Another GOP Governor Refuses Healthcare for Thousands

SeanParnell

Alaska Governor Sean Parnell (R) has announced that he will not allow the expansion of Medicaid.

Alaska Gov. Sean Parnell (R) on Friday announced that his state would not expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act for up to 40,000 low-income Alaskans who would be eligible, calling the law a “failed experiment.”

“Many of those pieces are failing,” he said of the law at a press conference, according to the Anchorage Daily News. “Can states trust the federal government to not cut and run on its share?”

Strangely enough, this “failed experiment” has allowed hundreds of thousands of people to sign up for Medicaid in other states with hundreds of thousands more poised to be covered. Millions more could be covered if men like Sean Parnell or Rick Perry would simply allow their constituents to participate in an expansion that has already been paid for. An expansion that won’t cost them anything for the first two years and very little thereafter.

The federal government isn’t going to cut and run. It’s the law, and it isn’t going anywhere.

You could read this another way and get the idea that Sean Parnell still believes Republicans can successfully repeal the law. It’s a unicorn they’ve been chasing for years.

(photo via Juneau Empire)

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Jon Fox

    Even funnier considering how Alaska gets the most federal largess per capita in the nation.

  • muselet

    Alaska Gov. Sean Parnell (R) on Friday announced that his state would not expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act for up to 40,000 low-income Alaskans who would be eligible, calling the law a “failed experiment.”

    A law that hasn’t fully taken effect is a failure? I guess that means he thinks all those anti-abortion laws that have been passed but not yet enacted are also failures and should be abandoned, right?

    “Many of those pieces are failing,” he said of the law at a press conference, according to the Anchorage Daily News.

    “Many,” huh? Name three. Take your time, I’ll wait.

    “Can states trust the federal government to not cut and run on its share?”

    Yes. Provided, that is, the Rs don’t get back into power in DC.

    The question I have is: Is Sean Parnell doing this because he has ambitions beyond state office, because he’s terrified that he’ll get recalled/primaried/not reelected/run out of town on a rail/whatever by the local TPers, or because he’s just a minor-league sadist? (Yes, it’s a combination of all three, plus a noteworthy lack of nous, but what are the percentages?)

    Not for the first time, I’m glad I don’t live in Alaska.

    Yes, that’s right. Republican governors are preventing 5 million Americans across the country from attaining healthcare in their 25 respective states– militantly attacking the country’s mental health, environment, rule of law, and financial well-being from within to do it — but it’s the Affordable Care Act that’s dishonorable and trying to hurt people.

    It’s one giant leap in logic for the most unassuming monsters in America toward their shrieking demise.

    Good luck with those concerns about those decimals in your Republican death-math calculations come reelection time, Governoes.

  • lahru

    Obamacare will haunt the republican party for decades. Their resistance to it will provide them political benefits for an undetermined amount of time, but in the long run, they will regret being against it. I always say, it’s not whose right but what is right.

    • Vipsanius

      I expect that you are right, over the long term.
      But, the GOP sees real short term benefits.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “Many of those pieces are failing,” he said of the law, at a press conference

    And not a single reporter at the press challenged him on that lie. What we’ve come to expect from today’s journalists transcriptionists.

    • Vipsanius

      If they called him on it, they would lose access.

      • Christopher Foxx

        And then they might actually have to, you know, work to get their stories.

        • Vipsanius

          Heaven forfend!!