Quote of the Day

“I have friends that I know, or very much suspect, are homosexual. Everybody does.” Justice Antonin Scalia

What the I don’t even—

No, Scalia can’t possibly be homophobic. You know, because of all his homosexual friends — or friends he suspects of being homosexual.

This entry was posted in LGBT, Quote and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    Isn’t using “But I have gay friends..” qualifier to justify homophobic beliefs soooo 2004?

    The only thing shocking about this is that Scalia has friends.

  • JimmyAbra

    OK…when do people realize knowing someone or having friends in a group that has a history of being discriminated against does not mean you are no longer eligible of being a bigot against those groups…That just means, at the very least, you have given an exception to someone once you have gotten to “know” them. The test of not being a bigot is to give those you don’t know of a group the same benefit of the doubt of those of your own group.

  • Badgerite

    And does he, then, consider those ‘friends’ of his to be in the same category as rapists, murders, pedophiles, etc..? Because that is the argument he made as to why individual states should be able to intrude into their bedrooms. If they weren’t allowed to outlaw gay sex, then how could they outlaw murder. Reductio ad absurdum indeed. How about because one action is consensual, non harmful sex and the other is murder?

  • markmac123

    “Every time someone says, ‘I’m not racist’, you’re about to hear the most racist shit you’ve ever heard in your life.” -Greg Giraldo
    i think it applies to homophobes too.

  • Clancy

    I wonder what activities or traits Scalia believes are positive indicators that a friend could be gay? — “Hmm, it’s curious that Frank and Mark often hold hands in public, have lived together for twenty years, and adopted that kid last December. I suspect that they might be homosexual. . .”

      SETTING: shower room at the gym
      CHARACTERS: Antonin Scalia; Random Gym Dude

      SCALIA (V/O): Dear Lord, that man looked at my tushie and then closed his eyes in a dreamy fashion. He may have Teh Ghey!!!

      DUDE (V/O): OMG, that has got to be the most disgusting, pasty-white ass I’ve ever had the misfortune to glance at.

      • mrbrink

        I’m laughing through the vomiting.

  • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

    I KNEW IT! ROBERTS’ HAIR IS JUST TOO PERFECT!!!!!

    With judgment like that at work, we can stop worrying so much about the state of the Supreme Court!

    /silent cry

  • Teddy’s Person

    The “or very much suspect” part gives me the heebeegeebeez. Scalia sitting around thinking about other people’s sex lives, gross.

    • feloniousgrammar

      It could be worse. He could be sitting around thinking of his sex life.

      You’ve got it mixed up there. He’s not thinking about other people fucking, but rather about how to fuck other people over.

  • D_C_Wilson

    In that same interview, Scalia also says he believes in the devil. Makes sense. Most people do believe in themselves.

  • mrbrink

    Wingnuts use the word “homosexual” because, for one, they don’t get out of the 1950′s very often, but it sexualizes matters of civil rights and liberties that they historically resent. It’s a way to demean and dehumanize. It’s a dog whistle for them that asserts superiority and smiles on bigotry.

  • muselet

    Some of his best friends are …

    I wonder if Antonin Scalia knows—or cares—that every time he opens his gob and words come out, he makes himself sound like an even more terrible person.

    –alopecia