What Could Go Wrong?

This is preposterous.

Resource officers at Gainesville, Georgia schools are already armed, but apparently sidearms aren’t good enough.

Gainesville City Schools Superintendent Merrianne Dyer says the rifles would be placed at Gainesville High School, Gainesville Middle School and Wood’s Mill Academy.

Dyer said the weapons would be locked inside safes in the offices of school resource officers. She said all school resource officers are armed, but recent training showed that handguns they carry would not be effective in long hallways or corridors.

I understand that the mechanics of shooting mean handguns are not effective at long distances, but is an arms race the answer? Because that’s what this is. It’s an arms race within a school building.

They’re already armed, but now they want rifles. They want to keep an arsenal inside the school.

And who is going to pay for that? Does this mean there will be less money for supplies or an additional teacher’s aid because thousands of dollars were spent on a gun safe and multiple rifles instead?

Why are we even discussing the possibility of storing an arsenal in a public school?

This entry was posted in Georgia, Guns and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    What they’re teaching by example may not be something they want teens and children to learn. A few minor sociopaths could go to war with the faculty and the kids they don’t like. What a mess that could be.

    With a big liberal turnout in 2014 we could put a stop to this so that public schools don’t become a training ground for paranoid youth who find safety in weapons.

    • dbtheonly

      FG,
      Agreed.
      Guys, How come we never hear of “stun grenades” for the schools as an incapacitating weapon might actually do some good in a shooter scenario.

      • Tony Lavely

        Likely because NRA Industries doesn’t manufacture or profit from stun gernades. And they might work.

    • Robert Scalzi

      Unfortunately I do not share your optimism for 2014 at the local level and certainly don’t have any optimism when it comes to local elections in backwaters of red states. however at the national level I do have hope that at least we may be able to get the house back and get back to a HoR that actually works at moving the country forward instead of one that uselessly votes to repeal the ACA, over and over and over and over ….fingers crossed…. and as far as the local elections in red state backwaters – lets hope I am wrong.

        That would be progress.

  • trgahan

    So, and forgive me for being grim, what is stopping a potential school shooter from now walking in, taking a position near the gun safe, and shooting the Resource Officers as they arm themselves before proceeding with rest of the school?

    Especially now that a potential attacker would know the Resource Officers are armed, isn’t that just telegraphing who dies first?

    Also, I’m sure the contracts to arm these schools are being done in open bid format with total control of profit margins and billing rates too….I’m sure all the fiscal conservatives on these school board wouldn’t allow profiteering on this…

    • Tony Lavely

      Thanks! Another thing no one’s thought about. Or dismissed as not possible.

      • trgahan

        Given the sophistication of shooters in recent public mass murders, I figured it was actually a pretty obvious scenario.

        Better to point that out than the flaws in the logic that a Resource Officer with 3 hours of gun safety training is going to be able to shoot and kill an actively firing gunman, likely in body armor, at 50+ yards with children running all around.

        I really don’t want to believe this is just a money making scam to commit as many school districts into paying to arm and maintain a response arsenal they will likely never need.

    • formerlywhatithink

      And if teachers get the rifles out of the safe and start shooting back, when the police arrive, how do they differentiate who is who when everybody is blazing away?

        Skin color, most likely.

  • Tony Lavely

    Is there a rule somewhere that says the shooter’s gonna wait while they open the locked container or rioom and deploy those long guns? And of course, I’ve never seen a school with long corridors that didn’t also have a myriad of doors off the hall, or cubbies, or, or, or.

    What’s next? RPGs? Bazookas? Oh, I know: flame throwers! ‘Cause we have to destroy it to save it.

    • formerlywhatithink

      Hey, no fair, you can’t start shooting until we get our guns out of the safe. Who knows the fricking combination?

    • Norbrook

      Hmm… pre-positioned claymores built into the walls ought to do it. Just push a switch, and anything in that section of the hallway becomes hamburger. Of course, it’s likely to take out anyone else in the hallway, but some collateral damage is the price you pay for a safe school.

      /snark

  • muselet

    Why are we even discussing the possibility of storing an arsenal in a public school?

    Because we, as a country, are very very stupid.

    –alopecia

  • Ipecac

    At Columbine, the responding police wouldn’t go into the school for fear of misidentifying the shooters and killing innocent kids. Obviously a stupid choice and one that police don’t make any more.

    This idea goes in the complete opposite direction. Arm up the not-police with all kinds of deadly firepower and encourage them to shoot down long hallways. Because if a few innocent kids get shot, well that’s the way it goes.

    • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

      Gotta love that mentality. “Don’t worry, they can only shoot the guilty kids. Not only are our pseudo-cops somehow better judges of situations under extreme conditions than most members of the military, the bullets have magic gumdrop juice on them that allows them to know a nice innocent kid from an actual threat. Why they don’t have these super-guards with their Ammo Of Unerring Justice available for actual police to use, we don’t know.”

      And the escalation won’t end here, because somebody is gonna pick up the “the threat can just block the safe” idea and insist on open carry firearms. Because the people who think that this kind of stuff is a good idea are not known for restraint.

      I wonder how much an actual student counseling program and reinstatement of stress-releasing extracurriculars would be in comparison to this…

    • Mike_Norris

      Collateral damage…
      /snark

    We’re almost there, people………..third world status is no longer just a dream!