Bedfellows

If you find yourself on the same side as the Klu Klux Klan, that’s as good of a sign as any that you should reconsider your position.

Local residents in Jacksonville, Florida are urging the Duval County School Board to rename Nathan B. Forrest High School, and the school board, which voted against changing the name in 2008, is receiving moral support from the KKK.

All seven members of the board received a letter from the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan urging them not to consider a name-change. It calls the school’s namesake a “valiant man of honor,” and justifies the KKK as “a group of vigilance to protect defenseless southerners from criminal activities perpetrated against them by Yankee carpet baggers, scalawags, and many bestial blacks and other criminal elements out for revenge or just taking part in criminal mischief.”

It would be hard not to notice that the KKK’s description of itself is not entirely different from how a member of the Tea Party may describe themselves; vigilant watchers protecting defenseless southerners from the northerners in Washington and the bestial blacks.

The letter also includes links to revisionist history and even a reference to the biased “mainstream media” and the “uninformed masses” who clearly don’t understand what really happened during the “radical reconstruction” period.

kkkletter

The school’s superintendent spoke out against the letter they received from the KKK, but it remains to be seen if the school’s name will be changed.

This entry was posted in Education, Racism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    rat bastards

      They really are the scum of the earth.

      Just read a movie review of ‘12 Years a Slave’…..makes me sick. I would not object to a separate country for the damnably ignorant red staters!

      • feloniousgrammar

        I love this from Frederick Douglas

        Among the many advantages gained in my change from Covey’s to Freeland’s—startling as the statement may be—was the fact that the latter gentleman made no profession of religion. I assert most unhesitatingly, that the religion of the south—as I have observed it and proved it—is a mere covering for the most horrid crimes; the justifier of the most appalling barbarity; a sanctifier of the most hateful frauds; and a secure shelter, under which the darkest, foulest, grossest, and most infernal abominations fester and flourish. Were I again to be reduced to the condition of a slave, next to that calamity, I should regard the fact of being the slave of a religious slaveholder, the greatest that could befall me. For all slaveholders with whom I have ever met, religious slaveholders are the worst. I have found them, almost invariably, the vilest, meanest and basest of their class. Exceptions there may be, but this is true of religious slaveholders, as a class. It is not for me to explain the fact. Others may do that; I simply state it as a fact, and leave the theological, and psychological inquiry, which it raises, to be decided by others more competent than myself. Religious slaveholders, like religious persecutors, are ever extreme in their malice and violence.

          He was so right, and said it so beautifully.

          Signed, a Proud Atheist

  • Gern Blandston

    Wow, “group of vigilance” FTW!

    • muselet

      Well, “vigilantes” sounded kinda furrin to ‘em.

      –alopecia

      • Nefercat

        Or literate.

      Well, one has to be on the lookout for “bestial blacks” and whatnot.

      • D_C_Wilson

        And “scalawags” too.

    I’m a Southerner and the name of Nathan B. Forrest makes me shudder. I can’t stand the way they have named so many things after that despicable man. The KKK can go eff itself, sideways.

    • feloniousgrammar

      I’m from Texas and feel the same way about schools named Robert E. Lee.

  • feloniousgrammar

    Off topic, but there’s a report at Reuters about why Booz Allen Hamilton might have been Snowden’s choice after Dell.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/18/us-usa-security-snowden-software-idUSBRE99H10620131018

    I only hope our intelligence agencies are looking for Snowden’s backers, and I really do think that Assange and Greenwald are noting more than promoters.

  • js hooper

    “Bestial Blacks”….LMFAO WTF

    White racists sure do come up with absurd ways to express their hatred of us black folks.

    All I can do is laugh and SMH

  • joseph2004

    It would be hard not to notice that the KKK’s description of itself is not entirely different from how a member of the Tea Party may describe themselves; vigilant watchers protecting defenseless southerners from the northerners in Washington and the bestial blacks.

    Ashby, you’re so dense sometimes it’s hard to express.

      Why do you think he is “dense”, Joseph?

      On the contrary, I would have to say that you are the one deserving the descriptive term “dense”, certainly not Ashby.

  • Brucehenry

    My Mom was born in Jacksonville in 1922 and went to Forrest when it was a junior high school, going on to graduate from Robert E Lee High School in 1939.

    The Lost Cause mythology was ever strong in that benighted city. It’s amazing she was as liberal as she was. I remember her in tears watching the 6:00 news footage of Bull Connor’s atrocites in the 1960s.