Keepin’ it Classy

According to The Daily Caller, teaching college students not to yell “fag” during a play about a hate crime is some form of diabolical “re-education.”

via Media Matters

During an October 1 performance at Ole Miss of The Laramie Project, a play about Matthew Shepard’s murder, a group of football players disrupted the play by shouting “fag” and other homophobic epithets. According to The Daily Mississippian, the players were attending the performance to fulfill a theater credit. In response to the incident, the pro-LGBT campus organization Allies will host an “educational dialogue session,” which everyone present at the October 1 performance will attend.

In an October 8 article, Daily Caller education editor Eric Owens dubbed the forum a “re-education session.”

Technically speaking you may be able to refer to this a re-education, and you would certainly be justified in saying that these Bros need to be re-educated, however The Daily Caller wishes we wouldn’t punish everyone just because a few bad apples let their bigotry fly and laughed at things that aren’t funny. And this comes from the goddamn education editor. The editor!

No harm, no foul, right? No big deal. Bros will be bros. Let’s not punish all of them.

From my perspective re-education is a slap on the wrist. I believe players or students who yelled “fag” during a play about the murder of Matthew Shepard should be kicked off the team and out of school.

Shepard was tortured, beaten, and left for dead because he was gay. He was found tied to a fence.

The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act was signed into law by President Obama on October 28, 2009.

This entry was posted in Education, Ethics, LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    The Daily Caller…. Isn’t that Li’l Tucker Carlson’s concatenation of blatant lies, bow ties, and shite?

  • muselet

    How can you re-educate someone who wasn’t educated to begin with?

    I’m actually not being flip. From the Daily Mississippian:

    “The football players were asked by the athletics department to apologize to the cast,” Ole Miss Theatre Department Chair Rene Pulliam said. “However, I’m not sure the players truly understood what they were apologizing for.”

    I think an “educational dialogue session” is the right response. It means the people—almost all of them students of Ole Miss—who behaved like arseholes learn that their actions have consequences, and at the same time makes it hard for Righties to turn them into martyrs to The Noble Cause of Free Speech. Even Eric Owens had to work hard to find the session objectionable, and this sort of thing is apparently his bread and butter (from the link):

    For The Daily Caller, Owens was a natural choice to tackle the story. He’s the website’s go-to apologist for anti-LGBT bullies, having mocked transgender high school students “running for homecoming king, queen, whatever,” dismissing transgender students’ fight for appropriate bathroom access as a demand for “special treatment,” and poking fun at a bullied transgender student’s video about facing transphobic bullying as an “interminable” “YouTube meltdown.”

    If there’s a repeat of the boorish, deliberately offensive behavior, on or off campus, by the people who heckled during The Laramie Project, then yes, the school should chuck them out without hesitation. But I would give them one more chance to behave like decent human beings, albeit decent human beings with prominent red flags on their college records.

    –alopecia

  • Badgerite

    I don’t think that is ‘re-education’. I believe that would be called MANNERS.

  • Lady Willpower

    “The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act was signed into law by President Obama on October 28, 2009.”

    WORSE THAN BUSH, OBVI.

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    Biggest mistake in the nation’s history: not saying “good riddance” when the Confederate States seceded 150+ years ago. Can we have a do-over? We can have a one-year period for refugees to settle in the other 37 states (unless Idaho, Utah and Arizona would like to join them), then build a fence twice the size of the one on the Mexican border.

    And stop sending our U.S. federal tax dollars to the people who decide not to flee Confederistan for a better life in the United States.

  • fojap

    Isn’t this the same school:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/us/anti-obama-protest-at-university-of-mississippi-turns-unruly.html?_r=0

    The school probably just lost the last three applicants who were not from Mississippi. You’v got to feel for the school’s chancellor. The other day, I was making a comment online to someone who was not from the U.S. and I wanted to check my facts. I discovered that the average income in Maryland is nearly twice that of Mississippi. If we could only awaken them to the fact that they are the ones who suffer the most from their ignorance.

  • cleos_mom

    If the names “Mississippi” and “Massachusetts” were reversed in geographical location, would that college be referred to as “Ole Massa”?