasn’t at all controversial until women wanted it to be acknowledged that they were in combat and wanted to get paid for it and promoted on par with male combat soldiers.

  • CL Nicholson

    Here’s hoping that our Congress’ overall dysfunction and the GOP’s general and unyielding hatred of Obama actually stops a war. At least they will be good for something.

  • formerlywhatithink

    Instead of explosives, let’s fill the missiles and bombs with little rainbow flags.

    But seriously, what difference does it make if the person pushing the launch button is gay, straight, male or female? It’s still the same button and it isn’t going to have a conniption fit because the person pushing it is gay. If the button were self aware enough to tell the sexual identity or gender of the person pushing it, then we have a whole other set of problems and should probably be calling Linda Hamilton.

  • muselet

    Oh, dear. (From the link.)

    When I looked at those battleships going into the Mediterranean, supposedly getting ready for battle in Syria, I couldn’t help think about all the stories I’ve read about how women now are in the ranks of the Navy, getting pregnant at exponential numbers; when I think about the folding in and the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and the homosexual takeover of so much of our military I’m not sure how effective those naval ships will be.

    So the women are too busy getting pregnant (“at exponential numbers,” whatever that’s meant to mean) to launch cruise missiles? And the gays are too busy doing … what, exactly? Glitter-bombing the officers? Doing the women’s hair and makeup? Redesigning their uniforms?

    Crazy people make my brain hurt.

      So the navy’s been taken over my gay men, and all the women in the navy are getting pregnant.

      How does that work, exactly?

  • Mike_Norris

    I have some information for Sandy that I learned from twenty-one years serving in the submarine force. It doesn’t matter whether the guy who pushes the “fire” button is gay or not. And the people of the submarine force don’t give a shit and never have. Tell you what Sandy, give the navy your address, they will make sure that the guy who fires the missile is a gay fire controlman. I will bet any amount of money you want that he will blow your fucking house to smithereens with that missile. You see, the missile doesn’t know if he is gay or not. And the people on the crew with him DON’T FUCKING CARE! Fuck you people…

  • Victor_the_Crab

    If you American Family Association assholes are so concerned about the gays and the vaginas taking over the U.S. military, then just enlist for combat service right now. Otherwise, SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACES UP, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

    • Mike_Norris

      Well said sir…

  • Churchlady320

    Every man and woman in the military should turn on this bitch and call her out for the freaking fool she is.