John Kasich is a Little Slow on the Uptake

Ohio Governor John Kasich has had an epiphany, but it’s not clear how long this moment of clarity will last.

“I’m concerned about the fact there seems to be a war on the poor,” he said, sitting at the head of a burnished table as members of his cabinet lingered after a meeting. “That if you’re poor, somehow you’re shiftless and lazy.”

“You know what?” he said. “The very people who complain ought to ask their grandparents if they worked at the W.P.A.”

He’s right but, you know, the War on the Poor has been ongoing for quite some time. It’s been ongoing since he was a representative in the 80s and 90s.

That the governor decided to go against his party and expand Medicaid, extending coverage to as many as 275,000 people, is at least one sign that he may be serious.

On the other hand, it’s also possible Kasich is simply trying to avoid being washed out with the bath water.

This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Americans may be the only people in the world who pity the rich and resent the poor, instead of the other way around.

  • LTanya Spearman

    The governor is just doing cosmetic change, the roots haven’t change… Can we say re-election… This isn’t news, news would be: If the governor re-hirer all the lay-off city/state workers, he fired — take the restrictions off health clinics, return all the money back to the Ohioans, he gave to his corp. bubbies, release restrictions on bargaining rights..
    Their old saying, “Beware of false prophets.”

  • cheeriogirl

    Too little, too late Mr. Kasich. Ohioans have seen your lack of integrity and character, and want nothing to do with you or your party’s self described “ideals”.

  • trgahan

    Funny the “epiphany’s” plugging approval ratings and poll numbers bring about.

    This one could be grouped in with all the media pundits/major newspaper columnists/op-ed contributors about faces on Iraq in 2006 or deregulated supply side economics in 2008. And like them, it will wear off and once again people making less than $250,000 and not members of the Chamber of Commerce will be what are wrong with this country again.

  • drspittle

    What’s interesting to me is that he confirmed to my state senator that the state legislature would not vote to accept Medicaid Expansion because of their dislike for Obama. I’ve wondered about his motives myself (though I’m very happy he went ahead and engaged the Control Board) because he’s realized he’d pay too big a price if he supports Rethug extremists.

  • muselet

    “I’m concerned about the fact there seems to be a war on the poor,” he said.…

    Seems to be?

    –alopecia

  • fry1laurie

    While the Medicaid expansion (two whole years!!,…what about after?) is welcome, we still remember SB5 here in Ohio. He’s going down, no matter what.

  • D_C_Wilson

    On the plus side, if even an asshole like Kasich can recognize that there’s a war on the poor, maybe there’s hope for this country yet.