Don’t Tread On Them

Among the many offensive things that showed up at yesterdays protest like Sarah Palin and the Oath Keepers, the confederate flag also made an appearance outside the White House where the first black president and his family live.

Dixie1
Dixie2

And here’s Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) being shadowed by the flag of the Oath Keepers.

CruzOathkeepers

I hasten to remind you that the Oath Keepers are a right wing truther militia that believes they will be called upon to save the country from President Obama, the U.N, martial law, and one-world government. Glenn Greenwald recently promoted them for buying pro-Snowden ads.

I’d say there’s evidence to suggest that they want that and are actively campaigning for it.

This entry was posted in Racism, Wingnuts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Hal Swann

    Shocker! the tea party hold a rally and a klan Meet & Greet breaks out.

  • Teddy’s Person

    But that young man is just celebrating his southern heritage … of slavery and treason. Motherf*ckers one and all.

  • Badgerite

    Classy!

  • Nick L.

    The south has been on the canvas for 150 years. What are they waiting for?

  • PostSurgeOperative

    I tread on them.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I piss on them.

  • Zen Diesel

    Riddle me this Republicans, why would any woman, LGBT, person of color, person of common sense would ever want to join or be associated with this Guild of Calamitous Intent.

    I understand if someone owns a Confederate flag…particularly if they collect Civil War memorabilia…it makes sense to me because that’s one of my hobbies too. BUT to take the flag of a defeated, treasonous foe and wave it at a supposedly patriotic, peaceful rally in front of the White House where our first African American President now resides?! Really?! How could they possibly think that was okay? I resent the fact that asshats like them coopt that symbol of my Southern ancestors in order to continue the hatred and bile from that era. They’re vile…simply vile.

  • tnlib

    Not everyone in the South walks around carrying a Confederate flag. It is not fair to the thousands and thousands of decent, kind, people here who do not support hate and racism to cast us in the same light as these racist, reactionary, repugnant morons. And just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to positively identify this misguided fool as actually being from the South?

    • JMAshby

      The South was not mentioned in this post a single time.

      • tnlib

        It ha been mentioned in the comments, along with the Klan.

    • Lady Willpower

      He appears to be from Texas, which is an honorary Southern state.

      • tnlib

        Thanks. I’d say more than “honorary”. It’s one of the original Confederate states. ; )

        Hey, I’m on your side. I just want people to understand that not all of us folks born and bred in these parts are like these morons.

        • mrbrink

          You stole it from Mexico, Texas.

        • eljefejeff

          While you’re absolutely right that not all southerners are racist, if you live in the south or have spent a significant amount of time around white people there, you’ll hear the n word more than once. And that’s just Texas, North Carolina, and West Virginia where I have family(all very good progressives). I haven’t even been to the deep south. And they keep electing tea party republicans. Not too impressive

          • tnlib

            All of those states are pretty deep South. I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt – Tennessee. Born and raised here but lived in Houston, Colorado and Arizona most of my life before returning. Sadly, most people are pretty darn ignorant, racist and hyper-religious . (I ran into much of the same kind of thing in Arizona but most of it was directed toward Latinos.) I grew up in a home where you didn’t use the n word, period – but coming back here has been major culture shock. I don’t remember people being so hateful back in the “old days” but there had to have been plenty of it as this was the 50s and 60s. Was I just shielded? Don’t think so because I was already becoming politically active and very interested in the civil rights movement. There are plenty of progressives still here and new ones moving in but the fright wingers are louder, more strident, are supported by deep pockets, and have been brain washed beyond belief by a massive propaganda machine that has been in operation for decades. We may not have access to that kind of money but we’re smarter than they are and need to get better organized. There’s just one problem – these are the same people who believe more in the 2nd Amendment than they do the First.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Regardless of how you feel about it, the Southern Strategy and the resurgence of Neo-Confederates is real. Of course not everyone in the South walks around with a Confederate flag. Every American didn’t walk around with a hard-on for the Iraq War, either, but that did not change the fact that the U.S. invaded and occupied Iraq.

      Governors, state congresspersons, and U.S. Congress persons are engaging in Confederate tactics like attempting to “nullify” laws, which = Southern sedition— typical of Southern behavior in the run up to the Civil War. Leaders and lawmakers in the South are talking about “secession”. It doesn’t matter how you feel about it. If you’re in one of these states, then your reps are speaking for you. If you don’t like it, the reasonable thing to do would be to let your leaders and reps know that you are opposed to this; not to defend the honor of (how very Southern) people in your state.

      • tnlib

        “If you don’t like it, the reasonable thing to do would be to let your leaders and reps know that you are opposed to this; not to defend the honor of (how very Southern) people in your state.”

        I invite you to come down here and do the “reasonable” thing. You should see the responses to the comments I leave on Ted Cruz’s Facebook page. There is no such thing as “reasonable”.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Not everyone in the South walks around carrying a Confederate flag. It is not fair to the thousands and thousands of decent, kind, people here who do not support hate and racism to cast us in the same light as these racist, reactionary, repugnant morons

      I keep hearing this from folks in the South. And I’m sure there are many decent, fair-minded folks in the South who find these morons repugnant.

      But if that is really the case, if the majority of the South isn’t reactionary bigots, then why aren’t they shutting up the folks who are ruining their good name?

      • tnlib

        I didn’t say or imply that the “majority of the South isn’t reactionary bigots”. I said not ALL are. You’re doing the same thing bigots do, btw – casting everyone in the same light. Not much different from saying “all n’s have rhythm” or “they’re all lazy.”

        Until you live here and experience the day to day mores, you cannot possibly understand what it’s like to go against a “culture” that is still fighting the Civil War and has barely advanced much beyond the beginning of the 20th century. There are many who are fighting the trend and trying to move forward but it is an uphill battle. Eyes glaze over and facts mean nothing. You’d be making a huge mistake to think there aren’t those of us down here giving it our all – and sometimes at great personal risk.

        • Christopher Foxx

          I don’t think we really have a big difference in our views of how things are in the South.

  • Nefercat

    “Don’t Tread On Them”

    Why ever not?

  • den1953

    I am not sure which is worse pandering to veterans that gave Ted Cruz the right to con those veterans into thinking he wasn’t responsible for the shut down, or pretending he really was their for them even though he was poster boy for a photo op to use for his up coming campaign for President in 2016? Why is it the deferment politicians always pretend they are patriotic especially when he is from Canada?

  • zirgar

    Word on the right is that this guy is a lefty plant, there to make the right look bad. Well, if he’s a plant why did no one run him off by voicing outrage or disagreement with him over what he was doing? It’s almost as if no one thought about it all, like he belonged there or something. Hmmm…

  • Axomamma

    The guy was identified. He’s what you would expect.

    ADD: Duh! JMAshby has the link just below. I looked but didn’t see it. Glad someone else was already there.

  • trgahan

    Since we’re talking “heritage” the US Marines are the northern, Yankee organization that fought the Confederate South.

    Yeah, I know what they are probably mostly made up of now, but insinuating that a major branch of the Unites States army backs a former enemy is pretty ballsy. Just one of the many Tea Party (totally not racist) myths that our military is tacitly behind them and should THOSE people get out of hand or the fat middle-aged militias finally rise up, the military will quickly flip sides…Obama will be defeated.

  • mrbrink

    The Gadsden flags are Confederate flags 2.0.

    “Political correctness” robbed them of their Stars & Bars; the most obvious symbol of their treasonous, slave-trading racist culture and heritage, which they believe was honorable and worth fighting for to this day, white-washing the cause and turning it into one of big government treading on states’ rights. They wave the Gadsden because the Confederate flag would be indiscreet in this new PC world in which civil society as evolved. I think this gnaws at them as a collective, that society has deemed their stupid flag ignorant and racist. It’s a big reason why they’re always disparaging PC. When they wave the Gadsden, it’s like the Rebirth Of A Nation playing out.

    • Churchlady320

      They seriously need to read “Confederate Reckoning” about how the Confederacy totally screwed non slave owning white people, exploited the women left to run the hardscrabble farms and even the plantations, and abandoned troops whenever it suited them. They sacrificed poorer whites to a cause from which none of the white people who gave life and limb to support would EVER derive benefit had it succeeded. The abandoned soldiers left to die in the fields and woods got more help from fleeing slaves than they did from their Confederate leaders. Stephanie McCurry’s book, were it ever to become popular (it’s VERY easy reading), would destroy the romanticism about the Confederacy in a minute.

  • Churchlady320

    Oath Keepers are far worse than another militia (bad enough). They are LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS who have pledge not to enforce laws they don’t like. Think about that – they have sworn not to uphold gun laws, hate crimes laws, access to abortion clinics – anything they think “that one” approves or any damned librul may have dreamed up.
    They are violating their own sworn oaths. Someone needs to watch the watchdogs because they for sure aren’t watching out for us.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Oath Keepers …They are violating their own sworn oaths [to uphold the law]

      Breaking oaths is keeping them. Destroying laws is upholding them. The Constitution is supported by ignoring it.

      IOW, all standard wingnut (i.e., Republican) logic.

  • CygnusX1isaHole

    Glenn Greenwald recently promoted them

    ———-

    If this is the definition of “promote” you want to abide by then it would be fair to say that you “promote” Monsanto, BP, the entire Bush administration walking free, fracking, nuclear power, school privatization, drone bombing innocent Muslims, “tackling entitlements”, unauthorized war, night raids (and dozens of other egregious offenses) with your continued endorsement of Barack Obama and the Democratic party.