Shocker: Libertarians Are Mostly Young White Males

I didn’t insert “privileged” into the headline, but that’s more or less a given.

According to the Public Religion Research Institute, Libertarians are who we thought they were.

Compared to the general population, libertarians are significantly more likely to be non-Hispanic white, male, and young. Nearly all libertarians are non-Hispanic whites (94%), more than two-thirds (68%) are men, and more than 6-in-10 (62%) are under the age of 50.

In other not-shocking news, the survey also found that 45 percent of libertarians also identify as Republicans, while only 5 percent identify as Democrats. 39 percent identify as members of the Tea Party.

The institutes’s 2013 survey is full of interesting findings that you can read here.

This entry was posted in Poll and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lady Willpower

    SHOCKING.

  • feloniousgrammar

    I’m curious to know what percentage of them inherited a piece of land and what percentage expect to. Quite a few libertarians I’ve been acquainted with appear to have been terrified of having to pay taxes on that land or somehow having it taken away by the government.

  • gescove

    Knock me down with a feather!

  • Kitty Smith

    I will be using my Ben Stein voice to expres my surprise.

  • drspittle

    To quote Blanche on the Golden Girls, “I am stunned!”

  • trgahan

    Wow…they spent money actually confirming that?

    If they had asked, I am sure most would have said they became faux-libertarians in 2006 when people started making fun of them for being smarmy Bush supporters for the past 6 years. So they latched onto nearest white washed (pun intended) pseudo-social philosophy that gave a veneer of intellectual justification to continue being entitled selfish condescending assholes

  • muselet

    … more than 6-in-10 (62%) are under the age of 50.

    Makes sense, since The Fountainhead was published in 1943 and Atlas Shrugged in 1957. The current glibertarians are the first generation to be infected by Ayn Rand from an early age.

    –alopecia

    • feloniousgrammar

      little Timmy Galt: Mommy, read the part about the moochers and looters dying in a train crash, please.

      Timmy’s mother: You know that part makes you giddy. Sixty-four pages of John Galt’s speech always puts you to sleep, but don’t worry— I read the whole thing just in case there’s something to that subliminal thingywho.

      • muselet

        If only these bozos’ parents had bought them The Lord of the Rings instead.

          Could you imagine Rand’s version of LOTR? Saruman would have been the victor because he was so strong, so smart, so persuasive, etc, etc. Those lazy fat hobbits wouldn’t have lasted long in Rand’s universe.

          • D_C_Wilson

            And don’t get me started on those Ents. Bunch of friggin’ hippies upset over a little clear-cutting of the forest. So, Saruman chopped a few trees down to build his army. That’s called progress, commie!

        • mdblanche

          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year-old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”

      I’ve been told by former and current Libertarians that The Fountainhead was practically porn to them. I strongly advise people to never pick up a copy of the thing unless they have a good set of tongs or gloves. Come to think of it, that’s how I feel about Libertarians as well.

      • muselet

        “Holy crap, Frank! The meter is off the scale! We have to move the Ayn Rand books before the bullshit reaches critical mass!”

    Fetch me muh faintin’ couch an’ a pitcher o’ mint juleps!

  • mrbrink

    Libertarians: Conservative white men who are too embarrassed to admit they voted for Bush twice, but who still think they know better than everyone else, especially everyone else, and Building 7. They’re adorable, and I mean that in the most condescending way possible.

    • muselet

      They are special snowflakes, aren’t they?

        One of a kind, one of a cult.
        One of a kind, one of a cult…

      • Victor_the_Crab

        And as white as snowflakes too!

    • D_C_Wilson

      Libertarians: Conservatives who like to smoke pot.

  • i_a_c

    Shocking. The philosophy that gives white men the freedom to oppress everyone else is followed mostly by white men.

    This also confirms my theory that libertarians are also just Republicans who want to smoke pot.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Well, that is shocking to me. I thought the percentage of libertarians who were old white men was higher.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I’m shocked. Shocked that libertarians are mostly privileged young white males.

  • Churchlady320

    Confident and secure males don’t vote Libertarian.

  • Rita D. Lipshutz

    a libertarian ain’t nuthin’ but a republican with a bong