Horrible People

08_TradingPlaces_BD

The Koch Brothers’ Americans for Prosperity group is launching a campaign against the expansion of Medicaid under the guise that doing so will cost state taxpayers billions of dollars. Amusingly, they also claim this will lead to spending cuts in education which they would otherwise support.

The effort, orchestrated by the group Americans for Prosperity, is targeting lawmakers in Virginia tasked with deciding whether the state should accept federal dollars to provide insurance to individuals and families below 133 percent of the federal poverty line ($31,321 in income for a family of four). Volunteers with the organization are distributing flyers through door-to-door canvassing, attending committee hearings, and according to one lawmakers who has become a target of the campaign, intimidating constituents.

As many as 400,000 Virginians could qualify for coverage if the state expands the Medicaid program, but AFP is warning Virginians that the system “will cost Virginia taxpayers billions,” require “future tax hikes and budget cuts to vital services like schools, police and fire departments,” undermine the “doctor-patient relationship,” increase wait times and even endanger lives.

As we’ve discussed here numerous times, the idea that expanding Medicaid will crash state budgets is a blatant lie.

The federal government will cover 100 percent of the cost of expanding Medicaid for the first several years and will cover 90 percent of the cost for the foreseeable future. And the money to pay for this has already been allocated. If states refuse to expand the program, that money will go somewhere else.

It’s not entirely clear what the Koch Brothers and Americans for Prosperity get out of this, but I assume their goal is to make people as unhappy as possible so they will vote for Republicans who will move toward privatizing everything.

This entry was posted in Healthcare, Koch Brothers and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    The Koch brothers’ ultimate goal is to pay no taxes, but yeah, this is them pushing the “government doesn’t work, so vote R” line as hard as they possibly can.

    Incidentally, Ashby, as horrible as Charles and David Koch are, there are even worse people about.

      >>>Incidentally, Ashby, as horrible as Charles and David Koch are, there are even worse people about.

      Oh, I’m not so sure about that, Alo. :)

      Regardless, the Koch’s have the organization, and the money to affect far more average Americans than do the vast majority of other sociopaths.

      • muselet

        The Kochs are undeniably horrible, but they’re effectively C. Montgomery Burns times two. Theirs are standard Republican/glibertarian goals—get rid of government and all laws and regulations that don’t protect the interests of the rich—and they are dangerous because they can fund their political crusades out of petty cash. If they didn’t exist, the Left would have to invent them because they are such transparent, mustache-twirling, Snidely Whiplash-level villains (you should excuse the mixed cartoon metaphors).

        But concentrating on wealthy cartoon characters like the Koch brothers means we tend to ignore people like Rick Scarborough and Peter LaBarbera. The Kochs simply want to hoover up every dollar they can; the bottom-feeding true believers get a warm feeling deep inside when they get the chance to make others’ lives miserable, whether those others are gay or poor or dusky.

        On a 1–10 scale of horribleness, pure greed registers a 4.5, maybe a 5. Gleeful sadism pins the needle at 10.

          I think you’re right. The Kochs opposition to the government doing anything is more philosophical that anything else. They just don’t believe that the government should be allowed to tell businesses what they can and cannot do. They want a corporate oligarchy where whoever has the most in the bank gets to make all the rules.

          >>>he Kochs simply want to hoover up every dollar they can; the
          bottom-feeding true believers get a warm feeling deep inside when they
          get the chance to make others’ lives miserable, whether those others are
          gay or poor or dusky.

          I almost always agree with you, Alo, and I absolutely always respect your opinions, but in this case, I have to strongly disagree.

          First, I really don’t believe that most of those bottom-feeding assholes will ever have the type of influence that the Koch boys have. Either monetary or political. They’re far too obvious, don’t generally have the $$$, and lack (most of them) the organization to bring their dreams to fruition.

          On the other hand, when you talk about bottom feeders, you have to include the Koch dynasty along with the rest of the sociopathic losers. After all, the Koch’s want to seriously devastate a huge part of this country (and they’ve had some success in doing so in many parts of the country, including Detroit) by taking rights away from the working classes of all colors, with a gleeful focus on non-white peoples. Rights such as a state provided education, the right to one’s hard-earned social security dollars, the right of labor to organize, and so forth and so on.

          Additionally, they gave us the Tea fucking Assholes, and both the Koch’s and their born again idiots, now want to deprive the poorest among us the of their duly legislated right to healthcare. HEALTHCARE, for the Sky Fairy’s sake!

          • muselet

            We’re really not as far apart as you think.

            The Kochs want to free business from government regulations and restrictions, as D_C_Wilson says, for philosophical reasons. The people who get hurt in their crusade—the olds, the poors, the youngs, the sicks, the melanin-enhanced—are collateral damage; their suffering is an epiphenomenon scarcely to be noticed. And if the Kochs can get a cohort of stupids to act against their own economic interests, that just helps keep the Koch fingerprints off the weapons.

            The Bible-banging culture warriors really want people to suffer. Indeed, they want to hurt people, and if they weren’t cowards, they would be organizing mobs to attack those dirty others in the streets. It is the animating purpose of their (miserable, drab, joyless) lives.

            The Kochs are certainly awful and have caused incalculable harm, but they don’t hurt people for sport. That’s the distinction I was making. (And the Kochs don’t like the idea of access to healthcare because it both takes away a stick that a business can wield against its employees and makes it more likely that they might have to wait a few hours for their goat-gland transplants.)

            >>>The Kochs are certainly awful and have caused incalculable harm, but they don’t hurt people for sport.

            I can agree with that. I do feel that their maneuverings should be given as much attention as possible, however, which is why I responded as I did.

            As to the other sociopaths bent on hating those unlike themselves……they also require attention. The problem when you’re blogging is that you can’t do it all, unfortunately, so you pick and choose and hope you make the right choices.

          • stacib23

            I’m on the bottom feeder bandwagon when it comes to the Koch brothers, and I believe they KNOWINGLY cause harm to people every day.

            http://www.suntimes.com/news/23228497-418/bp-oil-byproduct-coating-cars-homes-east-side-residents-complain.html

    • JMAshby

      I think someone who wants to file a lawsuit against homosexuality doth protest too much.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I saw that article before. How exactly does one sue “homosexuality”? It’s not like it’s a club or anything.

  • i_a_c

    They want to prevent the working poor from getting some kind of healthcare. Absolutely disgusting.

  • trgahan

    Like I’ve noted before with the Koch’s…funny how inheriting all your wealth and position from your dad turns your crackpot ideas into “serious, thoughtful opinion” in our media culture….though since, both sides do it, I am sure there is some progressive oligarch spending a similar amount to counter this campaign? right?

  • lahru

    The Koch’s can spend as much as they want. The desire for proper health care is more powerful than money. Once the word spreads, from states that expand to those that don’t, over the months and years they will have spent their money very foolishly.

  • LTanya Spearman

    AP reported: ACA federal exchange enroll application tally are in 478,000 for the first 2 weeks.

  • missliberties

    The more light we shine on these fools the better.