Photo of the Day

I’m aware that people are dressing up their babies as Walter White and Patrick Stewart is wearing a lobster costume, but I think this is far more important. Because I’m a party pooper.

Senator Cory Booker is sworn in by vice President Joe Biden (CBS)

Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) is sworn into office by Vice President Joe Biden (CBS)

Senator Cory Booker is the ninth African American senator in our nation’s history. He’s also the only elected African American senator currently serving in Congress. Senator Tim Scott (R) of South Carolina was appointed, not elected.

This entry was posted in Congress, Cory Booker, Photography and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    And he’s a democrat. Yay.

  • roxsteady1

    I’m with you Ash! And as an African American female I’m thrilled that we have an elected Senator. Tim Scott is a clown and clearly, a token thrown out there by the GOP as more faux outreach. It’s not working. I’m still hopeful that someday, we can get an African American on the Supreme Court! We haven’t had one since Marshall.

    • feloniousgrammar

      You mean an African-American liberal, right?

    • Christopher Foxx

      I’m still hopeful that someday, we can get an African American on the Supreme Court! We haven’t had one since Marshall.

      Uhhh. Clarence Thomas?

      • Kitty Smith

        I think most people would like to forget about Chief Justice Thomas

        • Christopher Foxx

          .
          Chief Justice?

          Damn, that was a scary thought. Happy Halloween to you, too.

          • Kitty Smith

            Whoops, sorry. My mistake, I thought that was the proper title.

        Wait, he’s black? (/snark, of course)

  • i_a_c

    And, he’s the first elected African American Senator since what’s-his-name. You know, that Kenyan Muslim guy.

    ;o)

    • Christopher Foxx

      Whatever happened to him?

      • i_a_c

        Who knows? I heard some people wanted him deported, so maybe he’s long gone.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Yeah. I heard he’s back in his native country. Rumor has it he’s done pretty well for himself there.

  • willpen

    Sometimes there is not a lot to be proud of when you are from NJ. We’ve got J-Wow and Snookie and good ole Chris Christie but now I can proudly say that we have one kick ass new Senator representing us. Now we have to get rid of the jackass gerrymandered douche bag Congressman that represents me.