What’s the Next GOP Hostage? Birth Control.

Via LGF, here’s a preview of what kind of hostage the tea party might take the next time the House has to pass a continuing resolution. Yes, it’s birth control.

Conservative House members expressed a desire Tuesday to fund the government only until Dec. 15 in order to force a fight over ObamaCare’s birth control mandate.

Members of the House GOP discussed a proposal that would reopen the government through mid-December, just weeks before a provision of the mandate takes effect on Jan. 1 for religiously affiliated groups.

Republicans seemed adrift after canceling a vote on a debt-limit plan Tuesday night.

But members of the party signaled concerns about letting the Jan. 1 date pass without waging a battle over contraception.

“It boils down to conscience protections that basically become compromised on the first of January, and that’s bothersome to a lot of people,” Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.) told reporters Tuesday afternoon.

(ht Virginia Attorney Steve Duckett)
This entry was posted in Government Shutdown, Healthcare and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    In my religion, it’s an abomination that all these men haven’t been properly castrated.

      “haven’t been properly castrated with a dull rusty razor

      FTFY :)

      • feloniousgrammar

        Yeah! Then make them watch while we toss it into a wood-chipper and explain to them why it’s better to err by throwing one female in a cage with males, than one male in a cage with females when weening mice.

          Amen!

  • trgahan

    Yes, please do this Republicans!

    Given that their ranting against access to birth control has done wonders for their polling numbers among all demographic levels, except for a small minority of misogynist religious fundamentalists. Nothing like tossing everyone right back out on the streets before Christmas in an attempt to return the U.S. to pre-1961 because, you know, Jesus talked so much about this very issue!

    Example #137642 that the Tea Party is really the just the rebranded Christian Coalition of the 1980’s and 1990’s.

    • D_C_Wilson

      They’re more a weird hybrid of the Falwell’s Moral Majority and the John Birch Society.

  • Vic78

    I’m really hoping for a fight over birth control. The late night guys could use the material. They can ask SE Cupp “why are you hanging with people that are against birth control?”

    • Victor_the_Crab

      You might as well ask SE Cupp to explain quantum physics, because you’d get the same stupid, open mouthed expression from her.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Can somebody explain to me how Sippy Cupp got a job as a TV pundit? I’ve watched her a number of times try to formulate an intelligent argument and have never been impressed.

        • Vic78

          She has nice legs.

        • feloniousgrammar

          She was among the “hottest Republican women” during the Democratic Primary when Hillary was in the running. Remember? Republican men and women (like that foul corpse Coulter) found it necessary to reduce Democratic women to “fat and ugly” and Republican woman as all starbursty and wearing the sexy librarian outfit with glasses that make them look smart.

  • Morey Hamstercram

    Something tells me they’ll be taking away all sharp objects and loaded weapons from the Tea Party. Probably won’t be much hostage-taking before 2014.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Having not slept last night, primitive feelings have taken over me— will I jinx it if I like your comment and dare to be so rosy? I’d like them all to have a nice cup of STF— rat poison.

  • i_a_c

    It’s kinda funny that they just can’t help themselves but take aim at birth control. And when they do, just like last time, they’re going to run their mouths about legitimate rape and aspirin between the knees, etc., etc. It’s just another instance of the GOP shooting itself in the foot all by themselves without the help of Obama or anyone else. It’s not going to help the GOP gain ground on the 55% of women who voted for the president. It will cement the image of a party that’s stuck in the 1950s with regard to race, gender, and society.

  • RilesSD

    If the house can sneak in that rule where only the speaker can bring up a vote on the CR (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/13/house-republicans-rules-change_n_4095129.html), then it would be lovely if the Senate or Obama can sneak one in that says that the debt ceiling is automatically raised (or something to that effect).

    Just so we don’t have to go through this fucking shit again.

  • Lazarus Durden

    To paraphrase the President they never wanna bring up, George W. Bush:

    “Bring ‘em on.” You wanna have another fight with the Democrats? Over Birth Control? Bring it. We’ll be here to kick your ass again.

    It’s bad enough they’ve had my financial well being hostage, now they want to hold my uterus too! FFS