Jesse Lewis: Hero

This report from the Associated Press on the actions of a 6-year-old boy before he was shot in the head by Adam Lanza was hard to read.

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A 6-year-old boy killed in the massacre in Sandy Hook Elementary School shouted for his classmates to run while the gunman paused to reload and was shot moments later, the boy’s mother said Friday.

The boy, Jesse Lewis, had just seen his teacher shot and urged the others to flee while the gunman, Adam Lanza, put a new clip into his semi-automatic rifle.

“He yelled, ‘Run!’ Adam reloaded and shot him in the head,” said Scarlett Lewis, who learned details of the events inside the classroom from investigators who gathered accounts from children who survived. [...]

In Jesse’s classroom, which was led by teacher Victoria Soto, 11 students survived, including some who ran past Lanza when he stopped to reload.

My immediate thought after I first read this was that pro-gun fetishists are monsters, and not a single one of the dickless gun-toting protesters who have recently shown up in the Newtown area packing heat have the courage of Jesse Lewis.

The same could be said for pro-gun protesters across the country who, in the aftermath of the massacre of 20 children, declared that we need more guns.

Jesse Lewis, Autumn 2011 (AP Photo/Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation, Scarlett Lewis)

Jesse Lewis, Autumn 2011 (AP Photo/Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation, Scarlett Lewis)

This entry was posted in Best Persons, Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    >>>pro-gun fetishists are monsters, and not a single one of the dickless gun-toting
    protesters who have recently shown up in the Newtown area packing heat have the
    courage of Jesse Lewis.

    FTW.

    That our children are so at risk from these dickless thugs is beyond outrageous, it is criminal.

  • trgahan

    Yet the fetishists won…over Jesse’s (and his school mates) lifeless body.

  • Churchlady320

    All those children are important, but I’ve been drawn to Jesse because of the naked pain of his father. I don’t think he knew this at the time, but he spoke of Jesse so lovingly, and this must be one of those incredible moments knowing his son – whom he will never see again – did something so profoundly brave. Any gun fanatic who cannot say how sorry they are these beautiful kids died is not deserving of our hearing. I could have a discussion if ONLY that compassion were FRONT AND CENTER. It never has been. Are Second Amendment people that afraid of showing us that they, too, care about Jesse and the others who died? It does not weaken their arguments, but it might strengthen our joint humanity to say they are heartbroken, too.

  • feloniousgrammar

    I think this is the report that this story is taken from.

    http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-sandy-hook-shooting-details-20131018,0,246103.story

    The janitor also saved a lot of lives by running through the school and locking as many doors as he could so the shooter couldn’t easily get into the classrooms. Also, Adam Lanza parked his car in such a position (and left a rifle leaning against it) that he could have picked off the first responders as they arrived. As horrific and heartrendingly tragic as the massacre was, it could have been worse. He planned this massacre.

    Twenty children and six women killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The mass murderer killed his mother and himself.

    Guns Lots of guns. And ammunition. Lots of ammunition. And a plan that was based wholly on gunning people down, one at a time.

  • Gayle Stamler

    I tead the comments on the AP story and the majority were from gun fetishists who wanted to quibble about HOW DID WE KNOW this report was accurate, and did Jesse’s warning REAlLY DO ANY GOOD and why people would use the term “pause” instead of reload and similar irrelevancies. Heartless monsters is really too kind a description.