Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz Storm The World War II Memorial

Just like Normandy! Opportunism knocks.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 13:  Former Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin (R) and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) recite the Pledge of Allegiance at a rally supported by military veterans, Tea Party activists and Republicans, regarding the government shutdown on October 13, 2013 in Washington, DC.  (Photo by Andrew Burton/Getty Images)

Former Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin (R) and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) recite the Pledge of Allegiance at a rally supported by military veterans, Tea Party activists and Republicans on October 13, 2013 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Andrew Burton/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (AP) — A crowd converged on the World War II Memorial on the National Mall, pushing through barriers Sunday morning to protest the memorial’s closing under the government shutdown.

Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas were among those who gathered Sunday morning, along with former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, according to WTOP radio. Cruz said President Obama is using veterans as pawns in the shutdown.

“Tear down these walls,” the crowd chanted. Protesters also sang God Bless Americaand other patriotic songs as they entered the memorial plaza.

[...]

Sunday’s rally was more political. A protest by truckers converged with a rally by a group called the Million Vet March at the World War II Memorial. Participants cut the links between metal barriers at the National Park Service site and pushed them aside.

They recited The Pledge Of Allegiance like the worst children ever, and sang patriotic songs at the same exact time they have forced The United States government to its knees. The most depressing aspect of this is that they are surrounded by the generation that defeated the Nazis. Might as well be a giant bonfire of books. Consider it the GOP’s plan for low-income heating. Winter’s on its way, so you’ll need to keep your hands warm.

But this is textbook Terrorism 101: Blend in among the crowd.

The crowned King and Queen of Wingnuttia are literally hiding behind our World War 2 veterans, insulating themselves with rows and rows of pawns. But in a growing list of ransom demands, Sen. Ted Cruz has demanded that the president stop using our vets as pawns!

They’re his pawns, damn it!

Shutting down The United States of America is the new patriotism, dontcha know?

This entry was posted in Republican Party, Sarah Palin, Wingnuts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nick L.

    They are just the worst people. There is such a difference in values between major segments of the country. It is a bit worrying. The America the republicans are fighting for is something I don’t even recognize, some kind of hellscape I could never want for myself or anyone I loved. I have to keep telling myself that these people actually represent a minority of Americans.

  • Nefercat

    Palin, that disgusting grifting parasite, gives tapeworms a bad name. My God, what a revolting pustule she is.

  • LTanya Spearman

    The Stupid & The Racists Party till fighting the Civil War:
    1) GoTbillies shutdown the govt.; and the Million Vet March response?
    Bring a Confederate flag to the POTUS’s home…
    http://pic.twitter.com/aegEo9bpAd
    2) Just when the Hillbillies couldn’t get any worse…
    http://pic.twitter.com/kTJ5pzFnRy
    3) More from the ‘impeach Obama’ Million Vet March. Hey, 7 is the new million.
    http://pic.twitter.com/zD4WjHn
    Thanks to ‘Daily Banter,’ ‘the Obama Diary,’ ‘politicususa’ and many others for keeping me from throwing my TV out the window..

    • LTanya Spearman
      • feloniousgrammar

        I could not believe Reagan was really re-elected. In the Air Force, I didn’t know anyone who thought he was something to write home about. In college I knew a lot of people and every person I knew despised him. So, I get how people cannot believe that a POTUS was elected; but the fact that W. was elected twice and wing-nuts have kind of forgotten that he existed and that they supported him, and that they don’t think that the spending issues we’re having right now are a result of two wars on a credit card and a financial collapse that happened while Bush was president is denial on a whole new level.

        • Nick L.

          And to think, Reagan was probably in the midst of full-blown alzheimer’s by the second half of his second term.

          There is a book by one of the founding members of the deltas. In it, he really expressed a lot of misgivings about all the dirty little wars Reagan had running.

  • muselet

    Vapidity positively radiates from those two, doesn’t it?

    –alopecia

    • Churchlady320

      Ted appears either to have gas pains or to have forgotten the words to the Pledge. He does not look happy to be there with real people. How he sacrifices to be placed in the company of such types.

      • muselet

        I was trying desperately to avoid suggesting that’s Ted Cruz’s “O” face …

        –alopecia, who is very sorry for the mental image you’re suffering right now

  • Churchlady320

    Oh goodie – they sanction the president’s selective enforcement of the law! So let him reinstate all the programs he thinks are important – and that we do – so we can begin feeding people, supplying care to those in need, and basically uplifting the needy the private sector has abandoned or refuses to help. They set the standard – the president can ignore their shutdown and re-open, well, everything.

  • zirgar

    Hey, why bother showing solidarity with and support of people who are going to suffer actual crippling hardships from this shutdown, like losing homes, having personal credit ratings trashed, etc., when you can glom onto and exploit a nice safe demographic to have a photo op with in order to easily convey your “concern” and “patriotism?” So, basically, what all of this is saying, is this: “Fuck the thousands who are really going to suffer, they can’t help me score cheap political points.”

  • gigiz

    ‘textbook Terrorism 101′ – perfect description!

    How did a supposedly non-political rally to honor veterans end up as a protest led by seditionist birther Larry Klayman and photobombed by Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, and Sarah Palin? I seriously doubt there were more than a few veterans among the 200 attendees.

    Is there an internet sleuth who can figure out who organized this event?

    http://1mvetmarch.wordpress.com/rally-points/rally-guidelines/

  • trgahan

    Couple things:

    A) what was the actual attendance at this thing? Current, MSM reports I’ve looked at seem unwilling to say, though there is no shortage of “I’m taking my country back!” yokel quotes. Seems we are indeed descending into being ruled by a minority.

    B) The Department of Interior and Pres. Obama authorized the reopening of parks and monuments on Thursday IF local state authorities paid for operation. I know D.C. is a special case, but Cruz (and his party) were literally the only ones responsible for the WWII monument being closed today.

    C) Truly the vision of attendees is American only works if it’s a government of wealthy white people, for wealthy white people, by wealthy white people (somehow it makes resentment filled working class white people happy). Until things are otherwise…they will burn it down….cause they love it so much, er something.

    D) Palin has the look of “I can’t believe how much money I’m going to make being here” .

  • D_C_Wilson

    Shorter version of Palin’s comments:

    “Look at me! Look at me! Why isn’t everyone looking at me?”

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Because if people looked at her, they might turn into stone.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I’m really starting to hate these people. Their aggressive stupidity and weapons-grade ignorance depresses the shit out of me.

      It depresses me too. It’s hard to tell just how prevalent they are with such shitty media coverage. Regardless of their numbers, which I do believe are limited, they still have tons of influence (thanks to the Republican money machine).

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Hopeless, useless, clueless. That best describes the likes of Cruz, Palin, and the rest of these right wing Republican asshats.

  • Craig Moffitt

    It was very noticeable in media coverage of this event that the waving of the confederate flag and the presence of Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz was absent. Then they made a big show of throwing the gates at the White House. Another fine display of ignorance and racism by these so called patriots.

  • feloniousgrammar

    They could easily scare up some members of the American Legion. They’re sappy in their support of war. Some people kept encouraging me to get help from them, but no thank you. It’s one think to believe in the common defense, and quite another to make a life-long cult of it. The DAV does a lot of valuable work for veterans without glorifying war and marinating in it.

    I think the right attracts veterans and soldiers who want to be revered as a warrior class that’s above the common people— especially the Christian Warriors that want to impose theocracy on the U.S.

    It bothered me during the Iraq War that the response of a lot of liberal on websites to anyone claiming they had “a child” in Iraq was to swoon and insist that that “child” is surely an honorable, noble, blah, blah, blah. Bullshit. I spent four years in the military, this made for TV movie about soldiers is a crock. There are rapists and murderers in the military. Putting a uniform does not confer impeccable character on anyone. And though WW II can pass muster as a Just War, there are likely many veterans of WW II that are assholes that you wouldn’t want at your dinner party. Being a veteran of a war, doesn’t give extra votes and shouldn’t be indulged beyond a respectful nod for their service. As soldiers, they’re just a cog in the wheel of a greater struggle.

    As usual, great piece, brink.

    However, and I really hate to do this, I don’t think “that they are surrounded by the generation that defeated the Nazis.” More like “those that fought to a standstill against the N. Koreans and ‘Chi-comms”, or “those that made it back from the slaughterhouse that was Vietnam.” WWII vets are almost all nonogenarians or older (the US joined the war in 1941, and you couldn’t sign up [officially] unless you were 16, so the youngest would be 88), and those maroons surrounding the Half-Gov and the FauxliBuster ain’t that old.

      ←can’t help being a pedant at times.

    • nathkatun7

      By the way, Bob, two of the members of the generation that defeated the Nazis were President Obama’s grandfather and President Obama’s great uncle! No matter how much denial these racists may be in, that’s a historical reality that they can never erase!

    • mrbrink

      Your pedantry is beloved. Beloved!

      Note to self: The World War II memorial are not people. =)

        BTW, this is the kind of thing my brain comes up with. Alas, I’m not a graphic artist, so my ‘Shop skills suck… but here ’tis….

          I mean, seriously. Doesn’t it look like he’s holding her to him and sniffing in that fine scent of grifter?

          • mrbrink

            Best Rom/Com ever! God, look at them. I’ve been trying not to laugh thinking about what sort of shit-kicker music they played during the colorless montage in their heads. Something that shits all over the solemness and dignity of the time and place. I can almost guarantee Sarah Palin has a country pop album somewhere in her carpet bag of nightmares just waiting for the day when she is certain that it’s all over. Adding, they could do a duet and people would die.

        • mrbrink

          That is brilliant!

    Palin is palling around with Terrorist Ted.