State Department: Shutdown Risks Extra Security House GOP Demanded

If the Republicans want to insert Benghazi into the debate concerning their government shutdown, perhaps we should discuss how their shutdown is jeopardizing the security improvements which they demanded after the attack.

During a press conference yesterday State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said that the shutdown is delaying the training of extra security agents and infrastructure upgrades at embassies across the globe.

“I want to underscore that these include some of the same enhancements recommended by the accountability review board that followed the Benghazi attack,” Harf said. “So I think for a Congress that’s never missed an opportunity to talk about embassy security, this is a result of its inability to do its job.”

She said U.S. embassies and consulates would remain open at existing protection levels. But security improvements could be delayed.

And she didn’t stop there. She also tore into Congress for compromising many other commitments.

“So again, for a Congress that talks about its commitment to Israel, here’s the impact of its inability to its job,” Harf said. “And for all the talk in Congress about keeping up the sanctions pressure in Iran, Treasury’s office of foreign asset control, OFAC as we refer to it, has furloughed nearly all of its staff.”

Again, why are we going through this? Because House Republicans don’t want you to have healthcare. And because Speaker of the House John Boehner is too afraid of his own caucus to pass a clean continuing resolution.

(The Hill)

This entry was posted in Benghazi, Congress, Security and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    Thing is, many of the same wingnuts who were out in front of the WW II memorial accusing the president of closing it just to be a dick are probably now rubbing their hands with glee over the prospect that these delays may result in another Benghazi-type attack. They’ll see it just as they see those four dead Americans: Another opportunity to attack the president.

    And because Speaker of the House John Boehner is too afraid of his own caucus to pass a clean continuing resolution.

    How sad is it that a continuing resolution is now considered the reasonable way for Congress to do its business instead of producing an actual budget?

    • gescove

      Sadder still to know that the CR funding level is the sequester baseline.

      • Zen Diesel

        …and I think it is only for six weeks which means if they press right up to Oct. 17th, we will be going through this shit again around the Xmas holiday.

    Oh, it’s worse than the vets….heard on public radio yesterday a female Tea Party House Member talking about how the Dems are refusing to fund medical research and that children waiting to participate in experimental studies through the NIH, so it’s the Dems fault. She did this with tears in her voice.

    Suffice it to say I yelled some choice things at the radio and imagined myself crawling through it and out the other side to bitch slap her in mid-speech. Hypocritical f*ckheads.

    • gescove

      The Tea Party Republican talking points on the shutdown disable my capacity for rational thought. Each day’s message is always delivered with their signature smirk and smarm. I’m at the point of only being able to yell “STFU!” at audio and video clips. ” Hypocritical f*ckheads” indeed.

      • feloniousgrammar

        Yes They are masters of the double bind— can’t win for losing.

    • Zen Diesel

      They are working overtime on BullShit Mountain to pin the shutdown on Obama and the democrats. I hear ole crazy eyes MoonBat Michelle want to start an investigation as to why the memorials had to be closed during the shutdown……WTF.

        Oh, please, please, please let’s do an investigation. If the Dems can control the narrative on it then it’s all win for us. Even if the Dems reject a hearing, because there’s no damn money for it (doh!), they can get mileage out of it anyway. I can hear it now….”We can’t even have an investigation into it because Bachmann and her Republican colleagues in the House shut down the government”. Just say that over and over and over again.

  • Zen Diesel

    The picture that Bob posted in an earlier post below pretty much sums up why things are so screwed up.