Of Course He Does

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker speaks at the RNC in Tampa, Florida (Reuters)

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker speaks at the RNC in Tampa, Florida (Reuters)

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker believes the next Republican nominee for president should be a governor, of course, but the other criteria he lays out may exclude him.

“I think it’s got to be an outsider. I think both the presidential and the vice presidential nominee should either be a former or current governor, people who have done successful things in their states, who have taken on big reforms, who are ready to move America forward,” Walker said on ABC’s “This Week” Sunday morning. [...]

“I don’t rule anything out,” he said when asked about a potential run.

If we’re looking for a candidates who have “done successful things in their states,” Scott Walker may not make the short list.

On the other hand, the Lunatic Base of the Republican party may view things differently. To them, gross privatization, deregulation, union busting, cutting education, and cutting Medicaid may be viewed has shinning accomplishments in leadership.

Walker says the next Republican nominee should be someone who is “exceptionally removed from Washington,” but that certainly doesn’t include him. Walker is joined at the hip to House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan’s economic roadmap of budget cuts and tax cuts. Wisconsin has been a veritable test-bed for the Ryan budget and the results haven’t been pretty. The state has remained at the bottom or near the bottom in job creation during Walker’s tenure.

During his appearance on This Week, Walker tried to display his Washington Outsider bona fides by saying that he believes shutting the government down was a bad idea. He prefers circumventing the democratic process instead.

This entry was posted in Election 2016 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I’m betting the Koch brothers promised Scott Walker that if what Charlie Pierce calls his “campaign book … ghosted by torture-porn enthusiast Marc Thiessen” does well, they’d bankroll his run for president.

    In three months, expect Americans for Prosperity to be giving away multiple copies with every donation of more than $10. Also, expect Scott Walker to sink without a trace during the primaries.

      Scott Walker, Rand Paul, Chris Christie, Kane from the WWE…I’m betting that the Kochs will be bankrolling every candidate on the GOP’s nomination panel either directly or indirectly. But mostly directly.

      • muselet

        Sad to say, you’re probably right.

    I’m sure turning your state into a subsidiary of Koch, Inc is consider a huge success in teabagistan.

  • Badgerite

    They have another mining bill they are waiting to spring on the public in the western part of the state where sand mines that sell sand to fracking interests are located and have had serious issues with air pollution and other detrimental effects due to the mines. Apparently the bill they want would “prevent local governments from using ‘police powers’ to restrict non-metallic mines, pre-empting their ability to set standards on things such as air and water quality.”
    I think that puts in high relief what the priorities of the Walker administration are.