Massive Cut to Food Stamps Coming Friday

An enormous cut to the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) will come into effect on Friday, November 1st, and the reason why may astonish you.

According to a new report from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, nearly 1 million veterans will be among the 48 million who will experience a benefit cut as of Friday.

The reason the program will see a reduction on that day is because that part of the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (the stimulus) is set to expire.

The 2009 Recovery Act temporarily raised SNAP benefits as a form of effective economic stimulus and to reduce the hardship that low-income families faced during the recession. This benefit increase is set to expire on November 1. The coming benefit cut will reduce SNAP benefits, which are already modest, for all households by 7 percent on average, or about $10 per person per month. Without the Recovery Act’s boost, SNAP benefits in fiscal year 2014 will average less than $1.40 per person per meal. This is a serious cut, especially considering that over 80 percent of SNAP participants live in poverty.

snapChart

As you may recall, Congress still hasn’t passed a comprehensive farm bill, however the House has passed a bill that cuts another $40 billion from SNAP over the next 10 years. Because House Republicans really, really hate poor people.

If SNAP is cut by $40 billion over the next 10 years, that will kick 3.8 million people off the rolls in 2014 and an additional 3 million people every single year until fiscal 2024 according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

Beyond the obvious, this will also hit retailers who sell food to SNAP recipients. The damage will not stop at the water’s edge.

To frame this as a $40 billion cut to the nation’s grocers would not be inaccurate.

Not that it needs to be said, but that was some damn good stimulus.

This entry was posted in Congress, Food and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    To frame this as a $40 billion cut to the nation’s grocers would not be inaccurate

    To frame it as anything else would be inaccurate. Money provided under SNAP goes to purchase food. There is now, or will son be, $40,000,000,000 less spent in grocery stores, etc.

  • trgahan

    It is also hell of a lot of FOOD pulled out of the mouths of the young, elderly, and disabled who live in the greatest and wealthiest nation EVER but that nation is only great if it is not responsible for feeding those who can’t feed themselves. In fact, our greatness is somehow predicated on making food HARDER to obtain.

    But I am sure a troll will shortly tell me that the only people on SNAP (or any social service) are healthy able-bodied, adult male, minorities leeching the system.

  • feloniousgrammar

    It’s also less money spent on other things because more is being spent out of pocket for food. It could also be responsible, in the long run, for higher health care costs.

  • feloniousgrammar

    And it could also lead to less support for small farmers. I shop at a farmer’s market that sells some local produce at low prices in the late summer and fall. The fruit isn’t pristine and uniform, but it’s delicious and much fresher than fruit flown in from South America, so it lasts longer. They also carry quite a bit of locally produced greenhouse greens and strawberries.

    • vgranucci

      IIRC, one of the original purposes of the food stamp program, and the reason it’s in the farm bill, is to reduce the amount of surplus farm commodities

  • mrbrink

    Rolling Stone just did a great piece on the GOP’s ‘starve them out’ sadism.

    Out of the recession that they caused, out of the ashes of their continued economic sabotage, of the 47 million Americans receiving their consolation prize food rations for being physically and mentally abused since Reagan by these aggressive sociopaths and their billionaire Don Yeltons in the corporate sector, nearly half goes to children!

    And it’s $40 billion in cuts because Eric Cantor is the fucking Castle Rock Killer slithering through the tunnels and gazebos of Congress with his favorite pair of scizzors.

    So, it’s not enough for them that people will be getting an immoral cut in their food rations just before the Christian holidays, with food banks and charities already overrun, billions and billions wasted in Republican party shut downs, obstruction, and outright treason, Eric Cantor and the Tea Party Republicans aren’t just trying to cut funds, they’re trying to repeal food for the poor altogether by saving the subsidies going out to rural welfare farmers, pitting them against those ‘strapping blacks’ in the inner-cities driving around in their Cadillacs with their sushi and lobster sandwiches, and people wonder why this president can’t get along with these fucking psychopaths.

    I repeat: nearly half of all SNAP recipients are children! and the GOP is trying to drive their parents to suicide like on-line bullies you can’t file a restraining order against who, after they’ve berated you and humiliated you in the check-out line of the local grocery store, probably a Walmart, they can have your food supply cut off. Because they are sick and cruel.

    Republicans are trying to starve children, right now, this second, as it was yesterday and the day before, but before we get to any of that we’ve got to save Angela Merkel’s privacy and repeal the Obamacare website.

    • drspittle

      I apologize for pimping my parody, (which would be sung to “How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria” from Sound of Music): but I think it’s appropo:

      How do we send a message to the media?
      How do we catch their spin and pin them down?
      How do we find words to describe the media?
      They’re stenographic
      They’re sycophantic
      They‘re pawns.
      We wish they would say how ACA could help us
      And how kids will eat when they are cut from SNAP!
      Oh how can we make sure they
      State more than what “both sides say”
      How can we make sure that they understand?
      Oh how do we send a message to the media?
      Give them the middle fingers on our hands.

  • D_C_Wilson

    When are they just going to adopt Swift’s “A Modest Proposal” as their new anti-poverty plan?