The RNC Wants You To Vote (On The Wrong Day)

The RNC tweeted today encouraging residents of New Jersey to vote in the special election. The problem is they told people to vote on the wrong day.

RNCDerp

Shortly after the entire internet pointed out their error, they issued a new tweet.

I can only speculate what lead to this error.

This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “I can only speculate what lead to this error.”

    Well, I speculate that they thought this was going out to whatever Democratic twitter addresses they had harvested. I’m sorry, perhaps I am too cynical?

    • West_of_the_Cascades

      Probably, in this instance, you are … elections are normally on
      Tuesdays, someone just screwed up that first post (they are Republicans, after all). I don’t use Twitter, but my understanding is that you don’t “harvest” “twitter addresses” – people sign up to follow your address, or they can look something up on Twitter — but basically there’s no way this could have been “targeted” to unwitting Democratic voters. Don’t look for conspiracies where incompetence is an adequate explanation.

      • Treading_Water

        Twitter followers are regularly harvested and sold as commodities.

        http://www.gettwitterfollowers.com/

        from this link, 100k twitter followers will cost about 199.00. And, if twitter followers can be bought and sold, then some marketing company can target specific demographics. Not saying that this is the case here, simple incompetence is a much easier explanation.

        ETA. On the other hand, this is not the first time this has happened, and some of the previous attempts were an active attempt to subvert an election.

  • Lady Willpower

    It was an honest mistake!
    *snort*

  • Pink No More

    They put the wrong day on the Twitter post – because it’s all librulz, you know – but put the right one on their own little shithole, Twitchy.

    (Note: I have not investigated this because fuck the RWNJ-o-sphere)

  • Christopher Foxx

    I lean toward chalking this one up to incompetence rather than nefarious intent. If they wanted folks to miss the election, they’d have tweeted that it was being held on Thursday, the day after it’s actually scheduled for, rather then Tuesday.

    Folks try to vote on Tuesday will get told to come back tomorrow and could still vote. Folks trying to vote on Thursday will get told they missed it.

    (Of course, there could have been nefarious intent behind it, and they just did it wrong. Incompetence on display either way.)