Gun Culture

vikingstadium

While other officials in Minnesota are scrambling to pay for a new stadium for the Vikings football team, Minnesota State Representative Pat Garofalo (R) is very upset because there won’t be any gun stores at the new stadium.

“This provision was never included in the Metrodome lease, was not included in the new Vikings stadium legislation and was not identified as an issue or a problem that needed to be addressed prior to this agreement,” said Garofalo, a Farmington Republican, in a letter to the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, which signed the lease and a development agreement with the Vikings last week.

He questioned why law-abiding businesses would be excluded from the new facility in downtown Minneapolis and wondered if the provision would prohibit hunting and outdoors events from taking place at the new stadium.

Why would you need a gun store at a football stadium? Can anyone tell me? I really have no idea.

I’m sure the new stadium will be very nice, but as you might imagine organizers are already falling short of the funds they need and construction hasn’t even begun yet.

This entry was posted in Gun Fetishists, Guns, Sports and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    I’m thinking kickbacks.

  • formerlywhatithink

    Have you seen the Vikings play lately? You’d think the last thing anyone wants is guns in the hands of disgruntled fans.

  • mrbrink

    When? When do the nice men in white coats escort these fucking Fudds off to a quiet room? I’m setting my watch. Please, please, don’t fail me again, The Great Pumpkin.

  • fojap

    As I suspected, shops selling “adult” and pawn shops are banned as well. This has nothing to do with “law-abiding business” and everything to do with the weird gun fetish. Come to think of it, maybe it is the same as an “adult” shop.

  • Ipecac

    Oh, please, this is nothing. Do you know how many gun stores are currently located in Nursery Schools and Childcare Centers in Minnesota? Zero. None. What a huge scandal!

    Americans should be outraged that the state of Minnesota is stifling the god-given Second Amendment rights of Minnesotans to purchase firearms at these venues. Until assault rifles can be purchased at Daisy’s After-School Care for Toddlers, America is worse than Nazi Germany. This tyranny must end!

    Freedom!!

    • gescove

      And why oh why can’t we buy our guns and ammunition at grocery and convenience stores? Which tyrant outlawed our fine tradition of guns and butter, bullets and milk?!

  • muselet

    Michele Kelm-Helgen, chair of the [Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority], said guns have been banned from the Metrodome since the state passed a conceal-and-carry law in 2005. “Nothing has changed policywise from the Metrodome events,” she said.

    Perhaps Pat Garofalo should consider hiring a competent staffer to deal with pesky trivia like understanding existing policies. Think of all the time his other staffers would save by not having to write outraged letters about nonsense for their boss to sign.

    What a dolt.

    –alopecia

  • gescove

    Why is it that public money needs to be spent on these stadium projects? I like football and baseball too, but come on. The Vikings are valued at over $1B. The team has annual revenue of nearly $235M. And yet they will get a new $975 million stadium that will be financed
    with $477 million from the team and NFL, $348 million from the state
    and $150 million from the city of Minneapolis. The city will also cover about half of the annual operating costs for the stadium, but the team will retain ALL revenues derived from NFL
    game-day operations of the stadium and parking facilities, and a
    third-party operator will keep ALL revenues from ancillary events. Does this pencil out as a good deal for the good people of Minnesota and Minneapolis? (BTW, stats are all from a Forbes article on NFL team valuations, http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations). Oh, wait, that’s why a gun store is needed… revenue stream!

  • fry1laurie

    Bring your rocket launchers to “Vikings Fun Day”, a second amendment celebration for all. Bring the wife, bring the kiddies, bring the ambulances,

  • D_C_Wilson

    Why would you need a gun store at a football stadium? Can anyone tell me? I really have no idea.

    Well, how else can they do the shotgun formation? Duh.

  • Craig Moffitt

    Let’s see, a gun store in a stadium. Testosterone, alcohol and guns. What’s the worst that could happen?

      Yeah, that was my thought too. I’ve been to NFL games and people get downright stupid drunk and adding guns into the mix? Just plain nuts. Which is why they think it’s A-Okay for people to carry in bars in Arizona. Of course, a business owner has the right to prohibit the weapons BUT few owners will because the howling feces throwing right show up and make their lives an utter hell and destroy their business. Smells like freedom, dunnit?!