Obamacare Success Stories

They’re beginning to appear in the news. Finally. The LA Times profiled some success stories that will hopefully gain more traction in the coming months. For example:

David Shevlino, 51, is an artist in Delaware. Between the COBRA policy that extends the coverage his wife, Kathy, received at a former job and the bare-bones policy that covers himself and their 15-year-old son, they’ve been laying out $1,000 a month in premiums. Next year they’ll pay $650 a month, after the government subsidy, for a plan through Blue Cross of Delaware that covers the entire family and provides many services that have been excluded up to now.

And…

And Judith Silverstein, 49, a Californian who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2007. Her family helps her pay the $750 monthly cost of her existing plan–which she only had because of federal law requiring that insurers who provide employer-based insurance continue to offer coverage if the employer goes out of business, as hers did. Next year she’ll get a subsidy that will get her a good “silver” level plan for $50.

And…

Jason Noble, 44, who has his own property management firm in Southern California, found a gold plan that will cover his wife and their three children–a daughter, 9, and 5-year-old twins–for a little less than $1,300 a month. That’s slightly more than they’d be paying next year for their existing Blue Shield plan, but the benefits are much greater, including pediatric dental coverage. Their family deductible will fall from $3,400 to zero. Last year, the family had a health scare that ran them $1,800 in out-of-pocket expenses; a similar event next year would cost them nothing. “It’s definitely a good deal,” Noble says.

More articles like this, please.

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • formerlywhatithink

    I’ll take Things You’ll Never Hear on Fox for $500.

  • Ryan Gray

    The best thing is, though, this isn’t a success that needs the press as much. This isn’t like Iran or Syria, or deficit reduction, that the public will only know about in direct relation to how much coverage they get in the media. This is a success that is happening directly to people themselves. And the more and more of these success stories there are, and they will be growing every day as the implementation reaches fruition, the more hollow and desperate the right’s horror stories will seem. It’s one case where the liberal bias of truth cannot be obscured or shouted over.

    • Badgerite

      I like ‘green eggs and ham’. I like them Sam I am.

    I’m happy and excited to hear these success stories. Unfortunately, I still haven’t been able to enroll. The website has an error that is preventing me from completing the enrollment process and every time I call the 800 number their computers are down. I’m pretty frustrated BUT I will keep trying and eventually I will finish the process. I know this because there ARE positive stories out there and I believe and support this initiative. Every single person that gets helped is going to buttress Obamacare and help to ensure this legacy for many generations to come.

    • i_a_c

      Just wondering, did you make the account fairly early in the website’s existence? If you did, you might consider starting over with a new account. I’ve read accounts of people who have done that and that the process was smooth after that.

        Yeah, I was trying to avoid that but it’s a good suggestion. Thanks!

        • i_a_c

          Unfortunately it seems that some of the profiles created early on are corrupt beyond repair. It might be your only option. Good luck!

  • Christopher Foxx

    The headline on that story is “The Obamacare success stories you haven’t been hearing about”. They left out “from us”.

  • Badgerite

    And thus the name, let’s all say it together now, The PATIENT PROTECTION AND AFFORDABLE CARE ACT. A moniker that, unlike the ‘Patriot’ Act, actually fits the legislation.

  • drspittle

    I have not had health insurance (except a dental plan) for about 3 years. I was finally able to get my application through online with the help of the ACA hotline (I did end up creating a new account but on the application I didn’t put my name exactly as it was on my Social Security card and I couldn’t seem to fix it. The ACA rep fixed it and I was finally able to find out available options and prices). Well, I found out I do not qualify for any subsidies and the cost of the cheapest Bronze plan is too high for me (500/mo). I’m going to not take any insurance and pay the penalty in 2014. Fortunately, I’m eligible for Medicare in October of 2014. So while I’m disappointed I can’t afford policies, I’m glad there are so many folks who are experiencing real benefits from this. Also, I like knowing that any supplemental insurance I get for Medicare will have to meet ACA standards (I think that is true).

    • stacib23

      Wow, what a difference location makes. In Illinois, I can get a bronze plan (according to the website) for about $250. I will also qualify for a subsidy. That”s too bad for you, but good lookin’ out for society.

  • http://www.winningprogressive.org Winning Progressive

    We’re collecting and sharing ObamaCare success stories – https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/115201227068325228911/communities/113495999150558757220

    Please join us and help spread the word that the Affordable Care Act is helping real Americans throughout the country.