The Grassroots

By taking in $15 million dollars in 2012, FreedomWorks had their best fundraising year ever, and they had a lot of help from average people four individuals.

The numbers come from an annual tax report FreedomWorks filed earlier this year. The document shows that the four unnamed contributors donated at least $1 million each, including one who gave nearly $4.9 million.

According to The Center for Public Integrity, 106 unnamed donors gave the FreedomWorks at least $5,000 each in 2012.

FreedomWorks’ influence on capital hill shouldn’t be overstated, but there are a not-insignificant number of congressmen and women whose votes are influenced by the organization. An organization primarily funded by just four wealthy individuals.

This entry was posted in Congress, Republican Party and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    I’d like to know how much of that $15 million will actually go to direct lobbying and how much creatively syphoned off in “consulting fees,” expense accounts, etc. Seems like there is a whole new industry dedicated to separating money from entitled, conservative Billionaires who suddenly decide they want to play king maker (probably a much needed break from all the job creating and harder work they do).

    Definitely one of the greatest threats to democracy is when too few become too wealthy.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Makes me want to set up one of these lobbying groups. I’d take their money and donate 3/4 of it to groups fighting global warming and pocket the rest as “expenses.”

  • Badgerite

    The Guilded Age is back.