“I’ve Been Called a Bigot Before”

If you’re skeptical that individuals interviewed by The Daily Show often have no idea what they’re getting into, this should assuage your doubts.

Republican precinct chairman Don Yelton resigned after this interview with Aasif Mandvi aired.

These are just some of the things Yelton had to say.

“Well, I’ve been called a bigot before.”
“As a matter of fact, one of my best friends is black.”
“When I was a young man you didn’t call a black a black, you called him a negro.”
“One time I had a picture of Obama sitting on a stump as a witch doctor and I posted that on Facebook.”
“I was making fun of my white half of Obama, not the black half.”
“Now you have a black person using the term nigger-this, nigger-that and it’s okay for them to do it.”
“If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that wants the government to give them everything, so be it.”

Not that these are out-of-the ordinary views among proponents of voter ID. He simply said it on camera.

This entry was posted in North Carolina, Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • notoriousbob

    Love how he said the law was NOT racist, but was just meant to hurt Democrats (such as lazy college kids and lazy blacks dependent on the Gov), like that made it OK. These people…

    • swift_4

      I don’t think he ended up resigning over the racism. He could wiggle around that with “deeply regret”, “not what I meant”, “what I feel in my heart”. But he can’t wiggle out of the fact that he not only outright stated the real reason for voter ID, but bragged about it.

    The subject of this post is from my old stomping grounds, Asheville, NC, and is well known there as an asshole extraordinaire. While Asheville itself is a bastion of Liberal Thought, the surrounding county is about as red as it gets. It is a good thing for Buncombe County (which, btw, is the origin of the
    usage of “bunk” as meaning “bullshit”) that he’s been outed on national
    TV.

    Also, and I shit you not, this is to whom he refers when he says “As a matter of fact, one of my best friends is black.”.

    Don Yelton and HK Edgerton at a political rally in 2008:

    • Guest

      Aww, crap. Pre-caffeinated brain left out the image, and one can’t edit a comment and insert one….
      DY &HK:

      Here’s the damn photo. I’m going for coffee….

      • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

        *snort / spew*: “at a political rally.” Good one!

      • D_C_Wilson

        Wow.

        And this guy was a leader of the local NACCP chapter?

  • D_C_Wilson

    That clip is comedy gold, especially that pregnant pause right after being asked if he was a racist.

    “One of my best friends is . . . . . . black.”

    “You know we can hear you, right?”

    Rachel Maddow reported that the local democrats held a party to watch the rerun of this episode the following day.

    What amazes me is how The Daily Show can get people to say what they really think while they’re completely unaware about how they sound.

    As Bob would say, “Keep going, republicans. You’re doing great!”

  • muselet

    “Well, I’ve been called a bigot before.”

    Golly, I wonder why.

    –alopecia