Non-Fiction

Artist – Dave Granlund

The Kansas City Star has a lengthy story of what reads like another Steubenville in the making. Perhaps worse.

A 14-year-old cheerleader and her 13-year-old friend were both raped while intoxicated by senior football players while the older of the two victims was later dumped outside her home in the middle of the night in 30 degree weather. And while authorities obtained physical evidence and confessions, a local prosecutor dropped the charges against the rapists because he believed there wasn’t sufficient evidence.

One reason he may think that is because one of the rapists is the grandson of a state senator.

After the charges were dropped by the prosecutor, local villagers drove the family of the victim out of town after her mother was fired. The family’s former home (which they still owned) was also burned down.

I think we should take off and nuke Small Town America from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure. Steubenville was not an aberration or a rarity. It was typical.

This entry was posted in Congress, Open Thread and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lady Willpower

    Jesus wept.

  • feloniousgrammar

    If someone has to be out in public making an armed show of force to assert the right to self-defense then shouldn’t those people be women and girls?

  • Tony Lavely

    I guess they knew what kind of comments they’d receive from the ‘God-fearing” folk of Nodaway County when they disabled commenting.

  • Guest

    No need to pick on small town America. It is typical of everywhere.

    • fojap

      I have to agree with this. When the Canadian teenager who had been raped committed suicide a while ago, no one was saying that we had to “nuke small-town Canada.” I don’t think these sort of statements help us win friends and influence people. I don’t care about winning friends, but influencing people would be nice.

  • JozefAL

    It’s amazing. When reports of underaged girls being raped in the Middle East or South Asia make the headlines, there’s all sorts of outrage from the right-wing at the “barbarism” of “those people.” When girls in THIS country are raped by high school (or, in more than a few cases, college) athletes–especially in “small-town America”–suddenly, the “boys will be boys” mentality takes over.

    Maybe these girls should go public wearing burqas and asking something like “Is this what we have to wear to keep from being raped?” Or “Do we have to wear something like this to get any sympathy in OUR own country by OUR own people?” Maybe it would………nah. The right-wing and “small-town America” doesn’t do sarcasm very well.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I grew up in Harrisburg, PA, which is hardly a major metropolitan area. Still I guess it’s too big to be considered “Small Town America,” because I have never understood the mentality that treats high school football players like gods. I stopped caring about how my high school football team does about five seconds after they handed me my diploma. I can’t imagine what it’s like in these small towns where people’s lives are so empty that they only thing to do on Friday night is watch the local high school team play football.

    I tried watching “Varsity Blues” on cable once. I couldn’t get through it and not just because of James Van der Beek’s “acting”. There’s a montage scene in the movie showing the town’s streets completely empty because everyone is at the game. There’s another scene in a diner where a couple of old guys are complaining about the vandalism and other mischief the football players have been engaging in. The coach is sitting at the counter and overhears them talking. He turns around and asks them if they have a probelm. The two old guys immediately clam up and assure him that they have no problem.

    I just don’t get it. Is winning a state championship really so important that people will let players get away with nearly everything.

    I just don’t get it.

    Of course, I went to Penn State and I don’t understand why people will defend Joe Paterno, either.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I simply, flat out, cannot comprehend the mindset that leads people to act this way.

    What could possibly lead someone to believe that this is how you behave?

    I just can’t get it.