Leave of Absence for Lara Logan

60-minutes-benghazi

According to the Associated Press, CBS has ordered Lara Logan and her producer to take an indefinite leave of absence.

NEW YORK (AP) — CBS ordered “60 Minutes” correspondent Lara Logan and her producer to take a leave of absence Tuesday following a critical internal review of their handling of the show’s October story on the Benghazi raid, based on a report on a supposed witness whose story can’t be verified.

I suspect that Logan’s departure may be permanent based on this particular aspect of the internal review of the botched Benghazi bombshell.

The report also said Logan should not have done the story in the first place after making a speech in Chicago a year ago claiming that it was a lie that America’s military had tamed al-Qaeda.

By her own account, Logan and her producer spent at least a year on this story and CBS believes that the story should not have been done in the first place. That’s a lot of time spent on a fake story that shouldn’t have been told.

Among other things, the report also alluded to the idea that Logan may have been biased based on a speech she gave in Chicago last year which was critical of the military and the administration.

This entry was posted in Benghazi, The Media and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    Chez made a good case that Logan is still a rising star and CBS doesn’t want to let her go permanently, but I think that report was her application for a job at Fox.

    • JoyP

      I agree. Make no mistake, Logan is a smart reporter. She knew there were holes in her story and it wasn’t properly vetted. Journalism 101. Did she expect the doubts surrounding the story to be swept under the rug? CBS is trying to hang on to their reputation that was cemented by Cronkite and the original 60 minutes crew. Logan will always be a stain on that reputation now. My guess is she didn’t learn a thing from this. She’ll show up on Fox.

      • DetroitSam

        I think that Scott Pelly should be added to the list of useless excuses for journalists. And don’t for the biggest shill of all time, Bob Schieffer.

        Laura Logan learned something. She learned that because of a pretty face, nice curves and a modicum of intelligence she can grift for almost a year on a non-story and lie to the American public thereby muddying the waters (just as she intended all along). And if she gets hired by Fox with a fat salary and another national platform to mislead the American public, she will have learned that shitting on the truth (and us) pays off. To heck with the American Dream! That’s an outdated concept best left on the editing room floor of 21st Century propaganda. The new, quintessential American story writ large by people like Logan is about the success of grifters with pretty smiles hiding ugly agendas that hurt this country by misleading a goodly portion of voters who are already terrified of non-existent threats from the last yellow journalist to blow through town.

        (Crossposted at my blog)

  • Ipecac

    I’m a very forgiving person and hate it when people are thrown under the bus for work performance that isn’t their fault or subject to the media scandal machine.

    But in this case, I’m pretty happy about this. Good riddance. Sheesh.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Yeah. This deliberately false report wasn’t not her fault. On the contrary, very much her doing.

  • muselet

    [CBS News Chairman and 60 Minutes Executive Producer Jeff] Fager said he prides himself on catching almost everything, “but this deception got through and it shouldn’t have.” There was no word about whether Fager will face any repercussions for his role.

    Someone at the AP has a strange sense of humor.

    The “60 Minutes” piece relied on testimony by Dylan Davies, a security official who was given a pseudonym in the report. The newsmagazine believed his account that he was at the scene even after informing CBS that he told his employers that he wasn’t there — something that [CBS News executive Al] Ortiz [who did the review] said should have raised a “red flag” about his story.

    A few days later, The Washington Post said that Davies had filed a report with his employer, Blue Mountain, that he was at his villa on the night of the attack and not at the mission. CBS went back to Davies, who insisted he had been at the attack scene and had told that to the FBI, so Fager defended the “60 Minutes” story.

    A week later, The New York Times reported that Davies had told the FBI that he was not on the scene. Within hours, CBS confirmed the Times story, which was later corroborated by a State Department source, and said that a correction would be issued.

    (Emphasis added.)

    “Hey, you told us you levitated over a twelve-foot wall and fought terrorists hand-to-hand, but you told your bosses you were drinking mai tais on the beach.” “Yeah, about that. I lied to them. I told you and the FBI the truth.” “Oh, okay. Sorry to bother you.”

    Jeff Fager screwed up and should be enjoying a well-earned firing right about now, along with Lara Logan and Max McClellan. Instead, Fager will probably be promoted.

    Maybe next time, he can torch the entire network.

    –alopecia

  • ranger11

    Except for the accent it seems like she’s the perfect Foxie. An amazing fit.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Blond and willing to lie to push her agenda.

      Yup, almost ready made for Fox.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Lighten up those highlights and she’s perfect. The accent will just mesmerize the yokels and make her stand out among the rest of the newsmodels.

  • Ellen Kuhlmann

    Wow, a year on the story? Hard to believe she/they didn’t know it was false. I liked her before this, but can’t help thinking she knew the story didn’t hold up (although she may believe it is what happened) and decided to go forward knowing that it would make a splash and that any retraction/revision later would not take away the negative effects on the Obama Administration