[Updated] Halperin Trolls for Book Sales With Death Panel Lie

Sales of Mark Halperin’s horribly-titled book Double Down: Game Change must not be as high as he wishes they were. That’s the only reason I can come up with for why he would say something this certifiably stupid.

via TPM

In an interview on Monday with the conservative Newsmax, Time’s Mark Halperin said that so-called “death panels” are enshrined in the Affordable Care Act. [...]

“So, you believe there will be rationing, a.k.a ‘death panels’?” host Steve Malzberg asked Halperin, the co-author of the 2012 election chronicle “Double Down.”

“It’s built into the plan. It’s not like a guess or like a judgment. That’s going to be part of how costs are controlled,” Halperin said before arguing that it’s necessary to ration care.

No, there are no death panels. The government isn’t going to control costs by killing granny. I’m not even going to elaborate on the Independent Payment Advisory Board’s mission because, frankly, I’m beginning to feel like a broken record as are those who trot out the death panel lie every few months.

Halperin is obviously trolling for book sales among conservatives. It’s not a coincidence that he would go on the record with Newsmax to talk death panels.

On the other hand, he may be just as ignorant of the law as this implies. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt by assuming that he’s just trolling.

Anyone who bought his book should feel bad about it if for no other reason than having a title that reads like satirical parody.

Update… Halperin is walking his comments back and now quoting Howard Dean as an excuse.

Howard Dean was among those who said that we should “kill the bill” back in 2010 and he is currently employed as a lobbyist for the healthcare industry. He is not someone you should be quoting to justify a “rationed care” meme.

His interest is in preserving the profits of his employer which the IPAB may threaten.

This entry was posted in Mark Halperin, The Media and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bbcaaat

    What the right ignores is that death panels really do exist in the insurance industry. I know, I hired a lawyer to fight for my rights.

    “That’s the only reason I can come up with for why he would say something this certifiably stupid.”

    Um, Ashby, Halperin is ALWAYS “certifiably stupid“!

  • Badgerite

    The ‘death panels’ by law must include representatives of consumers and the elderly.
    “The board’s proposal ( or that of the Secretary) may not include any recommendation to ration health care, increase Medicare premiums or cost sharing, cut Medicare benefits or restrict eligibility. It must focus exclusively on proposals for achieving savings in payment and delivery of health care services — not shifting costs to beneficiaries.”
    Whatever proposals they come up with can be changed by act of Congress but if those changes result in less of a cost saving a 3/5 vote would be required.
    Doesn’t sound too menacing to me.

    • mdblanche

      Since Medicare spending increases are below the IPAB’s baseline, it won’t even be meeting soon anyway.

  • muselet

    In Mon intv I did not say “death panels” nor do I believe ACA contains them.

    Yes, you did, you useless waste of carbon. What’s that? You didn’t say that exact phrase? Perhaps not, but it was in the frelling question!

    Can someone please explain to me why Mark Halperin is still employed?

    –alopecia

    • missliberties

      He knows people.

      • muselet

        That’s as good an explanation as I’ve ever encountered.

        –alopecia

    • formerlywhatithink

      I read on another websites comment section a perfect translation of Halperin’s excuse:

      Shorter Halperin: I only agreed that there’s death panels, I didn’t say the words “death panel”….also, Obama’s still a dick.

      (h/t to counter_coulter)

      • muselet

        Exactly.

        –alopecia

  • Rollo Tamasi

    “That’s the only reason I can come up with for why he would say something this certifiably stupid.”

    He hates the President. That’s another reason.

  • mrbrink

    “My bad.” I knew it! He’s got a thirteen year old girl trapped inside of him. She’s crying out for help! Someone call the cops!

    A prime example of a manipulative, lying toadie for yellow journalism and the sniveling profit model for a new kennel breed of D.C. media paparazzi instigators. There should be a restraining order placed on his access.

    ‘Health care rationing body’/healthcare bodyguard. Easy mistake for anyone who bet large on the status quo and lost their bottom-feeding meal ticket with the passage of the ACA.