Colbert on Richard Cohen

Here’s Colbert on Washington Post columnist and homeless Colonel Sanders Richard Cohen.

Okay, Richard Cohen has known slavery was bad for at least seven days.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed.

This entry was posted in Comedy, Racism, Stephen Colbert and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Should I mention that if Richard Cohen isn’t a racist, I don’t know what he is. Maybe just a really bad writer.

      Richard Cohen reflecting on his thoughts about slavery:

      “I sometimes think I have spent years unlearning what I learned earlier in my life… slavery was not a benign institution in which mostly benevolent whites owned innocent and grateful blacks.”

      Stephen Colbert: “Okay? Richard Cohen has known that slavery was bad for at least seven days.”

      • Churchlady320

        There is absolutely nothing to say.

      • muselet

        Yeah, that’s a bit of a puzzler, isn’t it?

        I mean, he was born in New York City, he went to college—undergrad and Master’s—in the 1960s in New York City, and he doesn’t seem ever to have worked south of Maryland. No segregation academies in his background, in other words, at least not obviously so.

        So where in hell did he learn that slavery was a benign institution? Did he grow up thinking The Littlest Rebel was a documentary? Is he just thick?

        Given his earlier columns, including the ones that have caused the Washington Post to apologize for him, I’m going with a combination of thick and, well, I’m not sure what.

        Josh Marshall doesn’t think Cohen simply suffers from Chronic Racial Grandpa-ism, but stops shy of calling him a racist. I’ll buy it, even though Cohen’s take on racial relations makes my skin crawl.

        What I am sure of is that Richard Cohen needs to be pensioned off. Maybe a few years of gardening would do something good for his soul.

        –alopecia