Horrible People

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel was on the verge of forcing National Guard units to provide benefits to same-sex couples in states that have refused to do so themselves, so what did the state of Oklahoma do? Take privileges away from every couple in the National Guard.

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin (R) announced earlier this month that state-owned National Guard facilities will no longer allow any married couples to apply for spousal benefits, regardless of whether they are same-sex or opposite-sex. The Supreme Court’s decision overturning the Defense of Marriage Act means that servicemembers with same-sex spouses are now eligible for federal benefits. Fallin’s unusual tactic is designed to avoid having to recognize those couples, which she asserts would violate Oklahoma’s constitutional amendment limiting marriage to one man and one woman.

What this means is that heterosexual couples will be forced to apply for benefits off base while same-sex couples will have no option at all.

This is going far out of the way to intentionally inflict emotional and economic distress on a group of people. It’s separate but not equal.

And for what? Either it’s against your religious beliefs which have no place in government, or you simply think gays are “icky.” Either way you’re an asshole.

This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    These people are beyond despicable – they’re worth absolutely pig shit to me, support the troops they say while stealing everything they can from them. She and Rick Perry should be strung up from the scaffolding around the Washington monument. This act MUST not stand !! If it does the US should drop a bomb on the Governors mansions of both TX and OK after these despicable twits are bound and gagged and tied to the foundations of said residences.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I see a possible strategy here. As equal rights for gays continue to inevitably expand, encourage the wingnuts in office to start cutting benefits to everyone to avoid providing to gay folks. “Really, cutting off your own nose is really going to make you popular.”

  • D_C_Wilson

    I’ll bet that’s work wonders for the Oklahoma National Guard’s recruitment efforts. “Join the guard and we’ll screw your spouse for you.”

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Some sick part of me finds this hilarious and thinks it’s great. Really? Deny benefits to everyone rather than give them to Teh Gayz? Brilliant! Next thing you know, states are going to start wiping out all of their marriage laws, so no one can get married! Woo hoo!

    I’m sorry but this is hysterical — in more ways than one. I can’t wait to see where this goes.

  • muselet

    Shorter Mary Fallin: I’m running for reelection!

    Wonder if most the Guard people vote like most the active duty? You know, against their own self interests?