Worst Persons in the World

This is completely wrong, unnecessary, irresponsible, and cruel.

Conservative media has been quite exercised this week by a story about a transgender student at Florence High School in Colorado allegedly harassing girls in the locker room. The Pacific Justice Institute, a California-based anti-LGBT group, spurred the media focus by sending a letter to the school demanding accommodation for the supposed victims. Cristan Williams at The TransAdvocate debunked the story by speaking directly with Superintendent Rhonda Vendetti, who explained that no harassment took place — a few parents just don’t like that a transgender student is being allowed to use the locker room of the gender with which she identifies. Now, PJI has basically admitted they invented the story because they’re just transphobic.

Transgender persons are already under a tremendous amount of stress and scrutiny and are often victims of hate crimes and discrimination. Making up wild stories about them and potentially provoking reprisal attacks or reactionary legislation is a horrible thing to do.

I’d call it criminal.

Pacific Justice Institute my ass.

This entry was posted in LGBT, Worst Persons and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Teddy’s Person

    The right has perfected the practice of naming things (PACs, think tanks, legislation, etc…) with words that mean the exact opposite of what that thing actually does and/or stands for.

  • Maike Hudson

    Note that they refer to the teenager in question as “self-proclaimed” transgendered person. The implication is that a boy declared himself transgender so he could have access to the girls’ locker room and see his female classmates in their underwear.

    • Pink No More

      They’ve admitted they’d do that if they could. Because Repubs are creepers in addition to idiots.

  • Robert Scalzi

    I have been calling this supposed group of “legal” scholars what they really are for over 15 yrs – the Pacific INjustice institute, they have been on the wrong side of every issue that has existed since I became aware of their bigotry 15 yrs ago-

  • muselet

    Once again, we are treated to the unedifying spectacle of God-bothering bullies trying to enforce an unrealistic and unattainable conformity. And once again, we find those God botherers have but a glancing familiarity with facts.

    Isn’t there some sort of rule in those people’s religion against—oh, let’s be a little poetic here—bearing false witness?

    Worst persons, indeed.

      Isn’t there some sort of rule in those people’s religion against…bearing false witness?

      Well, if they were actually practicing true Christianity, yes one would. However, I’ve noticed that more and more “Christianists” (what I like to call the evangelical nuts, the hypocritical Catholics and their Mormon cousins) think telling a lie in order to serve the Lord’s interests is a-okay with Jeebus.