Obamacare is Working

The expansion of Medicaid in Oregon has enabled to state the cut it’s number of uninsured persons by 10 percent in just the last two weeks.

The low-income, Medicaid-funded program has already signed up 56,000 new people, cutting the state’s number of uninsured by 10 percent, according to Oregon Health Authority officials. [...]

Since late September the Oregon Health Authority sent out notices to 260,000 people already enrolled in the state’s food stamps program since late October.

The notices informed them that based on their income reported to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, they are pre-qualified for the Oregon Health Plan in 2014.

Republicans shut the government down for the past two weeks because they think this is a bad thing.

Under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), the federal government will cover 100 percent of the cost of expanding Medicaid until 2015, 95 percent of the cost until 2017, and 90 percent of the cost in 2020 and beyond.

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    I’ve been an in-home caregiver in Oregon, paid by the State of Oregon for fourteen years. Though there is a lot I still don’t really get about Oregon, but this is a fiscally responsible state that, if I’m not mistaken, is serving as an early model for the exchange. It’s the first state in the Union to have state funded in-home caregiving which allows the elderly and disabled to stay out of institutions and live in dignity. The coordinated care from caregivers, HMOs, visiting nurses, and the SEIU creates win/win situations for all parties.

    This state also collects income taxes and rebates unused revenue back to the citizens.

  • That River Gal

    We’ve had over 25K in Washington state, and all but about 3K are the previously uninsured poor. http://www.king5.com/health/care/aca/health-exchange-sign-ups-227807611.html

    I finally got a log in and filled out the application on the site but I have yet to receive any information on plans (they said I should get an email). Did anyone else use the healthcare.gov site and how long did it take for you to get your email after you’d finished the application. Thanks in advance!

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    As the article notes, the Oregon exchange isn’t fully functional yet (just today I could get plan details on line, but we still can’t enroll on line) … I’m being patient because (1) on October 1st, it showed me enough to see that I can get a new policy at a savings of $140 per month less than I pay now (and I’ve been precluded from searching for other plans before because of a pre-existing condition), and (2) we have until December 15th to enroll and be covered next year. ObamaCare is an unqualified success in Oregon, even if the roll-out of the exchange is a little bumpy. Patience is a virtue (which the screaming hordes in the Republican party have completely forgotten).

  • mrbrink

    It’s failing! FAILING!!! And all the successes in the world will never change that!

    Lip/Quiver.

  • Badgerite

    And this is the reason the GOP has been so desperate to prevent the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. It is actually a very good piece of legislation which preserves the private insurance market while reigning in its worst abuses and making coverage affordable for most of the citizenry. When people start signing up, they will see that.
    The government website is horrible. But people who want to sign up can simply contact representatives from the insurance company they are interested in getting insured by. Chances are they are on the Federal Exchange and would be more than happy to answer questions and guide the people through the process of signing up. For them, it is new business.