The 25 States That Are Getting In Between You And Any Doctor

When The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was signed into law by President Obama on March 23, 2010, it came with mandated Medicaid expansion to the states.

When the Roberts Court “upheld” the act just last year on June 28, 2013, they threw out the mandated Medicaid expansion portion of the bill, essentially rewriting the healthcare insurance reform law passed by Congress and signed into law by the duly-elected president on a voter mandate to do so.  The Supreme Court basically knocked A.C.A.’s teeth out and handed it a corn on the cob.

This was a sort of compromise that took place in the high court, where they took workable law and exposed its vulnerable neck to professional hangmen.

You just can’t rewrite a law of this magnitude– incapacitating an all-encompassing provision– and still demand the president provide a smooth transition to a fully-functioning law. Some of us were gasping at the time. I distinctly recall gasping.

That was a huge setback, not insurmountable, but a significant roadblock in the fog of poor media reporting and public understanding. And maybe the layperson really couldn’t appreciate the lies that were to come, the constant, repetitive slander that it’s a “train wreck!” and a “failure” and just execute it! before it even reached for its Bad Motherfucker.

These people could make a rubber plant cry with their constant derision and verbal abuse.

So, Republicans, despite plunging the country into chaos on the front and back ends of this presidency, wasting billions and billions of dollars almost overnight and putting innocent people in great distress, or a Duck & Cover economy, have made their rhetorical getaway through the debt ceiling and on to the roof to an awaiting chopper that was never needed. Bravo, media. Bravo, concern trolls. You are the Delta Force for Right wing terrorists. Collect your Medal of Apathy when you turn in your 3-D glasses.

As of October 22, these 25 states have decided to delay the inevitable, and take their time coming around while people go uninsured and led to believe it is Obamacare that caused this senseless lock-out and shitty website and the Regime’s death panels are real!

States had a lot of leeway under the law to determine their own healthcare insurance funding destinies, and could have alleviated the burden and the blame of the federal government. But that’s not how they chose to play. Oh, it’s a vicious game, now.

So, as a public service, for some perspective that it sorely lacking in the current public debate, here are the states that continue not to care whether you die unnecessarily in a pile of medical bills, and who have been forcing the government to scramble to adapt by order of appearance in Satan’s ledger:

Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. The Fuck-You States of America.

This entry was posted in Ethics, Far-right Intellectual Violence, Government Shutdown, Healthcare, Republican Party, Terrorism, Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    Interesting. Twenty out of these twenty-five states receive more federal dollars than they pay

    Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
    Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming

    • feloniousgrammar

      Alaska and Florida have the third and fourth highest rates of uninsured, respectively.

      Of the states that are rejecting the exchange who pay more in federal dollars than they get, Texas has the highest number of uninsured and Georgia comes in at fifth.

      • dbtheonly

        Given all the talk in Texas about secession; I’d like to see President Obama & Sec. Hegel close down all the military bases in the state & pull all the US weapons out of the arsenals. Remember ’61.

        • feloniousgrammar

          61?

          I’d love to see that, too. A lot of little towns in Texas would find themselves yet more poor. If they understood how economics and the government worked, then they’d understand that the military bases aren’t there because they’re such patriotic little towns, it’s because it’s cheap real estate, because they don’t have an economy strong enough to drive up their property value.

          • dbtheonly

            As it became apparent to all that the slavery issue was not going to be settled peacefully; Sec. War (Defense today) in the Buchanan Admin. began moving weapons into the Federal Arsenals in those states which might reasonably be expected to secede. The war came & he became a Confederate general. he fled Fort Donaldson just before the surrender for fear (not unreasonable) that he’d be hung as a traitor if captured.

          • feloniousgrammar

            Ah.

  • muselet

    Under ordinary circumstances, I would quarrel with you about the role of the Supreme Court (which is supposed to ignore the popularity of a law in its deliberations). The Roberts Court, though, has so clearly chosen an ideological approach to its role that these are not ordinary circumstances.

    Even more infuriating (to me, at least, safely ensconced in California) is the media reaction to those 25 states’ lack of interest in their citizens’ health and welfare: nothing. Not even crickets, just utter silence. Oh, they’ll spend endless hours and column-inches berating the administration for website glitches that make people spend time waiting on the (federal) site—oh, the horror!—but that’s about all. What would it be like to have a functioning news media?

    “The Fuck-You States of America.” Says it all, right there.

      You’re a beautiful quarreler and I’m better for it.

    • drspittle

      I don’t think it’s conincidence that the media are following a script, which includes not reporting pesky facts or providing (God forbid) context. And I wish I could like your comment about 20 tiimes.

    • dbtheonly

      The Roberts Court is not alone in its ideological approach. But it’s been a while since its been done so often & effectively.

      My +1 for asking what’s to be gained by denying health care insurance to the citizens of those states.

    • nathkatun7

      Thank you for highlighting the complicit role played by the media in keeping citizens ignorant about the benefits of ACA, and the GOP’s lies about it. As far as I am concerned, the U.S. media have, for the most part, morphed into sensational tabloids! Ever since a handful corporations took over most of the media, and especially the electronic media, real journalism in U.S. media died.

    Maine said no so vehemently that they must be listed twice. :)

    • mrbrink

      I almost did. I shit you not, kind Sir.

      • nathkatun7

        Mrbrink, How come New Jersey is not on the list? Did Christie agree to set up exchanges and expand Medicaid? I think there are 26 states not 25 if you include New Jersey. But then again, I may be wrong.

  • drspittle

    Mr. Brink, once again I bow to touch the hem of your keyboard and be healed. (Huh?) Righteous rant that nails the truth as always.

    • mrbrink

      Sometimes my keyboard gets a little carried away. Humbly, humbly. Thank you, drspittle.

      • drspittle

        Au contrarire, your keyboard can never get too carried away. You are welcome indeed!

  • desertflower1

    Boy..Maine must REALLY suck! It’s on the list twice…who’s not fessing up to screwing their state’s citizens??

  • Badgerite

    Yeah. Our state motto used to be “Forward”. Now it is “FY”. I’m so proud.

  • D_C_Wilson

    We have a little over a year before we can toss Corbett out on his ass. As of the latest polling data, only 17% of PA voters think he deserves a second term. Once he’s out of the picture, we can turn things around and make PA blue again.

    • SEPA_Q

      Let it be so. PLEASE! I’m embarrassed that Pennsylvania is in the company of most of the old Confederacy.

  • nathkatun7

    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t New Jersey one the states that refused to set up a state exchange as well as expand Medicaid to cover the working poor? If this is the case, why are some Democrats supporting Chris Christie?

      I THINK Gov. Christie decided at the 11th hour to expand Medicaid in NJ, so they’re in. Thank goodness. Of course, the Teahadists will call him a RINO as a result….but who cares.

    • mrbrink

      Yeah, their status is “moving forward at this time.” I have no f-ing idea why any Democrats would support Chris Christie other than being shitty politician worshipers and misogynists.

  • Shelly Tate

    When did we vote for a mandate? Oh, I forgot. Right after Obama said a mandate wasn’t the answer in his election campaign and basically promised not to put a mandate in his bill. Yeah. That’s when we voted for it. I remember that now!

    • mrbrink

      When did you vote for a mandate for Medicare? Or Social Security? Or, didn’t you notice that millions of people have been lifted out of poverty and sickness because of the taxes you pay into the programs?

      Were you born yesterday, or 2009?

      • Shelly Tate

        I noticed those programs are perpetually in dire need of more of other people’s money. Stop having babies when you’re dirt poor and there will be fewer people living in poverty to begin with.

        Nice attempt at a dodge by the way. But it was a fail because you can’t deny the man just plain lied.

        • mrbrink

          It’s a matter of perspective, really. Why has the free market failed to find a model that alleviates the burden of the government providing a safety net for Americans? Oh, that’s right, because they’re too busy stealing all the wealth in the world, playing God with insurance policies and running off with peoples’ retirement and pensions.

          Tell people to stop having babies? Are you a NAZI?

          We’re the wealthiest nation in history. There’s no reason for you to be so ignorant of this fact. The free market is telling you not to have babies because they do not intend to pay you enough to support them.

          Everybody who voted for Obama in 2008 wanted the uninsured to have a regulated healthcare insurance market not trying to kill them so Stephen J. Hemsley could buy another rube like you.