Ryan: The Way to Raise Revenue is Through Osmosis

PathtoPoverty

House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan has already stated that he will not support new revenue, but now he’s saying that even discussing the issue of taxes during the coming budget conference may produce an impasse.

RYAN: “Taking more from hardworking families just isn’t the answer. I know my Republican colleagues feel the same way, so I want to say this from the get-go: If this conference becomes an argument about taxes, we’re not going to get anywhere. The way to raise revenue is to grow the economy.”

He’s not necessarily wrong that they ‘won’t get anywhere,’ and I believe that the best we can hope for is preserving the status quo while avoiding another government shutdown, however Ryan is not opposed to the idea because he’s genuinely concerned about functioning government.

No, he’s opposed to the idea because he’s an ideologue who believes we should pass the tax plan he and Mitt Romney ran on in 2012.

All of Ryan’s rhetoric up to this point suggests that the only budget that can make it out of his committee is one that follows the Romney/Ryan blueprint of tax cuts and spending cuts. Revenue will come later. Somehow. Maybe.

We’re going to wake up one day and realize that it’s Spring 2016 and we’re still talking about the Republican plan to drastically cut taxes for the wrong people and cut spending for people who need it the most. It won’t matter that the deficit has been cut by 80 percent by then. All that matters is the Takers and the Makers and their warped since of justice.

Whoever the Republican nominee is could be locked into the Romney/Ryan Path to Poverty before they’re even chosen, and they’ll go down in flames.

In the present time, it’s plausible that fiscal 2014 will be half over before Congress even passes a fiscal 2014 budget. Because even if Congress passes a budget in January, something which I find unlikely, we’ll already be 5 months into a fiscal year that began on October 1st.

But I heard there’s some kind of glitch with a website so, you know, who cares?

This entry was posted in Congress, Economy, Taxes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    According to a post at Talking Points Memo

    In the same opening remarks, Ryan urged action on scaling back Social Security and Medicare — which progressives want to avoid at all costs, and which President Barack Obama and Democratic leaders have promised not to touch without new federal revenues.

    And according to this article in the Atlantic

    The GOP has lost more support among voters over 65 than any other demographic group in recent months, according to a new poll…

    … Just 28 percent of voters 65 and older had a favorable view of the Republican Party in a national survey conducted last month by the Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg, versus 40 percent who had a positive view of the Democrats. That’s a reversal from a poll Greenberg conducted in early 2011, when 43 percent of seniors saw Republicans favorably and 37 percent saw Democrats that way.

    Bless their little hearts, they’re finally figuring out that the Republican party doesn’t love them.

      All this talk about reforming entitlements just gets my blood going. Folks like Ryan are salivating to get at those benefits (even Social Security, which isn’t technically a frigging entitlement in the first damn place). They can’t seem to resist the idea of stealing from the poor to get revenue so they can pretend to reduce our debt while they’d actually be giving it to the rich in the form of tax cuts. They’re betting that the American people are too ignorant to understand this scheme. They were right in past years because the Ryan plan seemed pretty popular in the media, which in turn affected the voters’ understanding of the plan. Now that the Republicans have shown their true colors MAYBE they’ll see it differently. Right now, though, I’m afraid those negative numbers for the GOP are based on emotion and not a new understanding of how the GOP wants to make us bend over and grab our ankles. Emotions can be too easily swayed in my book. While the American public is pissed off at the GOP, they are more receptive to hearing the truth. So now is the perfect time to deep six the Ryan plan and all of it’s attendant BS.

      • JozefAL

        Well, considering how Social Security has been used over the past several decades, it IS virtually an entitlement–for the budget. Even though SS isn’t supposed to be used for anything other than paying out SS, the government has been dipping into the Fund for at least 30 years (if not more) to help keep the deficit from looking even worse than it really was (it’s a bit like the Post Office’s budgetary woes–yes, the USPS is losing money but IF you remove the onerous health prefunding figures, the losses are much less horrifying). Unfortunately, leaders of both parties (both in Congress and the White House) have become addicted to the lower deficit numbers that result from including SS money in the budget process.

        • feloniousgrammar

          I’m pretty sure that’s a myth.

  • Nefercat

    If Ryan is too stupid to grasp that raising taxes *will* grow the economy, he’s too stupid to be a part of the discussion.

    Also, if “taking more from hardworking families just isn’t the answer”, why is he so insistent on taking money from Social Security recipients and replacing Medicare with a coupon?

    A venal, soulless, and stupid ratweasel.

  • Badgerite

    Hardworking families like Jamie Diamond and Carly Fiorina and such?

      Yes, those poor buggers only have 5 BMWs and Jaguars between them. Oh the horror!

  • mrbrink

    Haha: “If this conference becomes an argument about taxes, we’re not going to get anywhere. The way to raise revenue is to grow the economy.”

    What he means is, he’ll still talk about eliminating the capital gains tax, estate tax, corporate tax, and any taxes on millionaires and billionaires and shrinking the government by throwing 200 million men, women and children into poverty and brothels overnight. Oh, and Keystone pipeline forever!! But there will be no talk of taxes. Unless of course it’s a tax that raises the filing fees on the licensing required to hunt and bag your own poor person. They’re so flexible.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Nah, many of them are open to raising certain taxes. Like for example, eliminating the Earned Income Tax Credit, because poor people have refrigerators and they’re such “lucky ducks” for not having to pay any net federal income tax.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The way to raise revenue is to grow the economy.

    Every time I hear a republican say this, I have a fleeting moment of hope that this will mean they’ll finally stop sabotaging the economy. Then I remember, no, that’s not going to happen so long as the Evil Kenyan Atheist Muslim Nazi Marxist Usurper is still occupying the White House.