This Could Be a Problem

Dont-mess-with-Texas

If the state attorney general is forced to sign an affidavit to vote because the name on his driver’s license doesn’t match his name on the voter rolls, that may be a sign that your voter ID law was ill-advised.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott (R) will have to sign an affidavit in order to vote thanks to Texas’ new voter identification law. [...]

Abbott will have to sign an affidavit, his spokesman told The San Antonio Express-News, because the name on Abbott’s driver’s license is Gregory Wayne Abbott while his name on the voter registration list is just Greg Abbott.

Whether or not this is considered a feature or a bug probably depends on who’s trying to cast a vote.

This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    This is what happens when you pass laws to solve nonexistent problems, or to prevent anyone and everyone from doing what maybe two or three people might actually try to do. You realize fairly quickly that laws are not, and cannot be, targeted at discrete individuals or even discrete categories of people.

    The biggest mistake right-wing Tea Party™ types make is that they take the law personally, in both directions. They think (or to be more precise, feel) that laws they don’t like are directed purposefully at them, and laws they do like are meant to affect only the people they resent.

      Because this country only belongs to “them”. The rest of us pesky “others” are interlopers.

    • Christopher Foxx

      This is what happens when you pass laws to solve nonexistent problems, or to prevent anyone and everyone from doing what maybe two or three people might actually try to do.

      Nonexistent? On the contrary, Voter ID laws are passed to solve a very real and major problem: too many people want to vote for Democrats.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Touché.

    Schadenfreude, schadenfreude, oh how I love thee

  • Badgerite

    Here is the great state of Wisconsin you can no longer go to the DMV and get your drivers license issued that day. It takes about three weeks for them to mail it too you. This has to do, I’m sure, with Scott Walker’s new voter ID laws. They probably have to pay somebody to determine that you are who you are and you live where you live because otherwise you might be one of the two people who tried to vote illegally at some previous election. What a good use of taxpayer monies.

  • missliberties

    So there is a high probability that a lot of good old freedom loving Texas folks, cowboys, cowgirls, hillbillies and old white people might have a tough time voting in Texas.

    The good news is what an absolute glaring and undeniable spotlight this puts on the true intent of these voters ID laws. You maybe vote, but only if you are a white male Republican? Yeah that sounds fair.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Whether or not this is considered a feature or a bug probably depends on who’s trying to cast a vote.

    Oh, that’s easy. If your name is Greg Abbott it’s a bug, and should be done away with. It’s a feature if your name is Raul Martinez or Jamal Trevon Washington, and you should be done away with.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Yeah. There are a ridiculous lot of small towns in Texas. Who are disenfranchised voters supposed to call when they’re not allowed to vote, and who would be there to make sure the people working the polls didn’t just throw away their vote? Texas seriously needs international teams monitoring their elections.

    • JMAshby

      That was the intended implication.

  • drspittle

    I didn’t have to show my driver’s license when I voted in Cincinnati’s mayoral election yesterday and I was surprised because I thought Ohio had a Voter ID law.

    • Badgerite

      Probably on hold due to court challenges.

    • JMAshby

      The law hasn’t been passed yet, is facing hurdles.

      However, I had to show mine when I voted for the president last November in Montgomery county (south Dayton), but that may have been because I was new.

      • drspittle

        Duh. Thank you! I can’t keep track of all the proposed outrageous legislation and court challenges in this state. I blame Obama.

  • mr spork

    Tennessee has a picture ID voter law. My first name is spelled differently on my voter registration card than on my drivers license. Either spelling is correct, I just spell it the way that’s on my license. When I voted in 2012, the person at the voting location compared the two and didn’t say anything to me about the difference. Probably didn’t notice it. Unless I have to, I’m not going to correct it because I don’t want to go through a possible rigmarole.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Every state should go to mail-in ballots. In Oregon they also send out voter information guides with a bio on each candidate and commentary from various groups on different issues and endorsements. It’s great to sit down with both AND internet access to mull over all the decisions and you have plenty of time to do it. I love it.

      For people who moved to another precinct without re-registering, they can still go to polls in their old precinct. It works great. The only problem I’ve had is my signatures not matching, but haven’t had that problem since.