What Our Ancestors Sounded Like 6,000 Years Ago

Long before there was English, French, German, Spanish — or even ancient Greek and Latin — there was Proto Indo-European. Here’s what linguists believe it sounded like:

This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.
  • Art__VanDalay

    You mean they didn’t start speaking American as soon as they were created?

  • 1933john

    Bullshit, that’s Ted Cruz in the Senate!

  • Draxiar

    Damn I love stuff like this.

      Me, too! Funny, I hear some German consonants and some Gaelic vowel combinations in there, but that is to be expected. I really enjoy languages. The one that mystifies me and linguists, of course, is Basque. They say they are pretty sure it isn’t derived from this Proto Indo-European language but they don’t know where else it could be from. I wonder if this new understanding will change anything regarding that mystery.

  • muselet

    PRI’s “The World In Words” podcast (iTunes Store or—fair warning, RSS feed only—feed://pri.org/collections/world-words/feed/) and “The History of English” podcast (iTunes Store or http://historyofenglishpodcast.com) are fun time sinks for word nerds.

    –alopecia