They’re Back

With a riff on Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” line, Maine Governor Paul LePage stunned a private audience last week with the revelation that nearly half of the people in his state don’t work.

Not that it needs to be said, but this is clearly a fantasy that LePage pulled straight out of his ass.

In reality, 65 percent of “able-bodied” residents are currently working.

Furthermore, if it was true that 47 percent of residents in his state don’t work, that wouldn’t speak very highly of the good governor. That would mean a significant number of his constituents can’t find jobs.

Of course we know that’s not the message he intended to send or what he was implying.

This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Razor

    65% still seems low… but it is Maine, how many people can fit on those Deadliest Catch boats?

    • kushiro -

      A lot of people are pretty busy dealing with rabid dogs, aliens, zombie pets, vampires, killer clowns and Sudden Dome Syndrome.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    How can people who hate their constituents this much still get elected?

      They’re all sinners and they need someone to guide them down the paths of righteousness/prosperity. Or some such drivel….

    • JozefAL

      Well, it helps to run in a state that does NOT actually require a 50% + 1 majority to win an election. Maine’s electoral process allows the candidate with the most votes–even if it’s just a plurality–to win. And that’s how LePage won. There were 5 candidates in the 2010 Governor’s race: LePage (R); Libby Mitchell (D); and 3 Independent candidates, Eliot Cutler, Shawn Moody and Kevin Scott. LePage received just 38.33%, Cutler earned 36.49%, Mitchell got just over 19% and Moody and Scott combined for 6%. But, since Maine has this screwy system, LePage won the race. (Most other states don’t really have multiple candidates running–at least none that would pick up enough votes to really challenge the Dems or GOPers–so they operate under the 50% + 1 majority wins; if no one does manage to attain the needed majority, the states will have a run-off between the top 2 vote getters. In most of the country this rarely happens, but it does happen in Louisiana in several races because the state generally lets anyone run for office, regardless of party affiliation, provided they qualify; the primary system in use in most other states isn’t common in Louisiana so it’s possible that you’ll have 8 candidates running for office–3 registered Dems and 5 registered GOPers–and no one wins an absolute majority. The top 2 then run, but they could both be Dems or both be GOPers or one Dem and one GOPer.)

      Also, I believe Maine uses the same system for its party primaries–whoever wins the most votes (whether it’s 50% + 1 or just 37% in a field of 7) is declared the winner.

  • kushiro -

    According to the 2012 census:

    20% under age 18
    17% over age 65
    8% unemployment

    Add in some disability/welfare and margin of error and he’s right.

    • D_C_Wilson

      So, the elderly and disabled now count as being “able bodied”?

      • kushiro -

        I’m pretty sure it’s a rightwing article of faith that everyone on disability is faking it.

        Before anybody decides to waste time responding to my dumb comment, it was just a gag about how you could add up everyone who’s technically not working and arrive at 47%.

        • feloniousgrammar

          Poe’s Law.

  • Nefercat

    “About 47 percent of able-bodied people in the state of Maine don’t work,” LePage said in front of an audience of conservative women last week. “About 47 percent. It’s really bad.”
    “One in three are collecting welfare,” he went on. “Highest in the country.”

    That’s some interesting math there, LePage.

  • Lady Willpower

    I didn’t realize Maine was 47% brown people. That’s what he mean, right?

  • DetroitSam

    I’m still waiting for someone to explain how and why people like this clown get elected.