Tea Party Patriotism

USAUSA

Artist – Tim Eagan

The elder victim in the Maryville rape case, Daisy Coleman, wrote about her experience for xojane dot com. It presents a far more specific face in the case rather than an abstraction.

Warning: the story may contain multiple triggers or induce rage. This part, for example.

On Twitter and Facebook, I was called a skank and a liar and people encouraged me to kill myself. Twice, I did try to take my own life.

When I went to a dance competition I saw a girl there who was wearing a T-shirt she made. It read: “Matt 1, Daisy 0.”

Predictably, xojane was forced to close the comments. Because people are terrible.

Now if you could use a cheap laugh to bounce pack from that helping of depression, you can visit Deadspin. There’s no way that guy is sober.

This entry was posted in Open Thread, Sports and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • drspittle

    He pissed me off with his savaging of Cincinnati chili. Wah Wah. I was so made I had to get some Skyline today. But my anger over that pales in comparison what that young woman endured and the abuse still being heaped upon her. What the hell is wrong with people?

    • feloniousgrammar

      I read once that the juror most likely to find an alleged rapist guilty is a man with a daughter. Sad to say that women probably aren’t so much better than men as jurors in rape cases. In some women, it may be a sort of knocking on wood, in which a woman blames a rape on something the victim did that makes the woman who hasn’t been raped feel safe because she doesn’t engage in such behavior, style of dress, hours, etc. But I’d wager, that just as often, it’s little more than the haughty cattiness of getting to sit in judgement of another women the same way many women judge other women as worthy or not as women. Good things happen to good women. Bad things happen to bad women. Women get what they deserve. It’s a second-class way of thinking, but extremely competitive in a battle to win the approval of men and the rewards that go with it.

      I think that the disunity of women is a significant factor in the pathetic way that rape is not investigated and prosecuted like the violent crime it is. I’m not blaming any woman or girl for being raped, but as you may have seen in those comments many of the responses from women do blame the victim. There are women on juries that think the same way.

      • Nick L.

        Just so little compassion. So little empathy. So little sense. Woe betide those who wish such pain upon others.

        • drspittle

          Amen.

      • D_C_Wilson

        I’ve read similar accounts like that before. Men with daughters tend to want to protect the victim while professional women tend to find a reason to blame the victim to make themselves feel “safe.” I don’t know how much of that is based on any empirical evidence and not just anecdotal accounts. I take these accounts with a grain of salt at least until I see any real numbers to back them up. I don’t like the idea of discounting potential jurors just based on what
        some statistics might say, though. It just doesn’t sit right with me.

        • feloniousgrammar

          It’s the kind of thing that is likely to be behind a paywall. I don’t know how to link to a document that loads as pdf on a search

          What the Research About Rape Jurors Tells Us
          https://www.google.com/#q=women+jurors+AND+rape+cases+AND+study&start=30

          … jurors made their decisions based on the victim’s “character” and lifestyle even where there was proof of use of a weapon or victim injury. Jurors were less likely to believe in the defendant’s guilt when the victim reportedly drank or used drugs, was acquainted with the defendant, or engaged in sex outside marriage. LaFree wrote
          that the jurors disregarded the evidence and decided cases on the basis of their personal values. And these values were so rigid with respect to appropriate behavior for women that they even disbelieved women who held non-traditional jobs, for example, a woman drove a school bus.

          and

          Other jury research has found jurors preoccupied with the victim’s resistance. In the recent past, rape laws in every state called for utmost resistance, but that has been phased out of the law. Yet in the LaFree study of Indiana jurors, 32% believed that a woman’s resistance to her attacker is a critical factor in determining the rapist’s culpability and 59% believed a woman should do everything she can to repel her attacker.

          Rape mythology continues to portray rape a thing and not a practice that varies from rapist, to victim, to incident. If a woman is confronted by a rapist who is a psychopath, fighting back might enrage the rapist such that he would brutally punish her— torture and possibly disfigure her or kill her for challenging him. No one can say how a woman who is raped should have responded, unfortunately that includes women who have been raped. Insisting that women take responsibility for their rape is cruel and it contributes to the failure to adequately investigate, prosecute, and convict rapists.

          • D_C_Wilson

            That’s interesting and sad at the same time. Rape is one of the few crimes where the jury is judging the victim almost as much as they are judging the defendant. No one ever asks if a mugging victim did something to lead the mugger on or deserved it because they drank too much.

            Maybe murder is about the only other crime where the victim’s character is put on trial (see: Trayvon Martin), mainly because they can’t tell their side of the story any more.

          • feloniousgrammar

            That pdf also addresses higher conviction on longer sentences for black men convicted of raping white women, and the devaluation of black women as rape victims.