Empty Suit

Among the many ridiculous things House Republicans demanded over the past several days was kicking congressional staffers off their healthcare, and according to a new report Speaker John Boehner actually sought to preserve those benefits in private while he publicly supported cutting them.

Emails and documents obtained by Politico show Boehner and his aides worked with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD), among others, to find a way to maintain the long-standing employer contributions. Those documents also show that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) was aware of the behind-the-scenes talks.

In addition to those efforts, Boehner attempted to arrange a meeting with President Barack Obama to ask for help in securing the subsidies, the documents show.

I have no sympathy for John Boehner. He may be the most ineffectual Speaker we’ve ever had and he’s been completely overruled by the Flying Monkey Caucus. He’s an empty suit with very little authority.

With that said, the next yahoo in line may not be any better. The real solution to our problems is to vote Republicans out of power at every level of government.

This entry was posted in Government Shutdown, Healthcare and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • roxsteady1

    Spot on Ash. Boehner is a tool but, he’s one of many in that party. We need to get rid of as many of them as we can. Fortunately, many of the states his party represents are the ones who will suffer with this shutdown. They can say they sent them to Washington to shutdown the government all they like but, when they’re the ones who will feel the pain, maybe it will change their minds when they go into that voting booth in 2014.

  • missliberties

    Just as a heads up, if you feel like venting steam you can always call a tea party Congresscritter and air your frustrations. Someone has to burst these folks bubble.

  • Zen Diesel

    The Flying Monkey Caucus is now known as the The Flying Monkey Bourbon Caucus.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I’d prefer to call them The Monkey’s Flying Feces Caucus.

  • LTanya Spearman

    Ashby; you not alone in your feelings. According to the new quinnipiac poll 10/1:
    Ppl oppose the hillbillies shutdown — 72% -22%
    Ppl oppose raising the debt ceiling by way to stop ACA — 64% — 27%
    National poll finds Dems. up 9pts. in 2014 congressional race..
    http://www.quinnipiac,edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1958
    PPP:
    Among moderate repubs. there’s been an 18pts. shift toward voting Dems. for cogress next year since July.
    http://www.publicpolicypoll.com/main/2013/10/a
    3hrs. down 6 months to go — 1M visit Healthcare.gov — 5x more users than ever on Medicare.gov at once..
    NY wedsite overwhelmed in the first 2hrs. 2M slowdown, back up faster, smoother
    http://nyti.ms/18KsLoX
    Connecticut’s Obamacare’s xchg. rec’d 764 active applications within first 25 mins. & 110K hits after that. http://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/10
    Oooops McConnell Press Kentucky’s: New Obamacare marketplace has +24K visits & processed over 1K applications by 9:30am
    KICK-ASS Mr. President

    • drspittle

      Thank you for sharing that information. I will have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that, in spite of non existent reporting of any facts by the MainSlime Media, the public seems to be seeing through all of this crap. That is a positive development indeed.

    If you missed President Obama’s statement earlier today, you can watch it here: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/StatementonGo

  • drspittle

    I posted a tweet that suggested people afftected by the shut down should send their bills to Boehner.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The next yahoo is likely to be a true believer in the tea party madness.

    But go ahead, republicans, punish your staffers by making them pay more for health care. I’m sure there’s no possible way that could backfire on you.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I’d like to give that annoying orange something to cry about.

  • Badgerite

    Truth is, we the people should have been the ones crying when Boehner became Speaker of the House.

  • Badgerite

    I think there is a method to their madness. I think this will go on until they think they have done enough damage to a recovering economy that they can try to make the economy an issue again in the midterms of 2014 and try to say that it is all because they couldn’t prevent the Affordable Care Act from being implemented and “See, we told you so.? They will say its implementation is what caused the damage to the economy. They are that dishonest and the public fell for it in 2010. They are looking to pull off the same scam. They think if they can damage the economy, they also damage Obama’s brand and the Democratic brand. They are scum.