Chris Christie Surrenders on Same-Sex Marriage

The New Jersey Supreme Court allowed same-sex marriage to proceed last night amid Govenor Chris Christie’s appeal because they found that the state could not win on merit.

Facing such a blunt assessment, Governor Chris Christie withdrew his appeal today. And while I agree with the governor’s decision, I fully expect him to pay for it in conservative circles.

10.21.2013 Hoffman Dismissal Letter

(h/t TPM)

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, LGBT and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    I fully expect him to pay for it in conservative circles.

    One can certainly hope.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Well, he just kissed the 2016 nomination bye-bye.

  • muselet

    And while I agree with the governor’s decision, I fully expect him to pay for it in conservative circles.

    That depends largely on whether Chris Christie can sell the Right on the out-of-control-judiciary line. If he can hurt some poor people or find another way to make life miserable for the gays, that’ll help.

    If he does find himself ostracized by the Right, Christie can always find a place on cable news.

    And I’ll manage an unenthusiatic one cheer for Christie for doing the right thing.

    Like Augustus Gloop being told he has to wait for supper.

    The disappointed look on his face after all options have pretty much been exhausted is one of mankind’s greatest victories that we’ll never know.