Wayne LaPierre’s Fuzzy Math

Speaking out for the first time since the mass-shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, still riding the wave of founding glory since the last mass shooting, the gun lobby sent Wayne LaPierre out into the world, yet again, as a human tourniquet for their bloodsport, telling an often times smiling David Gregory on this week’s Meet The Press that he’s got it all figured out, and the problem with mass-shootings in America is a simple fix:

“The problem is there weren’t enough good guys with guns! When the good guys with guns got there, it stopped.”

More guns in the hands of “good guys!” More guns+more good guys= less mass shootings!

In malls, bars, churches, school zones, and even military bases! More guns, more guns!

They’re all good guys. Simple farmers and hunters with guns– trading and selling weapons among themselves like the worst apple pie recipe ever. Until they go on a mass-shooting spree and the NRA labels them “bad guys” with its super secret Everlasting Gobstopper Good Guy/Bad Guy judgement machine, everyone gets a gun! Check under your seat. There might be a gun there.

From 1982-2012:

final_illegal2

Of the 143 different guns that were used by the killers in mass-shootings during this time, 49 “Good Guys” purchased their weapons legally. Under the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013, 48 of the 143 guns used would have been outlawed. During this time period, 42 mass-shootings involved high-capacity clips. Twenty relied upon assault weapons.

Because you’re not free in America unless you can sell an assault weapon, or a semi-automatic handgun with a high capacity magazine to the next mass shooter/former “Good Guy.”

By the NRA’s logic, as dispensed through the wooden, life-like mouth of Wayne LaPierre, it’s never the product that’s faulty, it’s the customer. Hell of a business model.

This entry was posted in Gun Fetishists, Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    Why is Wayne LaPee on any TeeVee show? Did he beg to be interviewed?

    It wasn’t the processed chicken imported from China that killed him, it was the fact that he was stupid enough to eat it?

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Because Sunday morning TeeVee shows demand to have idiots and lunatics on their yargle-barglefests while blackballing reason and sanity.

      • missliberties

        You know who has the best show on Sunday Morning? Melissa Harris Perry. Her show today was amazing and insightful. Why would I change the channel to watch some fool who is trying to sell weapons to both sides of a civil war. Giving Wayne P airtime to me is like celebrating terrorism. Can’t abide by it.

      “It wasn’t the processed chicken imported from China that killed him…”

      Exactly! Regulations are for pussies (according to Wayne LaPee)

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Wayne LaPierre can get away with saying his crazyassed, jaw dropping, are-you-fucking-kidding-me shit because he knows he can count on his highly paid stooges in Washington to cock block any gun control legislation, as well as convince enough public lunatics that more guns equals more safety, despite evidence to the contrary.

  • Craig Moffitt

    I do not wish death or destruction upon anyone but I’m starting to wonder if a mass shooting in the headquarters of the NRA could be what needs to happen.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Wondered the same thing.

      Decided it won’t change the minds of anyone. The sociopaths running the NRA would just claim a slaughter at their headquarters mere proves there weren’t enough guns in the hand of “good” guys.

      OTOH, don’t right, it would reduce the number of sociopaths available to run the NRA so maybe, just maybe, the majority of NRA members who aren’t pathologically opposed to reasonable gun control might take over.

    • LeShan Jones

      I’m certain that until a lone gunman touches off a lot of indescriminate shooting at either an NRA convention or a GOP gathering, these fools will continue to obstruct.
      Aside from the GOP gathering where they actually ban guns, the shooting at an NRA convention would get all the would-be John Waynes to open fire at every gunshot (because they wont be certain where the shooting is coming from) and they will wind up killing a lot of their own and probably not the crazed gunman who started it.
      At the very least, it will put paid to the lie about more guns equaling more safety.

  • muselet

    The title says it all, really, but Kevin Drum made this point back in December:

    Keep this firmly in mind. LaPierre’s only goal yesterday was to hijack the media narrative. He wants us talking about Natural Born Killers. He wants us talking about Grand Theft Auto. He wants us talking about mental health services. Hell, he’s perfectly happy if we spend our time talking about how crazy his proposal is and how unhinged he is personally. Not only does it keep us from talking about gun regulation, but it’s good for the NRA’s fundraising efforts in the bargain.

    If you want to have any chance at all of passing gun legislation, that’s what you should be talking about. Guns. End of story.

    Please, can we simply stipulate that Wayne LaPierre is a despicable excuse for a human being and stop engaging with his inanities? If we stopped getting outraged by him, then he would become less newsworthy and the Sunday yak shows would stop booking him.

    Then maybe, just maybe, the country could have a meaningful debate on the issue of guns.

    –alopecia

  • feloniousgrammar

    Should we be fortunate enough to have the House and Senate be controlled by Democrats after the next election, I would like to see the Justice Department’s focused on violence to the extent that anyone who commits or has committed a violent act cannot legally own a gun. I think it would be more productive to focus on violence.

  • formerlywhatithink

    Wasn’t the Navy Yard shooter engaged almost immediately by armed guards who went on to having a running gun fight with him until he was killed? LaPepe is an idiot.

  • Norbrook

    I have yet to see any instance of a mass shooting where Wayne LaPierre doesn’t run out and say that the solution is “more guns.” Mind you, we shouldn’t do anything that might keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, or those who have various indicators against it, just that more “good guys” should have guns, which will prevent them.

    Reality isn’t his strong suit, but you have to remember that he’s getting paid by gun manufacturers to push their sales even higher.

      Required reading.

      That guy/gal had no idea what you were talking about….typical responses on his/her part, throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        (S)he basically confirmed everything I said in my first two or three comments. And the linked sources were so far off the mark it was obvious (s)he was just reciting what (s)he had memorized.

    • LeShan Jones

      A case study in the debating “technique” of the average gun nut.