Fun and Games

A group of future sociopathic leaders (young conservatives) at the University of Texas are apparently holding a game this week where students will hunt for fake illegal immigrants.

Here’s a screencap from their Facebook page just in case it’s deleted.

ImmigrantGame

The goal of the event is to “spark a campus-wide discussion about the issue of illegal immigration, and how it affects our everyday lives.” Ironic given that actual immigrants don’t wear stigmatizing labels or scarlet letters and may otherwise go unnoticed by these “young conservatives” who are very concerned.

Students who win the game will be just as qualified to talk about immigration as Iowa congressman and secret border control agent Steve King.

According to the state Democratic party, the person organizing this event is a field representative for Attorney General Greg Abbott who is running for governor against Wendy Davis.

This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Want to experience brain pain? Mention to one of these people that illegal immigration is not, in fact, a crime. Watch them indignantly protest that if it’s “illegal” that means it’s a crime. Name five things that are illegal that are not crimes. Watch heads explode.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I’d like to watch ‘em explode, but am not getting the distinction between “illegal” and “a crime”. Care to elaborate so I can pull this argument out the next time I get into a discussion with anti-immigration folks?

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Running a stop sign is illegal. It’s not a crime.
        Parking in a loading zone is illegal. It’s not a crime.
        Firing an employee on the basis of race is illegal. It’s not a crime.
        Patent infringement is illegal. It’s not a crime.
        Building an in-ground pool without a permit is illegal. It’s not a crime.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Thanks for the examples, Graf. Still missing the distinction, though. By my understanding, something “illegal” is something forbidden by law, and a “crime” is an act punishable by law. Seem to go together to me.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            All crimes are illegal acts, but not all illegal acts are crimes. “Crime” refers to a particular type and category of illegal acts. Other categories include violations (e.g., parking and traffic), misdemeanors, and all manner of civil (i.e., non-criminal) wrongs, such as torts, breach of contract, and whatever else you can be sued, but not prosecuted, for.

            A crime is an unlawful act, defined by the legislature (i.e., by statute), committed against both the victim and against society as a whole, with a criminal state of mind (typically either intent, knowledge, recklessness or gross negligence). Plenty of acts, and omissions, are illegal; what distinguishes crimes from things that are illegal but not crimes is (1) the nature of the act vis-à-vis the magnitude of social harm its commission (in general) causes, and (2) the mens rea, viz., state-of-mind requirement.

          • trgahan

            So where does encouraging “illegal” immigrants to flock across the border so you can make billions off cheap labor while simultaneously demonizing them for political points and to prevent them for getting any legal protections that cut into your bottom line fall on the spectrum?

          • GrafZeppelin127

            I don’t think that’s against the law.

          • Christopher Foxx

            OK. Thanks.

  • Lazarus Durden

    Fuck the Young Conservatives. I dealt with these assholes when I was in school. Everything has to be “balanced”. Any event we had to invite the College Republicans and they would either 1) be so disinterested they couldn’t be bothered which was a blessing. or 2) demand we curtail the event to their specifications. It was a constant fight, and if they wanted to have a debate they’d change shit at the last minute, or hand you their questions five minutes before.

    Fuck ‘em. Fuck ‘em all.

    Why the fuck wouldn’t they sponsor a debate with the college Dems? Hold a forum inviting several different college organizations that have something to contribute to the conversation? There’s a million different, non-offensive ways to go about this “conversation starter”. Instead they pick one of the most offensive methods possible. Why do they have to be such assholes about it? Typical conservative behavior. They have no empathy or understanding of how things might appear to others because they are only capable of seeing things from one perspective–their own.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Because they don’t want to start a conversation. That implies both side talk. Which is the last thing they want.

  • Ipecac

    What, didn’t anyone tell them that yellow Stars of David are available?

  • Treading_Water

    Greg Abbot is the a-hole who dug a private well so that he could continue to water his lawn during this record drought in Texas. Just more of the “I got mine, fuck the rest of y’all” attitude that makes one a leading Republican candidate.

    • Christopher Foxx

      OK, I’m going to take heat for this, but what’s wrong with him digging a private well? Presumably it’s on his own land, and nothing prevents others from doing the same.

      Or is it that the water he’d draw would be from a common aquifer which extends beyond his property, something like that?

      • Treading_Water

        Exactly, all the water comes from the same aquifer, which is at record lows. Just because he can drill down to it, doesn’t mean he has more right to it than the rest of us.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Fair enough. It’s kinda a dick move to try to grab more than your share of a communal resource, espacially when the resource is already scarce and you’re using it for non-essential purposees (watering his lawn).

          That said, seems to me others would have a right to drill down into it as well. And if they didn’t, then getting on Abbot’s case because he did something that they chose not to do (assuming he broke no laws doing it) is akin to the grasshopper complaining that the ants bothered to store food for the winter.

          • muselet

            According to the internets, which know all, a well costs between $40 and $100 per foot to drill, depending on size and geology. Add to that a few hundred dollars for a well cover, $50–100 per hour to develop the well (basically cleaning grit out the casing), and several hundred dollars to set up the drilling equipment on the site and to break it down after the job is done. Plus the cost of permits and inspections (yes, even in Texas).

            Given drought conditions and an already-depleted water table, drilling a new well or extending an existing well is a terribly expensive undertaking. Saying Greg Abbott’s neighbors should simply have drilled their own wells isn’t necessarily a reasonable response.

            Saying Greg Abbott’s neighbors should simply have drilled their own wells isn’t necessarily a reasonable response.

            Then I’m glad that wasn’t actually what I said.

            Abbot’s a selfish dick, clearly. Which I did say.

          • muselet

            That said, seems to me others would have a right to drill down into it as well. And if they didn’t, then getting on Abbot’s case because he did something that they chose not to do (assuming he broke no laws doing it) is akin to the grasshopper complaining that the ants bothered to store food for the winter.

            I misinterpreted, apparently. Apologies.

            No worries.

  • muselet

    The purpose of this event is to spark a campus-wide discussion about the issue of illegal immigration, and how it affects our everyday lives.

    Uh-huh. Sure it is.

    –alopecia