Manifest Density

confederate-states-of-america

So, this week, Kentucky Senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul were caught in an open mic moment talking about their government shutdown as a matter of public relations strategy and how they can still win over the hearts and minds of the easily duped, and something, with Sen. Rand Paul doing most of the talking about how he was just over at the CNN watering hole making the propaganda rounds and the vibe over there was that a majority of people in this country just don’t get that it’s the Republicans who are willing to negotiate and it’s the Obamacare-loving president who is being unreasonable.

Life and death gamesmanship just needs better messaging.

So, Sen. Rand Paul’s plan is to continue along with their reign of terror and “win” with wordplay by repeating over and over again how Republicans are more than willing to negotiate the release of the hostages from the position of the terrorist.

See, you people are so confused. So brainwashed by the mainstream media. Can’t you understand that this is all for your own good, America? Republicans are the reasonable ones! The terrorists are Freedom Fighters!

What many people seem to be missing is that the Affordable Care Act’s mandate for big businesses with over 50 employees to make coverage available has already been delayed a year to appease our Right wing Corporate Overlords who have been less than enthused about their employees having the freedom to walk away from their horrible bosses without fear of losing their healthcare insurance.

So, Republicans have already gotten their one-year delay. Being the shrewd hostage-takers that they are(for lack of a better cliche), they want it all.

The live mic exchange went like this:

Senator Paul: “Do you have a second?”

Senator McConnell: ”I’m all wired up here, um.”

Paul: “I just did CNN and I just go over and over again ‘We’re willing to compromise.  ‘We’re willing to negotiate.’  I think… I don’t think they poll tested we won’t negotiate.  I think it’s awful for them to say that over and over again.”

McConnell: “Yeah, I do too and I, and I just came back from that two hour meeting with them and that, and that was basically the same view privately as it was publicly.”

Paul: “I think if we keep saying ‘We wanted to defund it.  We fought for that and that we’re willing to compromise on this’, I think they can’t, we’re gonna, I think… well I know we don’t want to be here, but we’re gonna win this I think.”

I think it’s important to point out that Senator Rand Paul is a functioning imbecile who fails over and over again to demonstrate the ability to understand the most rudimentary concept of government, or his proper role within it. And this kind of poll-tested rhetoric being employed by Sen. Rand Paul is a great reason why people in general seem to despise politicians.

But Steve Benen writes:

This comes up all the time with the junior senator from Kentucky. In August, Paul spoke about the philosophic nature of “rights,” though his opinions on the subject were laregly gibberish. The senator says he cares deeply about minority rights, which he struggles to grasp. Paul talks about drone policy, which he flubs badly. He’s expressed a great interest in the Federal Reserve, which he doesn’t understand in the slightest. Paul claims to hate Obamacare, but he fails to appreciate what the policy is and what it does. He says he’s deeply concerned about the deficit, but doesn’t know what the deficit is.

In Rand Paul’s interview with CNN earlier in the week, the one in which he ran back to tell Obamacare-lover Mitch McConnell all about how they’re “gonna win” if they just continue to charge up Cemetery Hill and repeat that it is the Republicans who are more than willing negotiators standing up to the rigid, obstructionist president, said of the impending debt-ceiling set for October 17th: ”There’s no reason to raise the debt limit.”

No reason! But why, pray tell?

“What’s going on is, interestingly, the Democrats are scaring people saying we might not pay [interest on the debt] because Republicans don’t want to raise the debt ceiling,” Paul said on CNN. “If you don’t raise the debt ceiling that means you won’t have a balanced budget, it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t pay your bills.”

Adorable. Sen. Paul went on to say in that interview that “We should pay our interest and we shouldn’t scare the markets, so if I were in charge – I’ll say, absolutely we will never default.”

Well, they are in charge, and we are shut down– with our national credibility on the line being used as a pawn in a game of checkers. It’s a divided government. House Republicans can pass a clean Continuing Resolution right now to at least allow the hostages a bathroom break before they use our debt limit as another “winning” negotiation tactic. But House Speaker John Boehner showed no signs of a peaceful end to this standoff today on ABC’s This Week.

So, according to Sen. Rand Paul, if Republicans are in charge, they’ll “never default” on our obligations and this whole national nightmare can all be put to rest if we just hand over our government.

These are dangerous people.

(Image via Confederate States Of America)

This entry was posted in Crazy Caucus, Ethics, Far-right Intellectual Violence, Quote, Rand Paul, Republican Party, Terrorism, Wingnuts, Worst Persons and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • formerlywhatithink

    The far left on Rand Paul: but…but…he wants to legalize weed so he’s all right by us.

      That’s because too many of them are freaking morons.

    • feloniousgrammar

      — and drones, drones, the terrible drones!

      • mdblanche

        Yes, they do tend to drone on terribly, much like Rand.

  • Teddy’s Person

    The image is from the film (C.S.A.: Confederate States Of America), and the film is awesome. I recommend watching if you like engaging in some clever and funny counterfactual history (i.e., what if the south won the Civil War). The whole thing is available on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJJtH_5vcmM).

    >>>These are dangerous people.

    Scary dangerous, and they’re not only stupid, but insane.

    • Lady Willpower

      And armed.

  • roxsteady1

    Dangerous and stupid!

    Idiot Paul today:

    “I think it’s irresponsible of the president and his men to even talk
    about default. There’s no reason for us to default. We bring in $250
    billion in taxes every month. Our interest payment is $20 billion. Tell
    me why we would ever default,” Paul said on NBC’s “Meet The Press.” “We
    have legislation called the Full Faith and Credit Act, and it tells the
    president you must pay the interest on the debt. So this is a game.”

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/10/06/rand-paul-its-irresponsible-of-obama-to-talk-about-default/

    Yeah, it’s a “game” alright, that should be called “Dismantling Democracy”.

    And as to anyone being irresponsible, I’d have to say that would be the Confederate gang in Congress. Because what is ignoring a duly legislated and enacted law of the land in favor of your own flavor/minority viewpoint?

    These people should be behind fucking bars.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      They should be given the death penalty for their acts of treason.

    FYI, Disqus is eating comments.

  • muselet

    We like to focus on ninnyhammers like Rand Paul because, well, he’s ridiculous and deserves our opprobrium.

    However, he’s not the only simpleton we need to worry about. Kevin Drum this morning quoted from a Byron York interview in the Washington Examiner with an anonymous congressional R, who is astonished that the Ds won’t accept even increasingly minor changes to the ACA in exchange for nothing.

    It’s a variant on the “it’s all the Ds’ fault” line, but as Drum explains, it’s (his words, not mine) “jaw-droppingly naive” because of the recent history of such negotiations.

    It’s hard to negotiate—it’s hard to occupy the same physical space—with people who indulge in such willful stupidity.

    –alopecia

    • dbtheonly

      You & mrbrink dismiss Paul as a ninny & not understanding his role in government. You do so erroneously. Paul knows what he’s doing. It’s just that he disagrees with us on major fundamental issues.

      Paul et. al. are playing “manipulate the media” with the constant barrage of re-opening offers. They’re building next year’s spot ads. And if they can change the media’s focus; then the ACA can still be undone.

      • mrbrink

        I don’t dismiss him at all as a politician and a glaring danger to the country. I do it for the impressionable kids out there experimenting with conservative Libertarians like Rand Paul. My dismissal of his intelligence and ideas should not be mistaken for dismissal of reach and effectiveness.

      • muselet

        I don’t think I’ve ever claimed Rand Paul isn’t dangerous. If I have, I was wrong. He is very dangerous. He is also very confused about everything except the land of sparkleponies and freedumb that exists only in his imagination.

        Steve Benen:

        Why would Rand Paul — a U.S. senator, mind you — say all this stuff out loud and on purpose? Because he thinks he’s saying things that entirely sensible.

        This comes up all the time with the junior senator from Kentucky. In August, Paul spoke about the philosophic nature of “rights,” though his opinions on the subject were largely gibberish. The senator says he cares deeply about minority rights, which he struggles to grasp. Paul talks about drone policy, which he flubs badly. He’s expressed a great interest in the Federal Reserve, which he doesn’t understand in the slightest. Paul claims to hate Obamacare, but he fails to appreciate what the policy is and what it does. He says he’s deeply concerned about the deficit, but doesn’t know what the deficit is.

        Obviously, no one is an expert in everything, but the key here is that Rand Paul, like the folks in the Jimmy Kimmel video [of people who hate Obamacare but love the Affordable Care Act], have strong opinions about subjects he claims to care deeply about, but about which he seems hopelessly confused.

        The senator speaks with great confidence about these issues, as if he’s given them a great deal of thought, but the confidence masks a degree of ignorance that Paul seems blissfully unaware of.

        Rand Paul is a United States Senator and the average tenth-grader has a more profound understanding of government and policy than his. That’s why I call him names, that’s why he’s dangerous, and that’s why he doesn’t belong anywhere near the levers of power.

        Does he know what he’s doing? He knows he wants to destroy the federal government, but apart from that, I don’t think so.

    I thought Paul said that if we don’t raise the debt ceiling, that means we would have a balanced budget. Which is even stupider.

    Terrorism is never in the first person, such as “our hostage taking
    zealots.” It is only in the third person – “their hostage taking zealots
    ” – that it becomes terrorism. – (not) Ben Franklin